Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #11491 
Rosso1011

Got the song "Get together" by the Youngbloods stuck in my head. Earlier, it was Crazy train.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #11492 
ThorAndGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Sounds to me like this is a sad play that is perpetually on the last act. I'll bet she's been able to manipulate your husband with the guilt and crying jags. Add alcohol to the mix and it just intensifys.

She needs to be the one to call the other nutjobs and tell them that there was a misunderstanding and there will be no party for them. You two shouldn't have to fix her mistakes - I don't care how much she whines or drinks.

The only way it will stop is if they take responsibility for their own actions. And with a family like that, you might have to rethink your holidays, birthdays etc... so that you don't have to deal with the stress and craziness.

Take him away for his birthday instead and meet up with friends somewhere else. Good luck in the meantime.
LOL normally you'd be right, but hubby doesn't give into her crying jags. He usually tells her to get it together and to stop acting like a screwed up drunk! Her attempts at manipulation came to an abrupt end not long after we started dating, when he got a good look at how *I* handle these types of people! He was pretty impressed, because in my culture, behaving like that is totally horrifying and generally gets you ignored ... or a smack upside the head! Granted, I never smacked her (yet), but I did respond in such a way that made her feel like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Ever since that day, dear hubby has essentially asked me to "teach him" how to handle these kinds of situations. Good times :)

As for cleaning up their mess, I learned that lesson a long time ago. If I don't do it, she absolutely won't. Having them "take responsibility" is a nice theory, but in practice, it's a joke! This is a family that thinks a DUI is a right of passage, and that having sex with a family member is alright so long as you're both drunk! Responsibility isn't exactly the family motto, to say the least! Needless to say, it was a REALLY windy day when the apple fell from the tree, as far as my husband goes.

So if I leave her to "take responsivbility" I'll end up with 25 drunk racist idiots at the party, treating me like a servant and trying to get my husband back together with his ex. I figure since they hate me anyway, what more possible harm could come of it if I just call them up and say, "Yeah, about that invite you got awhile back? Don't come."

As for taking him away, well, I already have a good number of RSVPs. Kind of late to change the venue and re-book everything. Besides, I put a lot of time, energy and cash into this thing. If the worst that happens is one of those biggots gets knocked in the head by someone from *my* family, well then, I suppose I can live with that
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #11493 
CrowntailTwitchy57

Well, Akemi passed away Wednesday to possible dropsy. I'm taking a break from bettas for awhile, but I'll still be on the forum, don't worry!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #11494 
Sakura8

*hugs* I'm so sorry, Crowntail.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #11495 
ThorAndGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
Well, Akemi passed away Wednesday to possible dropsy. I'm taking a break from bettas for awhile, but I'll still be on the forum, don't worry!
I'm so sorry to hear that, Crowntail. I'm sure Akemi is smiling down on you over the rainbow bridge.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #11496 
Pataflafla

Hooray for working at 6 in the morning on my birthday. And to dealing with all the drunk and hungover people. I'm really not looking forward to today other than being able to go home and go to sleep since they had me work a 9 hour day yesterday and because I got written up for people changing their minds mid-order too much. It's not my fault people don't know what they want to order, so why do I get in trouble for it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #11497 
Tikibirds

Bitterly cold. High near -25F. Winds light and variable-----> Really. Bitterly cold? Thank You Weather channel for this newsflash
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #11498 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorAndGhost View Post
LOL normally you'd be right, but hubby doesn't give into her crying jags. He usually tells her to get it together and to stop acting like a screwed up drunk! Her attempts at manipulation came to an abrupt end not long after we started dating, when he got a good look at how *I* handle these types of people! He was pretty impressed, because in my culture, behaving like that is totally horrifying and generally gets you ignored ... or a smack upside the head! Granted, I never smacked her (yet), but I did respond in such a way that made her feel like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Ever since that day, dear hubby has essentially asked me to "teach him" how to handle these kinds of situations. Good times :)

As for cleaning up their mess, I learned that lesson a long time ago. If I don't do it, she absolutely won't. Having them "take responsibility" is a nice theory, but in practice, it's a joke! This is a family that thinks a DUI is a right of passage, and that having sex with a family member is alright so long as you're both drunk! Responsibility isn't exactly the family motto, to say the least! Needless to say, it was a REALLY windy day when the apple fell from the tree, as far as my husband goes.

So if I leave her to "take responsivbility" I'll end up with 25 drunk racist idiots at the party, treating me like a servant and trying to get my husband back together with his ex. I figure since they hate me anyway, what more possible harm could come of it if I just call them up and say, "Yeah, about that invite you got awhile back? Don't come."

As for taking him away, well, I already have a good number of RSVPs. Kind of late to change the venue and re-book everything. Besides, I put a lot of time, energy and cash into this thing. If the worst that happens is one of those biggots gets knocked in the head by someone from *my* family, well then, I suppose I can live with that
Well kudos to your hubby then I've got nothing after your response except to say I would just stay as far away from them as possible.

Those people will suck you dry if you let them but it sounds like you and hubby are a good united front.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #11499 
Tikibirds

Quote:
This is a family that thinks a DUI is a right of passage, and that having sex with a family member is alright so long as you're both drunk!
Sounds like the general attitude in Alaska. Almost everyone here is a drunk or has been in jail for being drunk or driving drunk...its disgusting
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #11500 
ThorAndGhost

Well, not to appear as if I condone drunk driving, but at least the "sex with a family member" bit isn't added to the mix! At one family party ... ugh, I can't even go on ... writing about it makes me feel icky! Let's just say, the topic of "should a man dump his girlfriend if the chance to have a relationship with his cousin, especially since they did it together" came up. One side of the debate was, "well of course he should dump his girlfriend! Family comes FIRST!" My response was essentially a facepalm and saying, "Do you people even LISTEN to yourselves talk? For REAL, man! The whole idea of putting your family first was not DESIGNED for this kind of situation, alright?! Stop doing it with your relatives! Your kids are all going to be born without eyelids and fingernails if you keep this up! The gene pool is small enough as it is, why chance it?!"
I realize the mind numbing cold can make people do stupid things (I'm Canadian, after all), but seriously? There's got to be more to life than getting hammered, keeping the cops busy, and nailing your relatives, right?
Ah, Alaska. I should go there one day! I always wanted to go arctic scuba diving. Wanna join me?

Tags
bettathanyou