Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #10811 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
-sigh- you can try to help, but people just won't listen until they learn the hard way, will they?

My mom's friend is getting into reptiles. But she doesn't 'get' that you need to research them and their care. They first caught their own texas spiny lizards. Cool lizards--but no one keeps them as pets. No one really knows how to properly care for them, not even really the experts. And they were beginners. Turns out they were loaded with parasites and started to develop metabolic bone disease, and one developed a HUGE cyst(as big as his leg!)

Eventually they finally realize they can't keep these as pets. They gave them to a rescue who will get the lizards used to being in the wild again and be sure they don't spread new diseases to the native environment since they were in captivity so long.

I tell them about the joys of buying a captive bred reptile from a good breeder, and how easy crested geckos are to care for. They don't need crickets, you can feed them the crested gecko diet. They only need regular room temp, because they are from a cool climate. All they need is humidity. They are doing great with him. SO..they wanted another lizard.

So they buy an anole. Anoles aren't too hard, and they listened to me on care. But anoles are native here, so every time one of their kids found another anole, they'd stick it in the same tank. So in a ten gallon tank..they have five anoles. Four of them wild caught--and loaded with parasites. Now their store bought anole is sick as well and losing weight, as well as aggression issues in such a small tank with NO COVER but a single fake plant. NOW...they went and bought a long tailed lizard to share the tank with them.

I'm just... I keep telling her things. But it goes in one ear and out the other. She doesn't trust me, even though every single time I've been right. She told me she thought her lizard was going through puberty, I told her it was a cyst. Took him to a vet..yup..cyst... Told her they were diurnal and needed uvb...they said no...he gets MBD because of no uvb... Warned her they needed heat and that the analog thermometers don't work..turns out hers was 30 degrees off, and he was in 70 degree weather the whole time..wonder why he wasn't eating or growing? She started feeding the anoles bugs she found outside, since some of her anoles were just fine outside.

Thought she turned over a new leaf with the anole and crested gecko. But..Apparently not. I will always be here to help when her animals get sick, but I don't know how to get it through her head to listen to those who have dealt with reptiles for years, and to not just get anything and everything and just guess on what to do. She's started hiding things from me(didn't tell me she bought the long tailed lizard, only found out cause mom went over there and basically tattled on her)

So... Basically I told her.."They are your lizards. But you need to know the risks. When housed together without quarantine, you can really spread sickness around into a tank, and could end up with thousands in vet costs with that many animals. If one of them gets ill and starts vomiting up food, with a shared tank, you don't know who it was that threw up... You run the risk of death by aggression and stress..Bugs from outdoors often have parasites or worse, toxic chemicals from bug sprays they are immune to or any other toxins they could have simply not yet died from...Feeding that to your animals can kill them instantly" She's decided she accepts those as risks... Because she doesn't think it's going to happen. But she can't read reptile body language yet. She thinks 'cuddling' is them being sweet, because she relates them to mammals. What she is seeing is actually a symbol of dominance, and can stress out the animals to the point of death through not eating and lowering immune system allowing parasites to take over.

kfojgd;g;jf;rj. dsljerjeojeoreorwejfeld. weowuropwerowerj!

I only hope she realizes what's happening before she loses all of them.
Some people never learn, no matter what you tell them.And some people flat out DON"t WANT to listen to good advice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #10812 
purplemuffin

True. It's just so confusing, because every time she acts like she really gets it, like suddenly the light switched on and she understands. But then it's like she forgets the moment I leave, or was just lying to my face.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #10813 
fishman12

That stinks, purple.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #10814 
Bombalurina

I just googled crested geckos, and they are the cutest little things! I wish I could have one here. :) My first lizard is going to be a native, though - a bearded dragon. :) I can't wait! I've started research already even though I can't have one til I move out, which won't be until after I gradute...which could be in 2 or 3 years, depending on if I get accepted to do Honours or not.
Stupid 5 year degree, getting in the way of my lizard-owning dreams. :)

It sucks that she isn't listening to you. :( I just don't understand that mentality.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #10815 
purplemuffin

Beardies are so amazing. Great big personalities :) a little more expensive to house than a crestie, but well worth the effort!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #10816 
doggyhog

Family drama..

'Nuf said..
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #10817 
Bombalurina

*sigh* Have such a craving to watch Kenshin...but I don't own it. :( The only person I know who does in my ex....and he lives roughly 1000 miles away...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #10818 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hate family drama.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #10819 
Bettawolf19

I've been wanting to get a beardie..

Rant: I hate work.that is all
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #10820 
fishman12

RANT: I cut open my arm. Skin is missing...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou