Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #12431 
Bombalurina

Rant: my sister and dad gave my their flipping colds...meanfaces. They don't love me at all.
I'm also worried about Hyde's bumblefoot. All my rats are a little chubby, which I acknowledge freely is my fault (I do love a slightly squishy rat) but Hyde is just obese. He never ate more than the others, he just puts on weight a whole lot more easily. The vet thought maybe hypothyroidism. Anyway, he's a big boy, and now with his extreme arthritis he can't exercise enough to lose it (his weight is one of the reasons he is arthritic in the first place). His brother Jekyll is a bit slimmer and much more spritely. But of course Hyde's weight is just making his bumblefoot worse and worse. :( Last night it was so huge and red and swollen. :(

Anti-rant: my killis are so gorgeous and cute!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #12432 
Aus

Bomba, I had a pair of squishy brothers with the same problem.. they could smell food and put on weight! We found feeding them smaller portions frequently and choosing chewy, low-nutrition snacks to mix in with the food helped (baby rusks ftw). But they were still a couple of miniature bean bags.

I hope you feel better soon.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #12433 
Leeniex

Rant: Those commercials for the ASPCA make me cry every time they come on. Even when I don't look at the tv I'll start crying. My kids get a good laugh at it. I just can't stand to see animals hurt and scared, especially cats.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #12434 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Rant: Those commercials for the ASPCA make me cry every time they come on. Even when I don't look at the tv I'll start crying. My kids get a good laugh at it. I just can't stand to see animals hurt and scared, especially cats.
It sounds heartless, but I always mute them or change the channel
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #12435 
Sena Hansler

My hip hurts. ouch.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #12436 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Bomba, I had a pair of squishy brothers with the same problem.. they could smell food and put on weight! We found feeding them smaller portions frequently and choosing chewy, low-nutrition snacks to mix in with the food helped (baby rusks ftw). But they were still a couple of miniature bean bags.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks Aus! I don't overfeed my little ones (they have some good quality lab blocks - Cummins, I think) and plenty of low-fat fresh food (my boy Willoughby is absolutely obsessed with lettuce, the gorgeous little freak). Well, not by much, anyway. ;)
Lol, beanbags. That's exactly what they are.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #12437 
Sena Hansler

what kind of bedding go you use? Maybe you could make something (cushioned fleece?) that could help? I know when Ginger had the problem with her foot I used a huge fleece blanket :3 and epsom salt foot baths.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #12438 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
It sounds heartless, but I always mute them or change the channel
I take my glasses off so I can't see.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #12439 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I feel the same way about those commercials. I just cannot bear to watch them. If I have fast forward time, I'll use that. If not, I may change the channel for a minute or two.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #12440 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
what kind of bedding go you use? Maybe you could make something (cushioned fleece?) that could help? I know when Ginger had the problem with her foot I used a huge fleece blanket :3 and epsom salt foot baths.
They have nice smooth lino on the floor and shelves, with towel or fleece beds. They do have to walk on the lino a little (not that Hyde walks much) but it's a huge cage base, and I have to change the bedding every day, so trying to give them a fleecy floor large enough would be difficult. I'd also worry about Hyde just sleeping in his urine, because he doesn't always seem to know he's gone.

Tags
bettathanyou