Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1 
Wildfire

How often do you take your bettas out of their tanks?

I'm planning on doing a 50% change once a week, and clean the plants/decor in his tank every other week. When I clean the plants and such, I'm going to take him out of his tank temporarily for like, 30 minutes while I rinse the plants. I'm going to keep him in his store bought cup while I do so.

Would that be alright? I use a turkey baster to clean the gravel, I have an air filter thing. When the water is down 50%, I'll wipe the sides of the tank and all that. Would I need to do 100% water changes? (of course, if he ever shows signs of sickness, I would do so, but right now he is healthy and happy.)
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 
kuklachica

It is ok that he is out of his tank for a bit.

How big is your tank?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 
PeiMai

Now when you guys do these 100% water changes, do you re-acclimate the fish(the whole floating routine) or is it straight back into the tank? If you do float them again do you need to do the full 1 hour bit introducing the new water? Wouldn't mind having a sticky thread with a step by step procedure that everyone on here agrees is pretty accurate.
I've had my guy two days and am wondering with everything thats been going on(he's looked pretty stressed out) if I should mess with his water in these first days?
I'm thinking I should probably wait a little bit as he hasn't eatin maybe more than one piece of food so he can't really be producing much waste, right?
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 
Sarada

I always check the temp of the tank before I take him out and the temp after I refill, cleaning takes a couple minutes so if the temps are bang on I just out him back in.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #5 
PeiMai

ok I was just wondering everyone talks about these water changes but I haven't seen anyone actually write out what exactly they do step by step. I'm still too far nervous to change his water yet. Although as the day wears on he seems to be more comfortable....
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #6 
kikuhoshi

I always acclimate for a little bit, if only because I add aq. salt dead last. Once it's dissolved completely, I put my fish back in. It works for me. :)
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #7 
PeiMai

ok I haven't used salt in his tank. Maybe that will help. I think that waiting a few days before i change anything else would be a good idea though
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #8 
Wildfire

My tank is a 2 gallon. (:

I also have another question - if the surface of my tank is filled with bubbles, my betta can still breathe, right? Or do I need to periodically pop the bubbles? I mean, the bubbles fill the entire surface of the water. /:
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #9 
Sarada

He can still breath.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #10 
naturegirl243

Right now I am taking carlisle out everyday and doing 50% changes(he has ick though) I am doing a 100% change later.I put him in the cup that my first betta came in who is dead now =( cause he did not come with one(he was a decoration at my uncles wedding reception) he gets a little stressed about it cause he is an old nerotic man lol but he deals and is fine.Yours should be fine in the cup for a water change.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote