Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #1 
myexplodingcat

Wink Guys, I spend too much time on this forum.

I just realized I have 843 posts on this forum. Like, seriously. This is my 844th.

I've been here four months. I mean, really. I didn't even rack up posts this fast on the MBTI forum I was part of for a long time... it took me a long time to get to 1000 posts, and since we knew all the intricacies of typology and the different methods of figuring out how people thought, I was always explaining stuff to people and whatnot to newcomers. (Although it has to be said I was always half-afraid to post without quadruple-checking everything because the people there were nasty if they didn't agree with you or thought your logic had faults in it. The folks here are MUCH nicer.)

I think I just spend waaaaay too much time here. Is that bad? >< *shakes head*

I also know dramatically more about fish than is ever considered normal. If you'd asked me what black water was four months ago, I'd have looked at you funny and probably suggested that if your tank had black water, then, uh, change the water? Like, are your fish dying or what?

And now I know how to diagnose and treat a slew of fish diseases. I know the names of dozens of underwater plants, even if I can't pronounce them. I have shipped some of those plants--successfully. I have shipped a fish--also successfully. I can recognize so many abbreviations used to describe bettas that it's enough for a short game of Scrabble. I'm definitely in the process of getting Multiple Tank Syndrome.

I have gone from "Well, I researched enough not to get a vase, so I'm doing something right... wait, what do you mean I need water conditioner?" to "Yes, Dad, this is a nearly complete ecosystem in a box."

In four months.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN.

Does anybody understand? I seriously don't get it.

Oh, well, I wasn't normal anyway.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #2 
MameJenny

You're only slightly worse than I am. Silly naive Mame, thinking she could get a 1gal bowl to keep a betta in so she'd have something living on her desk. 5 1/2 months later and I have 4 permanent tanks and 8 fish. Now, it wasn't my first time with fish, but it's the first time I dove in head first. (Pun intended.) I'm somewhat obsessed. I mean, I easily spend an hour a day watching the fish. I've gotten fish in the mail (OK, that one was connected to your similar experience. ). I talk about the fish constantly. I talk about my mystery snails with strangers, and I talk about planted tanks with my boss. I mean, it's weird.

I think I have 600-something posts, and I joined 2 years ago. I did take a 1 1/2 year break, though.

Oh, and the "nearly complete ecosystem in a box" thing. I've said those EXACT WORDS to explain my NPTs to people. Of course, my parents are more impressed that I don't have a cloudy green mess with a "no fishing" sign and a bunch of dying goldfish. (Bad couple of experiences with my mom's/"my" old childhood tank.)

Last edited by MameJenny; 08-14-2014 at 05:35 AM.
MameJenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #3 
myexplodingcat

Haha, at least I only have two fish/three tanks so far.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #4 
hrutan

You're not alone. 688 posts, two months in. Went from a single, ill and chilly betta in a kritter keeper at work to three bettas including a rescue, a 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon, and 75 gallon tank in progress, plus two more tanks that have no plans yet. I've learned about new tank syndrome, water chemistry, betta care, and fish care in general. I joined the IBC and am going to my first chapter meeting this month...my roommate and I are scouting pet stores and fish fancying...

It is an obsession, but a good one!
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #5 
Aeon

i c nothing wrong with any of this
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #6 
litelboyblu

Well, I have 1,010 post :3 been about a year and I've spent some time off of here for a period of time... Maybe I post way too much XD...? Im homing 5 Bettas lots of fry and 3 goldfish :3... I had more before sadly they passed away :( my highest record of Bettas was a total of 9!!! ;) But your not crazy... WERE ALL CRAZY XD keeping tons of Bettas, and plants... Yup, we're all like each other and have a common interest in some sort of way ^__^!!!!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #7 
305Betta

Yep. I feels. I went from none to 6 fish in a few days more than a month lol I've spent WAY too much money making that happen lolol. I think my lowest was when I walked into a friends parents house and politely asked if I could have some of their used filter media from a tank they had. I've spent countless hours reading on this forum aswell. It kinda sucks me in!
305Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #8 
thekinetic

Eh I spend time doings things most would consider a waste of time but to them I say you just don't understand what I'm doing. Yeah that confuses them long enough for me to leave the room and avoid anymore questions! X3
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #9 
Islandgaliam

Not even gonna look at how many posts in 7 months...7 tanks bought in 7 months, lights, plants that I should know the name of like the back of my hand but I can't remember those crazy words..and ferts!...who ever knew ya needed these? I thought all it took was a lil sun and dirt..oh yea, that's not the native Washington back yard I'm trying to grow any more...and the vet who seemed impessed that anyone would even know about betta diseases and trying to treat them, and keeping the water extra clean when ya have to haul your own water with the use of one hand........I could carry on - lol...what a fun, crazy hobby this is!
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #10 
Alaura123

I am on here more than 10 times a day, reading about 50 threads daily, so I might already be at the same length as you in this. xD
Alaura123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addicted, family thinks i'm nuts, they're right, wasn't normal anyway, z i lold at the tags