Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #14351 
TheCrabbyTabby

Thank you Teeny.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #14352 
thekinetic

UH oh, what did I do?!?! The other day I happend to pick up a menu from a pizzaria we go to and noticed a small jesus fish on the back bottom of it. Well I brought this up with my parents and said "I never noticed that", my parents hadn't noticed either.

Now I made the mistake of mentioning that I heard chick-fil-a does too. My dad then said that he agrees with what they said and that he doesn't think gays should be able to marry either. Then me and my big mouth said "well I think they're just hate-mongering".

Now what happened was scary, they went silent, I mean silent silent. You could almost hear them doing math putting two and two together so fast. And what's worse is now they're treating me different, you know like when someone is walking on eggshells around you.

I think I may have given away too much with that remark, and now they have the full puzzle!
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #14353 
BettaHeart

It had to happen sooner rather then later because you shouldnt have to behave differently for their happiness, that is for themselves to make happen.
No one can tell others to feel a certain way just to make everyone else comfortable and quite honestly it makes me feel bad you cannot be yourself and fully accepted and love by your own parents.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #14354 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree, BettaHeart. Kinetic, you're still the same person you were before they found out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #14355 
BettaHeart

All that can really happen now is to focus on the best possible outcome

All is Well
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #14356 
thekinetic

It's not hate I'm thinking of because they are my parents. They still love my brother after all the things he's done, which are by far worse. It's just my family has a bad habit of ridiculing things that aren't normal.

They will probably confront me with it after it's done sinking in, so the countdown to that awkward moment has started. Now I'm too stubborn to cave to pressure so I'm not worried I'll hold my ground, plus I do a lot around here and know they need me as much as I need them.

So in the end I will win out and that weight I've been dragging around will be finally loosed. :)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #14357 
Aahnay

Sounds like they are very afraid. Perhaps afraid of what gay represents to them, you know what I mean. The could be afraid of aids, etc, considering the way they think.

They could be afraid you will turn them in for being hate mongers!
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #14358 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people act like being gay is a disease. One of my cousins is like that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #14359 
thekinetic

Well dramaqueen that is actually something me and my dad agree on, that being gay is not normal. Just a crossed wire in the brain. Of course it ends there as he thinks it could be fixed. Which is where my fear comes in, what if he tries to "fix" my brain? I've seen what it does first hand, when I cured my ocd I was actually repairing mixed wires. It does change you! And unlike the ocd which needed to be gone, being gay is harmless.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #14360 
Betta Slave

I'm sorry, thekinetic. My parents are the same way. I have a few friends who are gay, but my mom doesn't know- and out of curiosity, I asked her what she'd do if I told her I was gay (which I'm not, but I wanted to know)- and she said she'd have a "long, long talk" with me, which I found was upsetting- she'd try to change who I was, despite her saying that she'd love me no matter what? She says it's not black and white, and since she's a social worker she's somewhat biased, because most of the people she talks to has problems of some sort. It's ridiculous.

But as DQ's said, you were still the same person before they found out. I wouldn't worry too much; eventually they'll just have to accept that. Best of luck.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou