Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #14001 
Shirleythebetta

"He is throwing guilt on you to not answer the question"

I like a lot of your statements. Made perfect sense

Van's all fixed but now we have to buy a new rim. It bent when the tire fell off :/ we are going to be so hurting for money.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #14002 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
"He is throwing guilt on you to not answer the question"

I like a lot of your statements. Made perfect sense

Van's all fixed but now we have to buy a new rim. It bent when the tire fell off :/ we are going to be so hurting for money.
Oh, im sorry to hear that. You know I was driving out of a store parking lot, when i saw my wheel go by. I slammed on the breaks, and jumped out. Nothing like what happened to you.

It was a bright sunny day, not to hot. I had just had the tires rotated, and walked over to them to get it fixed.. OHOHOH another time, in the seattle rain, lol I drove off to cross over two lanes to make a left in the next lane, and when I applied the brakes, no brakes!!!!

I totally freaked out, lol. I lucked out, and honked and just went straight ahead over the 4 lanes into another short parking lot, and ran into a, curb. the guys forgot to bleed the brakes, lol after new shocks.

OHOHOHOH, you know not till just this moment did i realize that happened 2 times! I was on 3rd in downtown seattle and the breaks went out, I went all the way down to the water, and turned to the right and ran into a big wood loading dock. I was in a 9 passenger station wagon. lol

I had complained about the brakes for like 5 or 6 months, and he was an elevator mechanic!

Too funny.. sorry i didnt mean to make light of your situation. Please go for some walks in the cool hours, maybe get another hobby, like drawing (or look at something, close your eyes and draw it, its fun and nonsensical) , or bird watching, or .... something that doesnt require much, but is relaxing.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #14003 
Shirleythebetta

Oh I draw and all that, I am in to gardening. Make light of it. I am lately. I don't actually care what else is wrong with the van as long as I am alive. That was the thing for me. This van can suck all our money. I still got my life to complain about it.

Couldn't imagine no brakes. That is scary. lol
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #14004 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Oh I draw and all that, I am in to gardening. Make light of it. I am lately. I don't actually care what else is wrong with the van as long as I am alive. That was the thing for me. This van can suck all our money. I still got my life to complain about it.

Couldn't imagine no brakes. That is scary. lol
Good to hear it, and yes, your life is soooo important. Its hard to have a vehicle like that. My 9 pasanger station wagon, just needed new brakes. It was a huge car, and so heavy. But great for weekend camping or over nighters.

Once in the winter in town, in boise, everthing was solid ice or 4 feet of snow. I was stopped at a light, and the silly thing started sliding, sideways! I totally freaked out, I couldnt stop it. It just slid into a parked car.

All the people in the line behind me came running to push it back on the road, they said it was so odd watching it. The roads are slopped down on the side for rain, etc, so it had no choice but to slide, lol

OH, another time? my hon decided to rinse the salt water off my camaro, by driving it down the little boat ramp in a nearby lake? Well it was much steeper than he thought, and well, did you know camaros are air tight and float? hahaha.

Again, people on the beach ran down to push it back to shore. He jumped out the window, mine was up, and I opened the door to get out, I panicked when he jumped out. He said .. stay here. Not.

Took days for it to dry out, after we drove it home. I was so angry!

Hmm, seems I had a lot of odd car things.. I used to think I was jinxed, but now I think im sooo lucky!

I love gardening, but without a well, and gas so expensive I just cant afford to cart water for a garden. I have one flowing plum, and thats it. I had 4 other trees, but : rant: My dobie dug them up! Friends said he was after the shrew in the field.

Id get home from work a they would be just on the ground. He dug one up that had been planted for 4 years.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-27-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #14005 
Shirleythebetta

My dog did that too, he ate my rose of sharons in half :/
Old 07-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #14006 
Kenny G

My rant new rant. I went to Petco in Baldwin, NY yesterday and asked the "so called expert in the fish department" about the best water conditioners. Well surprise surprise I knew more about different conditioners than he did. He looked at me with a baffled face. It's proof positive that you should always do your research yourself then go and ask questions. I'm not saying they are not helpful I just saying knowledge is key.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #14007 
SpookyTooth

I never thought I'd sit here feeling as I do right now... I honestly don't think I've ever felt so deflated. I usually don't post about this kind of thing... but I don't think I have anyone within my family who honestly understands the frustration I'm feeling right now, they try bless their hearts but really...

In the UK we don't have bettas sold in cups, they're either in betta barracks or large tanks (usually in communities). Our local pet store isn't too bad with their bettas, they don't usually get many in (if any at all). Perhaps the odd male here or there... last time I went to the store and they had female bettas listed... as peaceful community fish. I sent a letter to the relevant people enquiring about this but had to stop my enquiries due to a relapse in my medical condition that left me fighting through a spell of depression and anxiety regarding contacting them... some betta keeper I am...

So I went in store today as my parents were due to go to a store across the street, I can't get out much due to medical things and took the opportunity to pick up some stuff for a new filter I'm going to be making for Kaze and Echo. I thought I'd take a look at the female bettas and see how they're doing. There was a beautiful female who reminded me a lot of Kaze, she was up at the front and curious about me. The rest were swimming around along with the other fish in the tank (a large fish, not sure of the species name and lots of otos). They seemed to all be okay, the huge java fern in the tank would make a great place to hide. I wasn't too disappointed as they looked okay, a few nips out of fins and a few stress stripes (though these females were TINY so they may have just been young) so I was content.

Hopped over to the coldwater section to find some suction cups and airline tubing juctions and heard two ladies wanting to buy a goldfish for their 30 litre tank. I simply didn't have the heart to approach them as so many others are able and listened in horror as the sales assitant sold them this little goldfish to live alongside another that already lived in the tank... I don't think anyone would have taken an underweight, ridiculously pale, greasy haired sick lady seriously anyway had I approached and casually brought up goldfish care... I've always been very shy and can hardly talk to my own family sometimes but I just felt awful.

Sigh.

I went back over to the female bettas and stared at this one little girl who had won me over, I wasn't entirely confident with the quality of the fish keeping in this store but liked watching the fish nonetheless... until I spotted a betta I hadn't seen earlier... saw this one flare and saw the size of the beard. In this tank of around seven females was what I believe to be a juvenile male... his tail was missing, he had scales on his head missing and seemed to be being torn to shreds... the females kept nipping at him and he just flared back and chased them away. I could have been mistaken, it could have been a manly lady but I honestly... don't think so.

My heart sank and fell through the floor. I looked at the females closer in the tank and realized how bad their fins were. I wanted to buy the little male hoping it'd calm everything down but I forced myself not to... not only did they have a "run your tank for three days before buying fish" policy based off myth (they question you about your setup before letting you buy, I can't lie to people and it wouldn't have been right to either) but if I had bought that little betta it would have emptied space for yet another fish to be put in that tank and possibly be misidentified... not to mention how the females have offers to be sold as pairs and are apparently peaceful community fish.

The care in itself isn't too bad, the fish are bright and seem active and the staff do care about the animals but this whole thing has just left me so deflated. I understand how common it is for young bettas to be misidentified but the fact that this (assumed)male was missing almost all of his tail and chunks out of his fins... the females were nipping, chasing and flaring at eachother... if those females really turn on eachother -- or if they're put in someone's community tank and they go ballistic it'll be horrible.

We have an empty 22 gal in the back garden but I can't care for another tank, let alone a betta sorority. The females were 5/$7.50ish a pair and there were what... 7... 10 girls in the tank? If I'd have bought them they'd have been replaced and the cycle repeated... I know that but I still feel bad.

I guess I should just be thankful that the minimum tank size the store sells is around 13 litres (3 gallons).

I don't like to rant outwardly but I just feel terrible. I dread to think how I'd react if I was one of the people who was centre in one of the myriad of PetCo, Petsmart and Walmart horror stories I've read about...

I think I'll go back to building my filter for a while... distract myself. I still can't get that female and male out of my head but even if I did decide to buy them I simply can't care for another tank yet... I'd also rather support a store like the one I got Kaze or Echo from. Great places... there's a new pet store a short drive away my dad offered to take me to tomorrow... I may take him up on that offer but then I may just end up deflated again... it isn't a chain store though so I may be surprised.

I don't know... I'll stop rambling now heh.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 07-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #14008 
tpocicat

New rant: part of an old rant. I sent 2 female and 2 male bettas to a buyer that wanted them shipped Priority. They arrived sick even though they were healthy when I shipped them, and none of my other bettas are sick. Now she wants her money back and has filed a claim on Paypal. Now her payment is frozen, including the shipping fee! I've told her I believe that what happened was due to stress, and while I feel bad that the fish all died, it wasn't my fault. I'm so mad!! I clearly wrote the only guarantee I offer is when shipped Express.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #14009 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's the chance you take when you take the cheaper route. It's not your fault.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #14010 
Neil D

RANT:

I'm a member on another forum, and as helpful as they are, sometimes the rules are ridiculous. I was reading up on salt baths for my sick ryukin goldfish and then went over there to ask if it was okay. I posted the link so they know where I got the info from/if it was correct info. Mistake.

That's All. :/
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou