Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #11771 
dew

Why does she get upset about you letting your dog out??
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #11772 
Pataflafla

Because she's also uber-animal care until it actually comes to doing it. she'll leave the cat boxes full for weeks while we try and get her to clean them, but will lecture me on how to care for my dogs and bettas. She also seems to have a problem with taking in animals. The most recent addition being an angel fish from her work that she's keeping with her two male mollies and a male betta in a 5 gallon. she keeps pushing back the date she'll bring him back.

I understand that my dog is old and doesn't have the bladder control that he used to, but I do know him better than anyone else in my family since he's been my dog for his entire life.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #11773 
dew

I totally understand. lol
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #11774 
mardi

I certainly am not around your sister to observe her diet, but as a vegetarian and, from the three things she mentioned she had to eat; there are certainly things with less protein she could be eating.

Beans, nuts, cheese, grains and eggs (depending on the kind of vegetarian she is) can provide enough protein for a person to have a balanced diet. I've been a vegetarian for the last 9 years, and was vegan for five of those years and am still alive. However, when I made the decision to become vegetarian, I also made the decision to become employed and did all my own grocery shopping from that point on.

Assuming that your parents do most, or all of the grocery shopping- Maybe suggest that she make a list of items she wants or needs for them to pick up when they go shopping so this doesn't happen again. Also, maybe it would help to do some research of foods you like, that can be made vegetarian and maybe have one vegetarian dinner per week; to help her see how easy a balanced diet can be to maintain.

I hope none of this sounds like I'm being critical of the way your or your parents are with your sister. It's just kind of easy for me to see things through your sisters eyes; and it sounds to me (more than likely, through no fault of your own) That she doesn't feel supported in her dietary choices. It can be hard to be the only person eating Tofurky at Thanksgiving dinner; but when it's something you believe in, you just do it. I just know how touched I feel whenever someone thinks of something vegetarian to add to a meal for me. However, her diet is in NO way your responsibility (and want to make sure it doesn't sound like i'm insinuating it).

Once again, I don't live with you or know your sister personally and sorry for rambling. I hope the tensions ease between the two of you.

[quote=Pataflafla;960213]So my sister made the decision to be vegetarian a few years back. Now this was against my parent's wishes since they were concerned about her getting a balanced diet in terms of protein. She continued anyway and has had an diet with little protein.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #11775 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I don't even say eh :3 and I don't like curling. or hockey, or lacrosse. or winter.
Hey now, back off or we'll send you to USA haha I say eh, a lot... I hate curling but I love hockey and winter... and TIM HORTON'S. So there :P

I'm your stereotypical Canadian... I have a heart and I'm nice to almost everyone :)

My rant?? I was at the pet store two days ago, and there was a Betta I was just in love with. A purple/pink multi VT... I walked away. I went back today to get my dog food and I check and he was sideways in his tank, dead and moldy :( I feel like a horrible person. I really hate hate hate my petstore today.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #11776 
Pataflafla

We've tried vegetarian meals before with her, but she'd rather not cook and doesn't really pick out anything she'd want as a meal. She can't handle spices (Black pepper is too spicy for her) and we do make separate dishes that are completely vegetarian whenever we can. If we make chili, we'll do a pot just for her with light spices. If we do lasagna, we'll either make a small dish or she'll have some microwave version. If we have burritos, we'll make sure there's vegetarian crumbles for her's.

We've tried having her make a list too, but that fell through as well. she wants things to happen for her, but she won't do anything to make sure it gets done or that we even know she wants something until after the fact. My parents will make sure they get her some vegetarian stuff when they grocery shop, but she only eats a few things and then complains that she's bored of it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #11777 
mardi

That's really unfortunate.

It sounds like you've done more for her than my family originally did for me when I originally went vegetarian, so major props to you. She's EXTREMELY lucky to have that kind of support around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
We've tried vegetarian meals before with her, but she'd rather not cook and doesn't really pick out anything she'd want as a meal. She can't handle spices (Black pepper is too spicy for her) and we do make separate dishes that are completely vegetarian whenever we can. If we make chili, we'll do a pot just for her with light spices. If we do lasagna, we'll either make a small dish or she'll have some microwave version. If we have burritos, we'll make sure there's vegetarian crumbles for her's.

We've tried having her make a list too, but that fell through as well. she wants things to happen for her, but she won't do anything to make sure it gets done or that we even know she wants something until after the fact. My parents will make sure they get her some vegetarian stuff when they grocery shop, but she only eats a few things and then complains that she's bored of it.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #11778 
Bombalurina

+1. I want to go almost vegan, but whilst I'm at home the extent of my veganism is cooking one day a week for the family, because they like meat (so do I, for that matter :( ). If I lived with your family, I would be taking full advantage of what you guys do. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #11779 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Hey now, back off or we'll send you to USA haha I say eh, a lot... I hate curling but I love hockey and winter... and TIM HORTON'S. So there :P

I'm your stereotypical Canadian... I have a heart and I'm nice to almost everyone :)

My rant?? I was at the pet store two days ago, and there was a Betta I was just in love with. A purple/pink multi VT... I walked away. I went back today to get my dog food and I check and he was sideways in his tank, dead and moldy :( I feel like a horrible person. I really hate hate hate my petstore today.
I LOVE TIM HORTONS =D but I also do not speak french. And go ahead and send me to USA xD my twin is there!!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #11780 
dramaqueen
Banned

I speak French sometimes. lol Like when I'm mad. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou