Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #1 
Cloelia

Internal Bacterial Infection

Poor little Gareth is sick again.

Some of you may remember that he was sick at the end of May with a huge red patch on his side with raised scales over it, and he stopped eating and started floating sideways. With lots of care, he eventually got better.

Then, I moved him up to a bigger tank, and he refused to eat. I figured it was just him getting used to his surroundings, but after almost 2 months of waiting for Gareth to eat something, I eventually moved him back to the little tank. He was so happy...he ate voraciously and even built a bubble nest, which he has never done before.

That lasted for about two weeks until I did a full water change. All of a sudden, he stopped eating, and a few days later, he developed these huge, red bulges above his eyes (Not pop eye, it seems to be another bacterial infection). He is again resting on his side, and he's starting to look really skinny. I've started him on the same treatment as before, but it's not looking so good.

My question is, how did this happen? I keep his bowl very clean, especially after he got the first infection. Is it possible that it is a resurgance of the same infection (i.e., he never really got rid of it before) or could I be getting bacteria through the tap water? Could his immune system be compromised from his last illness or is he just really unlucky?
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote