Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1 
PACfish

Best divider material ?

Any suggestions ? I saw this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls at PetSmart, but was considering clear plexiglass or glass, with tons of tiny holes drilled through it to let water pass through.

Other than cost, the plexiglass or glass wouldn't be an issue. I have access to a glass shop where I could get this.

PAC.
PACfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #2 
Phoxly

Don't get those dividers :( they fail. I got some at petco which have flat bumpers on them that rest against the tank, not bad but the material is hard to flatten and it gets lopsided. If you have access to plexiglass go for it. Its great, I want to get some for my next divider project.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #3 
PACfish

Would there be a reason to use one over the other (Plexi vs. Glass) ?

Should I get clear or tinted/colored to reduce thier ability to see each other ?

I've heard that a Betta with an agressive personality will actually ram the glass to get to a reflection or another fish on the other side, is that true ? I've never personally seen that, just flaring.

PAC.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
Phoxly

If you can get a good fit, with some aquarium glue/sealant/silicone glass would look better if you can drill it without breaking it, plexiglass is just easy to drill (normal drill works). My dad worked with glass for 20 years and said he'd help me when I wanted to do a divided tank.

If you put plants/decorations up against the divider to break their constant view of eachother that would be best. I put java ferns up against my dividers and they rarely flared at eachother, sometimes one will just ignore the other and one will go nuts lol. I've never seen them "ram" but I have heard of them jumping the divider >__<
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #5 
PACfish

I have a friend that works at a small business that cuts custom glass and plexiglass. Getting glass to just the right size, with the holes already in it won't be an issue, nor would be getting it colored.

I think I'll try clear first and decorate appropriatley like you said, see if that doesn't do the trick.

Just planning ahead for my next project.

PAC.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #6 
Amour

Actually, what would be REALLY easy and inexpensive would be to buy some plastic embroidery netting (Clicky.) from somewhere like walmart. We bought six large sheets of it for like four dollars. And then get some of those portfolio plastic holders, you know the kind you used to have to get for college to turn in projects. Clicky. The plastic slider from the outside of that.

You slide the plastic slider onto each side of the plastic canvas cut to the size of your tank. And presto! Easy and inexpensive divider!

You can even cut it to fit around your heater and stuff if you have a big one. That's what my husband did for me.

Here's a semi-picture of mine:

Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #7 
Sarada

Amour is that siliconed in or anything?
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #8 
gahcrazy

Like Amour said, try google-ing tank deviders. Thats how i made my deviders and they work great.
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #9 
Amour

Oh yeah.. forgot to add that part. You don't need to silicone it in, you just have to get two little suction cup things from the fish section at the pet store for each side (four in all) and stick one on each side of the divider and it keeps it in place.

Here I stopped being lazy and took a picture to show what I mean.

P.S. I suck at taking pictures. My husband takes them for me, so this one is really blurry.
Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #10 
Sarada

I like that jug decor
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote