Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #11711 
dramaqueen
Banned

OMG, Gossip, I'm sorry you're sick! Take care and get well soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #11712 
Sena Hansler

-rant- this site took 5 minutes to load a page >:(
-end rant-
but it's better now =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #11713 
Bombalurina

I don't want to give my boss his awesome balloon bag back. He lent it to me for a job, and with its mighty powers I can create skeletons, aliens, ladybirds, magic wands, etc, the likes of which mere mortals cannot fathom.
It's only about $300 worth of balloons. Do you think he'd notice if I kept it?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #11714 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had the same problem, Sena. I thought it was my computer or sucky internet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #11715 
AngesRadieux

Dear private voice students... PLEASE stop giving me heart failure! I swear between college and my students I'm going to go gray before I get my degree. I love my students and (most of the time) I really do enjoy teaching. I've met some wonderful people, both colleagues and students, through it. But last night just wasn't a good night.

A couple weeks ago the student I teach first on Fridays auditioned for a band. I really didn't think it was a good idea based on the audition song, but I helped her with it as much as I could and cautioned her to be very careful with that piece and to not sing anymore that night because she got so worn out. Well, last night I found out she made the band. I congratulated her while silently swearing. Honestly, I don't want my student anywhere NEAR a band that has an 11 year old audition with "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele. But I console myself by thinking she'll probably bring her pieces for this band to me and I can at least help her to sing them in a safer way. Wrong! Her parents say that she loves her lessons, but they're thinking that lessons on top of the band might be too much for her, so next week may be her last lesson. I told them I can do lessons a different day if that helps, but they're not sure and said they'd get back to me.

Now, while the income is nice, that's NOT the only reason I'm bothered by it. I don't really know about this band, but I have a STRONG feeling that no one there is going to be looking out for this girl. They're going to give her pieces they want to do without caring if it's vocally safe for her. If she's going to be trying to sing songs similar to the audition piece, she needs help from someone who's looking out for HER VOICE and not anyone else, because it's so easy for young singers to blow out their voices. And I think this girl has a lot of potential as a singer and I'd really like for singing to be something she can enjoy for a very long time.

So I'm very concerned about her stopping lessons because now she's singing with people who are probably just looking out for themselves and really aren't trying to do what's right by her and she doesn't have anyone who's knowledgeable about the voice who's looking out for her and only her. I'm considering saying something along those lines to her dad, but I feel a little stuck because I don't want him to think I'm trying to keep her just so I can make more money... I already don't have as much credibility as I'd like because I'm by far the youngest teacher there and I don't think her dad takes me too seriously because of my age.

So, on that lovely note, I wait for my next lesson that's with a new student who I'm just meeting. She comes in and I'm optimistic. She has a very nice choral folder with her, making me think she leans towards classical. Yay. She tells me she wants help preparing for college auditions. Even better. Schools look for classical, I'm really good with languages so I can really help with her foreign language pieces, and I've already been through the audition process so I can tell her what to expect. And then she says she's auditioning at the school I'm currently attending. Great!

But then I find out she hasn't taken singing lessons since she was very little. And that she hadn't even begun work on her Italian piece until her lesson with me. And that she had never sung anything in a foreign language before so she had no idea how to pronounce it. If her audition was in March, that'd all be stressful, but not too terrible. But nope! Her auditions are February 12th and 18th. T-T So I have three weeks to turn a song she's never sung through before into a good audition piece, to get her to learn to project, etc.

And I'm very personally invested in this, too. If she auditions at my school and isn't prepared, if they ask who her voice teacher is, guess who looks REALLY bad since at least one of my professors will undoubtedly be in her audition? And I have my sophomore review this semester so I can't afford my professors thinking I'm incompetent as a singer and teacher for ANY reason.

At least I've managed to convince her to sign up for hour long lessons instead of half an hour. But I'm still ridiculously stressed because now it's not a matter of wanting her to do well in her auditions. It's a matter of wanting her to succeed for her own sake, but also NEEDING her to do well for my sake. GAH! I don't understand why a student hoping to audition for college would wait so long to start preparing! I took FOUR YEARS of voice lessons before my auditions!

Hopefully my lessons today will be ordinary, run of the mill lessons without any freaking out...
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #11716 
Sakura8

Gossip, ouch! Pneumonia stinks. Take it easy and rest a lot. :)

Bombalurina, You can try giving him the bag back . . . with nothing in it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #11717 
Sena Hansler

Wow Anges that's sure something to rant about :3 and I know - my friend is in drama, choraz AND band, before she goes to college. She's working towards it instead of diving into it
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #11718 
Rosso1011

Praying that next week will be better. This week was filled with minor inconveniences that just dog-piled on top of each other, most of them occurring at the school. Oh, and my betta's been nibbling at his tail. He's got a long area at the bottom of his caudal fin from where he's chewed a little off the top. At least he hasn't chomped his tail down like my bf's did. -_-
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #11719 
Sena Hansler

yikes!
-my turn for another rant- people shouldn't own animals they cannot care for. Otherwise people who accept these said animals (in my case 2 guineas) will have to end up paying the price for two neglected animals. x.x
-end rant-
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #11720 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to rest as much as possible. But I think my family wants to kill me because my cough is so frequent & loud.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou