Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #111 
CodeRed

I really don't understand why some people can't keep their opinions to themselves on something they have no knowledge of, and yet act like they know everything. This is a snake rant, by the way. AUGH. I'll post the convo (which I gladly immersed myself in, since it had to do with someone suggesting letting Happi go free, which I could not stand)

O/P: I got my snakie. :D Courtesy of Mikayla. :DDD Teehee

Ma (name): hmmm, I think the snake would rather be free.Its a snake for petes sake, not a dog.

O/P: Snakes are pets too. Happi was born captive I assume, since he's a baby and Mikayla didn't just pluck him out of the wild.

Ma: maybe so, but how happy can a creature be living in a cage? plus , what do you have to feed him?

ME (I felt the need to nip this in the bud ASAP, as much for this girl, as for Emily, who took him. She needed to know releasing him would be a death sentence, in case she ever needed to give him up): Trust me, this snake would definitely be happier in a cage. Since he's captive bred and born, not only does he not have the right survival skills to survive in the wild (plus his native land is in California, not around here, so his food source, and heat are all wrong), but he was bred as a pet, so he has colorations that are all wrong for a natural Cali. If he was let go he would probably die within a week. Probably less. I do believe it's also illegal to let a captive bred and born snake free, especially into a place where his species isn't native.
This snake will live to approximately 2x his normal life span than if he was in the wild. He is constantly provided with heat, food, and a place to sleep and explore without the dangers of hawks, eagles, cats, dogs, and all of their other natural predators. He'll never have to battle another snake for food or dominance. I'd say he's pretty happy in a cage. Also, snakes are incapable of feeling emotions and thinking in the way you, me, or mammals do. As long as he has food, water, and a home, he's "happy".

Sorry for the long post. I've met with so many people who seem to think that because snakes don't have legs, or because they're "evil" in the bible, or even because they don't have fur, that they shouldn't be pets. I respectfully disagree.

Ma: I don't hate snakes and I sure don't think their evil. I think their beautiful creatures and are very much part of nature. I think it should be against the law for ( cough , cough) breeders to be raising creatures and selling them where they cannot survive if set free.
We have lots of snakes here in North carolina, black snakes, rat snakes, cotton mouths and we even had a rattlesnake in iur yard once, we didnt kill them, they were harning no one. But I od know that ( cough , cough ) breeders shouldnt be allowed to seel these creatures especially in parts of the country thats NOT native to them.
I also could never see how ANYONE could feed these snakes LIVE mice . Thye eat mice out in nature, but to have to sacrafice a cute little mouse that cannot run away is SICK.

ME: So, what about dogs? Cats? Fish? Birds? Hamsters? Rats? Gerbils? Chinchillas? Ferrets? They can't survive everywhere they live. A lot of them would die, too. For some reason, people think of snakes as completely different animals, that they're somehow "less" than other pets. I hold them, I interact with them, you can even play with them. I have a bigger bond with them than I do with my fish, and even one of my cats and and my dog. If we go by the way you think, then we'd have no pets at all EXCEPT for snakes and rats and spiders, since they;d be the only "native" animals. Cats are frog egypt, mostly, along with some places in Africa. Dogs were once wolves, of course. A lot of them aren't native here, like the AUSTRALIAN shepherd, the GERMAN shepherd, and I could just go on.

Last of all, Happi is fed f/t, or frozen thawed. The mice are humanely euthanized. No pain. NOW, before any one else says anything about animals still dying for the snakes, check your dog food. Cat food. FISH food. Animals die all the time in order to feed our, your, his, her pets. These, though, are humanely killed.
Most of the people in the snake owning hobby are VERY against live feeding, for the reasons you stated above, and more. Live mice can maim or kill your snake, along with causing undue stress to the mice. The people who feed live mice are usually ignorant to the fact that f/t is not only safer, but also easier in many ways. That, or they're twisted people getting their jollies off on the death of a small animal. In that case, it wouldn't matter what kind of pet they had. Something would still be getting hurt.

Long post again. SORRY EMILY!

So I probably acted a little bit hasty, but I felt like I needed to show this to someone. IMO, this is yet another case of snakes being treated "differently" than other pets. People say things about snakes like how the only pets should be native, ignoring the fact that if that was true to all animals, dogs and cats wouldn't exist. And then the live thing... that's the most... BAUGH. Sorry for the rant. I suppose it would be easier for others to understand if you thought of this conversation as bettas, not snakes. It's the same principal, but different species, that's all.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #112 
VioletTrauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Whoa. Demonic! Ahhh! J/K!
not really i just hate people like that.
VioletTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #113 
VioletTrauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylittlefishy View Post
ANTI-RANT:
The fishy I got is healthy! I used some meds in his tank last night and this morning he's got a bubblenest! xD
thats great~ i bet hes happy hes in a better home.
VioletTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #114 
TheJadeBetta

Early today I got up to banging on the door. Our neighbor's dog bit our goats tail thorough the fence. My mother took him to the vet. I went to lay back down and I just got up. The vet cut off his tail and sewed it up. Poor Pudd Pudd. And now I have a cat in my face.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #115 
Little Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
I really don't understand why some people can't keep their opinions to themselves on something they have no knowledge of, and yet act like they know everything. This is a snake rant, by the way. AUGH. I'll post the convo (which I gladly immersed myself in, since it had to do with someone suggesting letting Happi go free, which I could not stand)

O/P: I got my snakie. :D Courtesy of Mikayla. :DDD Teehee

Ma (name): hmmm, I think the snake would rather be free.Its a snake for petes sake, not a dog.

O/P: Snakes are pets too. Happi was born captive I assume, since he's a baby and Mikayla didn't just pluck him out of the wild.

Ma: maybe so, but how happy can a creature be living in a cage? plus , what do you have to feed him?

ME (I felt the need to nip this in the bud ASAP, as much for this girl, as for Emily, who took him. She needed to know releasing him would be a death sentence, in case she ever needed to give him up): Trust me, this snake would definitely be happier in a cage. Since he's captive bred and born, not only does he not have the right survival skills to survive in the wild (plus his native land is in California, not around here, so his food source, and heat are all wrong), but he was bred as a pet, so he has colorations that are all wrong for a natural Cali. If he was let go he would probably die within a week. Probably less. I do believe it's also illegal to let a captive bred and born snake free, especially into a place where his species isn't native.
This snake will live to approximately 2x his normal life span than if he was in the wild. He is constantly provided with heat, food, and a place to sleep and explore without the dangers of hawks, eagles, cats, dogs, and all of their other natural predators. He'll never have to battle another snake for food or dominance. I'd say he's pretty happy in a cage. Also, snakes are incapable of feeling emotions and thinking in the way you, me, or mammals do. As long as he has food, water, and a home, he's "happy".

Sorry for the long post. I've met with so many people who seem to think that because snakes don't have legs, or because they're "evil" in the bible, or even because they don't have fur, that they shouldn't be pets. I respectfully disagree.

Ma: I don't hate snakes and I sure don't think their evil. I think their beautiful creatures and are very much part of nature. I think it should be against the law for ( cough , cough) breeders to be raising creatures and selling them where they cannot survive if set free.
We have lots of snakes here in North carolina, black snakes, rat snakes, cotton mouths and we even had a rattlesnake in iur yard once, we didnt kill them, they were harning no one. But I od know that ( cough , cough ) breeders shouldnt be allowed to seel these creatures especially in parts of the country thats NOT native to them.
I also could never see how ANYONE could feed these snakes LIVE mice . Thye eat mice out in nature, but to have to sacrafice a cute little mouse that cannot run away is SICK.

ME: So, what about dogs? Cats? Fish? Birds? Hamsters? Rats? Gerbils? Chinchillas? Ferrets? They can't survive everywhere they live. A lot of them would die, too. For some reason, people think of snakes as completely different animals, that they're somehow "less" than other pets. I hold them, I interact with them, you can even play with them. I have a bigger bond with them than I do with my fish, and even one of my cats and and my dog. If we go by the way you think, then we'd have no pets at all EXCEPT for snakes and rats and spiders, since they;d be the only "native" animals. Cats are frog egypt, mostly, along with some places in Africa. Dogs were once wolves, of course. A lot of them aren't native here, like the AUSTRALIAN shepherd, the GERMAN shepherd, and I could just go on.

Last of all, Happi is fed f/t, or frozen thawed. The mice are humanely euthanized. No pain. NOW, before any one else says anything about animals still dying for the snakes, check your dog food. Cat food. FISH food. Animals die all the time in order to feed our, your, his, her pets. These, though, are humanely killed.
Most of the people in the snake owning hobby are VERY against live feeding, for the reasons you stated above, and more. Live mice can maim or kill your snake, along with causing undue stress to the mice. The people who feed live mice are usually ignorant to the fact that f/t is not only safer, but also easier in many ways. That, or they're twisted people getting their jollies off on the death of a small animal. In that case, it wouldn't matter what kind of pet they had. Something would still be getting hurt.

Long post again. SORRY EMILY!

So I probably acted a little bit hasty, but I felt like I needed to show this to someone. IMO, this is yet another case of snakes being treated "differently" than other pets. People say things about snakes like how the only pets should be native, ignoring the fact that if that was true to all animals, dogs and cats wouldn't exist. And then the live thing... that's the most... BAUGH. Sorry for the rant. I suppose it would be easier for others to understand if you thought of this conversation as bettas, not snakes. It's the same principal, but different species, that's all.
woooooooooooow. that is a long rant.
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #116 
artist4life

im stuck at work and no break today it sucks
artist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #117 
bloo97

I stepped in something wet and it felt all wierd on my foot. lol XD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #118 
Maryrox247

AAAH! I hate the dentist and i hate freakin shots!!! I have to get my teenage shots tomorow (goodie i get 8 shots! maybe like 12!!!!!) and now two of my teeth hurt bad whenever i chew or brush in that area! Great now i have to get shots,my first physical, and now who knows what with my teeth! (please don't be a root canal!!!!!) AAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #119 
CodeRed

I'm supposed to have a dentist tomorrow, but it's at 3... which is when school ends >_< I'm trying to convince my mother that it's NOT a good idea to miss any school on the first day. Just try to set it back a week >_< I think it might work, though :3
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #120 
1fish2fish

I have a few choice words to say about my Uni and its Financial Aid office.. unfortunately this forum doesn't have an R-rated section (cuz there's only like 3 members over 17 LOL.. jk).

I have until Thursday to pay $1200 or they're going to evict me... FA told me THREE WEEKS AGO that I didn't have anything to pay. Now my parents are going to have to put it on their credit card until I can figure out how to get it paid.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou