Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 
Saroar

Question How Do you Use a Siphon?

I hope I don't sound dumb, but I just don't know how to start the siphon. Do I just put it in and the water automatically goes through the tube? Should I suck the tube to get the water started? I purchased my betta, William, last week, had him in a vase for a few days, then moved him to a 2.5 gallon with a filter. So that's technically one 100% water change. I'm going to need to do a water change soon, so if somebody could tell me how to use the siphon I would be very greatful. :) I'm sure William will be as well.

Also, how often should I do water changes and what percentage? Like I said, 2.5 gallon with a filter.

Thank you in advance.
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

To start the siphon I just stick one end in the aquarium and suck on the other end. There's a way to do it without sucking but I stick with what works easiest LOL

As for water changes... do a search on "cycling" your tank. Just having a filter isn't enough, you have to get a colony of bacteria growing in your tank. There is a sticky about cycling in the Betta Habitat's section. I highly recommend you look that over.

Until you cycle you need to do 100% water changes. For a 2.5 gallon I would do 2-3 100% changes a week. After you cycle you can do 1-2 50% changes a week.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #3 
Saroar

I've already read about cycling and decided that I would just do the water changes before I even bought my betta. Haha. I don't have enough patience to cycle, although I might do a fish-in cycle. Who knows.

For now I will stick to the water changes.

Thank you for your answer and input. :)
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 
PeiMai

Ok This I can help with. What you do is submerge or fill the line with water from somewhere. Get most of it full and stick one end into the tank you want to siphon out of. Place the other end in your bucket and make sure this end is the lowest point of your hose. Remove thumb and watch the magic happen.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
gbose

Siphon

As PeiMai said, you want your entire siphon tube full of water. Then -- without letting any air into the tube -- get one end into a bucket below the level of the tank.

And let it flow....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #6 
FishyFriend1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3R_vFXPGs
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 
chargers505

How do you not know how to use a siphon lol!! You should actually try to give it a shot before you gave up. Anyway, like everybody here said, fill the tube up with water from the faucet. Make sure the temp of the water in your siphoning tube is close to the temp of your aquarium water. Just in case you spill some water from the tube into the aquarium (which you probably will).
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #8 
fflores

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEBbjKK5xQ

it is amazing how many people don't know how to start a siphon, or more interestingly, those that don't understand how it works
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #9 
FishyFriend1

@ fflores, some of can't do that because like me, we have a hexagon tank, so what i do if ill the tube in the bathroom and walk with my thumbs over the opening and put it back in the tank.....
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 
fflores

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzRZM...eature=related
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote