Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

It is said that the natural tannins released by IAL help to strengthen fins and harden scales. Its also supposed to be great as a preventative measure for some ailments. The dark water also makes fish feel calmer.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #12 
PeiMai

Ok so this would definitely be a good thing then. Where can I find it???
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

You can buy them offline. Almost everyone I talk to gets theirs from amy-lim off ebay.

Oak leaves work also but you have to be sure that they are in fact oak leaves, aren't treated chemically (pesticides, etc), and don't have any fugus, etc.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #14 
Lion Mom

Here is some good info on using IAL:

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php

And here is where I got mine (I am very happy with the price, quality and speed of shipping):

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/80...-leaves-5-pack
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #15 
doggyhog

I just throw mine into the tank. It takes a few days for the color to change. I might make some IAL extract, but it takes too long. :P Not that patient.
Here's a pic of one of my tanks after a few days. They tint the water faster if you break them up.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #16 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
I just throw mine into the tank. It takes a few days for the color to change. I might make some IAL extract, but it takes too long. :P Not that patient.
Here's a pic of one of my tanks after a few days. They tint the water faster if you break them up.
Yeah - I'm not going to bother with the tea anymore.

Thanks for all the replies!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #17 
FloridaBettas239

I take a big handful of grade C leave's and crush them up really good. Then I put them in a coffee filter and tie it shut with fishing line. I let the it brew for a while and then turn it off and let it cool. Then I have a gallon jug of conditioned water with enough room to fit the black water extract I made. I dump it into the gallon jug which get's really dark brown, Then if the jug is at the right temp I will go and dump the water from the jug in each tank I want it in. And I watch the tanks water turn brown color, when I think that's enough I back off and go to the next tank....
I have never overdosed a betta on IAL extract or just the leaves them self's. When breeding I like to put a lot of the black water extract in that tank. It make the bubbles so sticky even the female can almost blow a nest. Just from breathing the male's bubble's that go to the surface wont even pop which make's thing's 100x better for the male, he dont have to work so hard, on his nest or keeping the fry in. I have had the water so brown you couldn't tell if the betta was blue or red lol...
just add it untill the water starts turning brown, you will get the fill for it.. You ain't going kill them.. With IAL im sure they get ton's of it in the wild...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #18 
vilmarisv

Does it matter if the leaves are grade C or grade A.
Obviously the A are more expensive but are they not as effective?
I ask because I ordered a few grade A and wonder if I got the wrong kind.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

From what I've read it doesn't matter. Grade A leaves are just "prettier" than grade C

The leaves I have are grade C and they work wonderfully! Personally I don't think I'll ever order anything above grade C. I think the grades are just based on the condition of the leaf. The more tears, etc, the lower the grade.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #20 
vilmarisv

Thanks, that's what I understood from my readings.
I just bought a few to use until I can go visit my mom in Puerto Rico and get some myself. We used to have a tree in the yard when I was growing up but it got cut down. IAL trees are very common over there so I'm sure one of the neighbors has one. If not, I'll go get them from the tree at my old college
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote