Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 
ParisRose

Fin Rot Battle

Napoleon has had fin rot since the start of July. I noticed it and after a couple of water changes it didn't go away. Went to the petstore and the guy gave me something called Quick Cure. It's blue. I've been doing two drops a day for three days 50% change and then restarting the meds.

The other day I was doing some electrical work and accidently pulled his extension cord. (it powers filter and the light) When I plugged it back in I realized the filter wasn't running. He's in a TopFin two gallon hexagonal aquarium with an undergravel filter. Anyway I shook the filter and soooo much debris came off it. I thought hmmm no wonder it's been this bad. So I did a 100% change and scalded the grave and decor (just a silk flower and a mug and a slilk lillypad) He looked happier in the clean water. Then I woke up today and the new growth had been shredded.

In summary it's been like that for a while. It will stop and new fins will grow. Then I'll wake up one morning and BAM! part of his tail is shredded... again. I keep the water at 80-83 degrees F. Please help me. I only have 3 days until school starts and I want this under control before then.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 
ParisRose

I am also thinking (since the stupid UGF has been causing so many problems) that I would buy a new tank/filter kit thing. I was looking at a 2.5 gal mini bow desk tank. The filter isn't a UGF do you guys think it would help. It's also a wider tank. The current one is really tall.

Thanks so much guys.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 
Adastra

This sounds like tail biting and not fin rot. Fin rot will not cause the fins to have a ripped, torn, or shredded appearance. It can infect torn tissue, but usually when it is the culprit of fin loss, it appears that the fin is receding rather smoothly. Infected tissue will have a gray to black crusty edging. If this is not the case, then your fish is a tail biter--and from the sound of it, his biting is triggered by stress. It is extremely rare to see a fish actually bite its fins, they tend to do it at night or when we're not around to distract them.

How often and what percentage of the water are you changing with each change? Does the fish have an adjustable heater? Keeping the water as clean as possible will keep him from catching any sicknesses. Using aquarium salt for a few days may be helpful, but other than that, clean water will work best.

In this case, I don't think Quick Cure was the right product for you--iirc, Quick Cure is malachite green and formalin, something which should be used on external parasites. Your fish does not have external parasites, so I don't recommend using this product unless he comes down with them at a later time.

I like Marineland Eclipse model tank kits. The three gallon one is very well designed--it is a very light and durable acrylic with a power filter and a fluorescent light that can support low light live plants. It's also a rather short and wide design to maximize swimming space. I've cycled a couple of these successfully and they have been very stable betta homes for awhile now.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 
ParisRose

Is there any way to tell the difference. It does have a shredded look to it. the fin rays are still there but the fin between it is completely missing. It seems like as soon as it starts to heal it dissappears.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #5 
Adastra

Sounds like biting. Nipping between the rays is a very common bite pattern--I'm guessing that the tall hex design doesn't give the fish much area to swim around or much environmental enrichment. This is probably another source of the neurotic behavior. Does he have a lot of decorations in the tank? I would suggest minimizing the decorations to one leafy plant that covers most of the top section and one cave for him to hide in at the bottom. This tank also has an incandescent light on it that's probably causing stressful temperature fluctuations. Also, the UGF in a tank that small is powered by an air pump, right? The bubble stream is probably causing current in the tank that the fish can't escape from, which can be another problem. I would keep the light and the filter off until you can get him a new tank.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #6 
BerkB33

You're not alone. I've got a ten gallon tank that's got 4 compartments. Been battling "rot" since I introduced the 4th inhabitant 2 months ago. Now all 4 bettas are infected. I've done 100% water changes daily, run temperature at 80 degrees F, and I resorted to tetracycline treatment for 7 days...and it's back...all 4 of the guys, still infected.

Is your tank cycled? I have 4 other bettas, all alone in 2 gallon tanks. Had only 1 instance of fin rot when the fish are alone and un-cycled? Hopefully somebody has a way we can go here...other than seperating the grouped bettas I don't have a solution. In your situation I believe that doing a "complete clean", as you did, will help a great deal...good luck!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #7 
Adastra

BerkB, I suggest making a new thread and describing your problem. This particular fish being discussed doesn't actually have anything wrong with it other than the fact that it's a little neurotic and stressed out, which has caused it to bite itself. It's possible that your fish may be in a similar situation and that you might be medicating them unnecessarily for it.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 
ParisRose

Here's a pic if it makes it clearer for anyone. I wasn't really aware of other forms of fin loss. I actually have no idea if it's cycled I think I lost patience with it. But until recently he was fine. The only decor is a small mug with a silk plant in it and a small lilly pad that floats on top. I pulled the plug on the filter and light. As for the meds I'm discontinuing them now.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #9 
BerkB33

Adastra, you have my curiousity aroused...but I'm an old guy and I'm having trouble remembering where and how to start a thread...please inform on my profile page.

The picture does show some "shreading", which, in the past, I would've called fin rot. What do Adastra, OFL, some of the "experienced" betta people say? This issue is starting to frustrate me some. When I start the thread I'll post a pic or two and hopefully get both our problems solved. Good Luck!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #10 
Adastra

We've all been there before. :) This definitely looks like tail biting to me--fish bite their tails out of boredom, stress, and for reasons we don't understand. I think it's possible that ammonia had been steadily building up in the tank because of all the debris in the filter--it's unlikely that the tank was reliably cycled, during this time he adapted to the ammonia, so when you changed it all out it was probably a bit shocking for him.

I would do 100% water changes on the tank every 3-4 days, making sure that everything is washed with hot water during the change. Acclimate him to the new water slowly by floating him in the tank, and then slowly pouring out the old water and putting small amounts of new water into the cup until the cup only contains new, clean water. When the old and new water are very similar (same source, same additives, same temp) I do this over the course of 15-20 minutes. When any of these factors are different, I stretch it out over 45 minutes to an hour.

You might want to add a bushier silk plant to give him more cover near the middle/top of the tank. Hopefully this will help relieve some stress by giving him a new place to hide, and relieve some of the boredom by giving him a new thing to explore and check out.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-09-2010 at 02:19 PM.