Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #1 
FinnDublynn

Oh, my...

Ran across this on a BuzzFeed list called "$#*^ My Kid Ruined"...

Parentís explanation: My 3 year old thought our fish would enjoy an entire container of black pepper for breakfast!
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #2 
Zippy2014

Oh my. A friend I work with had this trouble with his daughter over doing it on the fish food. It's the first time I've seen it with pepper. Looks like the fish got out in time :)
Zippy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #3 
FinnDublynn

Oh, god, right? Yay for the fishes! I wonder if the 3yo thought the pepper WAS fish food??
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #4 
Ganggreenkhan

Worse than kids on the lawn.
Ganggreenkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #5 
InStitches

wow and ouch. Wouldn't that hurt? I know I don't like that stuff in my eyes.
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #6 
Elleth

>.< I'm really, really hoping to avoid anything like this when I have kids. Hoping that including them in caring for the pets with supervision, and teaching them the right way to do things and why it's so important to do this the right way, will go a long ways.
Elleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #7 
FinnDublynn

Yeah... it would be a hard thing to keep grabby hands away from the tanks and from doing something like this... but at the same time, we can only speculate on how well cared for the goldfish were to begin with, whether or not the parents DID spend time educating the kids and showing proper techniques, or if it was just another "here baby, have some goldfish because you can't have a puppy" situation.. I would LIKE to think that kids would be more wary and behaved when the tanks are well taken care of and the kids see that...

But, kids will be kids, too..
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #8 
bubblesaurus

Not proud of it, but I did something similar when I was about three or four. I thought the betta needed more bubbles in his bowl.... fish + bubbles = no more fish. I also thought my sister's community tank looked hungry and dumped an ENTIRE container of fish flakes into the 5.5 gallon. They all suffocated.

Kids are something else they are small, they get ideas into their heads and act quickly without thinking.
bubblesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #9 
FinnDublynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesaurus View Post
Not proud of it, but I did something similar when I was about three or four. I thought the betta needed more bubbles in his bowl.... fish + bubbles = no more fish. I also thought my sister's community tank looked hungry and dumped an ENTIRE container of fish flakes into the 5.5 gallon. They all suffocated.

Kids are something else they are small, they get ideas into their heads and act quickly without thinking.
Very true. And you want to encourage them to have an imagination and think outside the box.. but when they're they young, its hard to balance the other half which is, "Just cause you HAD the idea... doesn't mean you go THRU with the idea..."

I did something similar, too, once. Lucky for me, the fish survived... But when I was still young, I was angry at my sister because my fish died, and she used his death in a game of charades the DAY he passed.. and I was MAD. When I cleaned the tank that next time, I decided that since all MY fish were gone... and only HERS were in there... maybe I just don't put the dechlorinator in the 'Holding tank" (AKA, the Kitchen sink... lol). Well, I felt REALLY BAD about it, and I thought just moving them to the dechlorinated tank wouldn't be enough, I thought I had to decontaminate them... SO... I laid each one out on the counter and splashed the with straight bechlorinator... they ALL SURVIVED, I don't know how. but I'm very thankful for it now, later in life. Nothing more vengeful than heartbroken 7year old lemme tell you that...

(*then again, I grew up basically hating my sister. So, you know, I spent as much time as I could trying to destroy her.... and doing anything and everything horrible that I could. Like her ever so beloved MMMBop CD that was nearly impossible to get because every last preteen girl was out buying it and it was sold out for moooonths?? Yeah. The day after she got in and poisoned the house with that "song", I snuck in her room and took the steel grill brush to it)

Last edited by FinnDublynn; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.