Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #1 
karlhague

Possible Tank Mates in my 30ltr ( 8 US Gallons ) Tank

Hi there I'm currently researching into betta Care BEFORE i actually go out and buy one.

I have got in my bedroom a 30 Liter (8 usa gallons) Tank, with Filter and Heater.

Looking into what plants Bettas prefer at the minute.

I have been told That Jullii Cory's or pygmy corys (5 of either) would be suitable to go with a ~ Male Betta.

Is there anything else i could keep with a Betta?

I have a Gravel Substrate..

Any Help/ Advice and experiances Appreciated greatly.

Thanks
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #2 
JB5

Ghost shrimp are always good, they are pretty fun to watch. And they are really cheap just incase your betta decides they make a good meal.
JB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #3 
Sarada

Cory's are so much fun :D
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Cory's are so much fun :D

Yea they Are I absolutley love The Jullii Cory's Saw them in the local LFS, and the dude has now sold out, and wont tell me when hes getting more.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #5 
Adastra

That's weird--most LFS will let you order fish through them and then call you when the fish are there to be picked up. Sounds like a rude shop owner that doesn't want your business.

Anyway, you should be able to have six cories in the tank, it will be a little cramped but you should definitely take the time to do a fishless cycle on the tank before you get your cories. It would be best to put the cories in before the betta to reduce his aggressive response to them--and cories are not good candidates for fish-in cycling at all. Besides, if you do a fishless cycle you could add the whole school at once rather than adding a couple of fish at a time and waiting for the tanks biological capacity to catch up.

This guide will give you an overview of the nitrogen cycle: http://aqadvisor.com/articles/Cycling.php
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #6 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
That's weird--most LFS will let you order fish through them and then call you when the fish are there to be picked up. Sounds like a rude shop owner that doesn't want your business.

Anyway, you should be able to have six cories in the tank, it will be a little cramped but you should definitely take the time to do a fishless cycle on the tank before you get your cories. It would be best to put the cories in before the betta to reduce his aggressive response to them--and cories are not good candidates for fish-in cycling at all. Besides, if you do a fishless cycle you could add the whole school at once rather than adding a couple of fish at a time and waiting for the tanks biological capacity to catch up.

This guide will give you an overview of the nitrogen cycle: http://aqadvisor.com/articles/Cycling.php
I wil be cycling the tank Fishlessly,, and will read that article..

Which Cories would be best?

I like the two i stated before, but wasnt sure if there were some I overlooked, I will probably buy a bigger tank next year too LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 
Sarada

Type of Cory doesn't matter, all on personal preference.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #8 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Type of Cory doesn't matter, all on personal preference.
Don't Some types of Cory's get huge tho?

Or am i thinking of other breeds of catfish here ,LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #9 
Alex09

I think they are all around the same size. We used to have a few bronze cories (Pic) back when my parents had a tropical fish tank in the kitchen. They lived around 3 years if I remember right. They are quite hardy and fun to watch.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #10 
Adastra

There are tons of different species of cory, some get bigger than others, most that we are acquainted with seeing in the pet store are considered dwarf cories, which are about 2" long max, some get to be over 4", few are larger than that, iirc. Pygmy cories are the smallest variety, and are the most practical for stocking in smaller tanks.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-09-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote