Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #11961 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! My brother can be like that sometimes, too. It must be a man thing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #11962 
Sakura8

I remember school trips. When he was supposed to go with the HS marching band to Disneyland, he literally didn't tell us until two days before departure. My dad, who had to make hotel reservations, was not happy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #11963 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't be happy, either. I remember when my brother flew in from Japan once and when he didn't show up when he was supposed to we imagined all kinds of stuff. He didn't answer his cell phone, either. Then finally when he gets home we find that he made a side trip to the Liquor Barn. He could browse in there for hours.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #11964 
Sakura8

Ouch. I would be furious if my brother did something like that. Oh wait. He has. Not a liquor barn but he can get lost in goodwill stores. Loves thrift shopping.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #11965 
SaylorKennedy

Getting up at 5am when no one else is up and it's still dark out sucks!
Also got a D- on my zoology lab final because what I studied intensely wasn't the focus of the test. I hate it when professors just tell us to study 'everything.' Oh well, everything else I've done is that class I got an A in so it won't kill my grade too badly, just like 5% of it.

But on the happy side of life, I'm declaring my major in a few weeks, which is awesome because if you asked me what I wanted to do and how I was going to do it 5 weeks ago, I wouldn't have known. :D
And talked to my manager about switching departments at the new store we're building that's opening in April to the Garden Center since I'm going to school for botany and she said she'd talk to the store manager on my behalf! YAY.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #11966 
dramaqueen
Banned

Saylor, I'm sorry about your zoology lab grade. It's nice that your manager is going to put a good word in for you to change departments.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #11967 
AngesRadieux

*sigh* Apparently it's acceptable and even really great when my mom hears about someone ELSE going into some sort of art education, even though me going into music education has made me the black sheep of the family. We had company over and they were talking about how one of our cousins is going to school for dance education and is working in a daycare to get experience working with kids, and my mom acted like that was just WONDERFUL. And it made me want to hurt someone. Because my parents think it's TERRIBLE that I'm going for music education. And I work at a local music store teaching private singing lessons, and my parents don't treat it like it's my job. Another teacher and I are planning to start up a new program there, and I was talking to my parents about it and they were like "Wait... You're going to get PAID to teach that...?" And then they talk about my lessons like it's just something I do for fun. And then they COMPLETELY invalidate my job when they comment about how some music just can't be learned (COMPLETE BS).

Ugh. It just makes me so frustrated. One, if they can appreciate someone ELSE going into some sort of art education, WHY can't they support ME in MY chosen field? And if I'm starting a program and I'm going to be TEACHING these kids, WHY is it such a surprise that I'm going to get paid for it? I WORK at the store. It's my JOB. Last I checked, people don't go to work to do things for free. AND while I DO enjoy teaching and most of the time I enjoy giving lessons, there are days when it's NOT fun. There are times when my students drive me NUTS. And it bothers me that my parents act like this is just some sort of fun extra curricular activity instead of a job.

I'm just frustrated. I'm the kind of person who NEEDS approval from other people, and the fact that my parents are so ready and willing to approve of everyone BUT me makes me crazy. And the whole idea that I should be doing my job for free also drives me nuts. Over the summer, my parents were on my case to get a job. Now I've found one. And I only work a couple hours a week, but the hourly pay is more than TRIPLE what my sister got per hour when she was working AND it's all off the books so it doesn't get taxed and I get to keep everything I earn. So it's a pretty good deal for me. And my parents have found a way to disapprove of THAT, too?

Oh! And I'm SURE they remember the time my sister's boss made her work through a snowstorm where they were predicting blizzard conditions? I NEVER have to worry about that, because I'm always at liberty to call my students and cancel their lessons provided I give them make-up lessons later on. And because I get paid directly by my students and then pay the store rent, there's no possible way they could be losing money on me, so there's no risk in me getting laid off if they start losing money.

I just don't understand why they can't approve of my job. The arrangement works out pretty great for me. I only work weekends AND I can move lessons around when I need to, so it doesn't interfere with school. The hourly pay's pretty darn good, it'll look GREAT on a resume when I'm out of college and applying for jobs in schools, it helps me with school because teaching and having to correct students has been really improving my ear, I make FRIENDS and interact with a lot of people at work, which my parents should think is great since they're convinced I'm a recluse with no friends, AND I make kids smile.

There's NOTHING wrong with my job or my choice in major. I don't understand why my parents can't just be happy that I've found a field I enjoy and be happy that I found a wonderful job and I'm getting a lot of experience in the field that'll look great when I'm applying for jobs in schools.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #11968 
yyankeeyankeefan

good luck changing departments saylorkennedy! and that stinks about your test.
yyankeeyankeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #11969 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngesRadieux View Post
*sigh* Apparently it's acceptable and even really great when my mom hears about someone ELSE going into some sort of art education, even though me going into music education has made me the black sheep of the family. We had company over and they were talking about how one of our cousins is going to school for dance education and is working in a daycare to get experience working with kids, and my mom acted like that was just WONDERFUL. And it made me want to hurt someone. Because my parents think it's TERRIBLE that I'm going for music education. And I work at a local music store teaching private singing lessons, and my parents don't treat it like it's my job. Another teacher and I are planning to start up a new program there, and I was talking to my parents about it and they were like "Wait... You're going to get PAID to teach that...?" And then they talk about my lessons like it's just something I do for fun. And then they COMPLETELY invalidate my job when they comment about how some music just can't be learned (COMPLETE BS).

Ugh. It just makes me so frustrated. One, if they can appreciate someone ELSE going into some sort of art education, WHY can't they support ME in MY chosen field? And if I'm starting a program and I'm going to be TEACHING these kids, WHY is it such a surprise that I'm going to get paid for it? I WORK at the store. It's my JOB. Last I checked, people don't go to work to do things for free. AND while I DO enjoy teaching and most of the time I enjoy giving lessons, there are days when it's NOT fun. There are times when my students drive me NUTS. And it bothers me that my parents act like this is just some sort of fun extra curricular activity instead of a job.

I'm just frustrated. I'm the kind of person who NEEDS approval from other people, and the fact that my parents are so ready and willing to approve of everyone BUT me makes me crazy. And the whole idea that I should be doing my job for free also drives me nuts. Over the summer, my parents were on my case to get a job. Now I've found one. And I only work a couple hours a week, but the hourly pay is more than TRIPLE what my sister got per hour when she was working AND it's all off the books so it doesn't get taxed and I get to keep everything I earn. So it's a pretty good deal for me. And my parents have found a way to disapprove of THAT, too?

Oh! And I'm SURE they remember the time my sister's boss made her work through a snowstorm where they were predicting blizzard conditions? I NEVER have to worry about that, because I'm always at liberty to call my students and cancel their lessons provided I give them make-up lessons later on. And because I get paid directly by my students and then pay the store rent, there's no possible way they could be losing money on me, so there's no risk in me getting laid off if they start losing money.

I just don't understand why they can't approve of my job. The arrangement works out pretty great for me. I only work weekends AND I can move lessons around when I need to, so it doesn't interfere with school. The hourly pay's pretty darn good, it'll look GREAT on a resume when I'm out of college and applying for jobs in schools, it helps me with school because teaching and having to correct students has been really improving my ear, I make FRIENDS and interact with a lot of people at work, which my parents should think is great since they're convinced I'm a recluse with no friends, AND I make kids smile.

There's NOTHING wrong with my job or my choice in major. I don't understand why my parents can't just be happy that I've found a field I enjoy and be happy that I found a wonderful job and I'm getting a lot of experience in the field that'll look great when I'm applying for jobs in schools.
I think your job sounds wonderful and I bet you're a great teacher! You need to be around people who are going to build you up instead of tear you down.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #11970 
BeautifulBetta

So browsing youtube tonight and found a video of someone making their betta jump. Cute. However, It was in a jar-type thing with about 6 inches of water...But 4 inches of the water was being unused, thanks to the marbles she had in there. Everyone in the comments was harassing the youtube user about animal cruelty and such, which was good, because she needs to learn that its not okay to let a betta live in basically 2" of water. Now to the main point of my rant. One person commented and I just had to reply. I decided to screencap the comment, as well as the reply I left for them. I really hate people, no wonder I have so many fish and internet friends. Lol

BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou