Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #14461 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I got something one time that said if you like this and want to share it then that's great but if you choose not to forward it then that's fine, too because God is not dependent on e mail.
I would hug that email.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #14462 
AngesRadieux

My college professors egos know no bounds! I'm a little sickened by it.
First, there's my French 101 professor, who thinks her class is the greatest thing in the world. So much so that we aren't allowed to leave to use the bathroom during class and takes points off our grade if we use the bathroom during class three or more times throughout the semester. I'm sorry. I'm a legal adult and I think I am more than capable of understanding the needs of my bladder. I try not to leave classes to use the bathroom because I don't like missing parts of a lecture. But if I really do have to go, especially if I need to take care of a certain feminine issue, I can quite easily catch up on the few minutes I'll have missed. Also, if we miss class for any reason we're required to schedule a tutoring session to make up for lost points. I'm well ahead of the class already. It took me all of an hour to do all the homework for the first three weeks of class, so I'm all set with homework until class 6. If I get sick, I THINK I can afford to miss a class or two without tutoring.

Then there's my fiction writing professor. She just sent out the syllabus. Three absences for ANY reason result in automatically failing the class. Excuse me? If I'm sick with a fever, I'm not going to class. Not only would I end up infecting my classmates but I'll be putting myself at risk by trying to drive when I'm too sick to go to class. I also don't want to get sick. So I kind of resent that everyone else in my class is going to be trying to drag themselves to class when they're hacking up a lung. As with leaving to use the bathroom, I do try not to miss class and if I do have to miss class for some reason, I always send an e-mail to let the professor know. If I'm keeping up with the work, I don't think it's fair to threaten to fail me if, God forbid, I get very sick or am otherwise incapacitated and for some reason cannot get to class. Class is important, but life does happen.

There's also my statistics professor! I spent the first HALF HOUR of class today listening to him bash my area of study. So much fun! He basically went on a rant about how math/engineering/statistics majors are the best ever and majors in the arts are worthless. Then after tons of bashing, he finally asks if there are anyone studying the arts in the room. A bit peeved, I raise my hand and inform him that I'm a music major. (Not strictly true... I'm technically a liberal arts major, but I was a music major for the last two years and would like to get back into a music program.) He proceeds to ask if I'm lost and, if I'm not, why I'm there. Then he has the gall to act all shocked when he finds out that music majors do have a math requirement to fill and then suggest I switch to an easier math class. Then he carries on and on about how his class will be the hardest class we've ever taken unless we've taken calc 2. Sorry. Statistics is NOTHING compared to Musicianship 3 and 4. And for all his yapping about what a difficult class it's going to be? I got all the homework for chapter one, including the section we haven't gone over yet in class, done in under an hour and a half. And thanks to all his bashing, I feel like I STILL have to prove I belong in that class instead of "algebra for the liberal arts major" or whatever BS class he suggested I switch to.

My creative writing professor had better be a reasonable, rational human being or my head's going to explode.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #14463 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngesRadieux View Post
My college professors egos know no bounds! I'm a little sickened by it.
First, there's my French 101 professor, who thinks her class is the greatest thing in the world. So much so that we aren't allowed to leave to use the bathroom during class and takes points off our grade if we use the bathroom during class three or more times throughout the semester. I'm sorry. I'm a legal adult and I think I am more than capable of understanding the needs of my bladder. I try not to leave classes to use the bathroom because I don't like missing parts of a lecture. But if I really do have to go, especially if I need to take care of a certain feminine issue, I can quite easily catch up on the few minutes I'll have missed. Also, if we miss class for any reason we're required to schedule a tutoring session to make up for lost points. I'm well ahead of the class already. It took me all of an hour to do all the homework for the first three weeks of class, so I'm all set with homework until class 6. If I get sick, I THINK I can afford to miss a class or two without tutoring.

Then there's my fiction writing professor. She just sent out the syllabus. Three absences for ANY reason result in automatically failing the class. Excuse me? If I'm sick with a fever, I'm not going to class. Not only would I end up infecting my classmates but I'll be putting myself at risk by trying to drive when I'm too sick to go to class. I also don't want to get sick. So I kind of resent that everyone else in my class is going to be trying to drag themselves to class when they're hacking up a lung. As with leaving to use the bathroom, I do try not to miss class and if I do have to miss class for some reason, I always send an e-mail to let the professor know. If I'm keeping up with the work, I don't think it's fair to threaten to fail me if, God forbid, I get very sick or am otherwise incapacitated and for some reason cannot get to class. Class is important, but life does happen.

There's also my statistics professor! I spent the first HALF HOUR of class today listening to him bash my area of study. So much fun! He basically went on a rant about how math/engineering/statistics majors are the best ever and majors in the arts are worthless. Then after tons of bashing, he finally asks if there are anyone studying the arts in the room. A bit peeved, I raise my hand and inform him that I'm a music major. (Not strictly true... I'm technically a liberal arts major, but I was a music major for the last two years and would like to get back into a music program.) He proceeds to ask if I'm lost and, if I'm not, why I'm there. Then he has the gall to act all shocked when he finds out that music majors do have a math requirement to fill and then suggest I switch to an easier math class. Then he carries on and on about how his class will be the hardest class we've ever taken unless we've taken calc 2. Sorry. Statistics is NOTHING compared to Musicianship 3 and 4. And for all his yapping about what a difficult class it's going to be? I got all the homework for chapter one, including the section we haven't gone over yet in class, done in under an hour and a half. And thanks to all his bashing, I feel like I STILL have to prove I belong in that class instead of "algebra for the liberal arts major" or whatever BS class he suggested I switch to.

My creative writing professor had better be a reasonable, rational human being or my head's going to explode.
Ugh! Sounds like some GIANT egos at play here. Sorry you have to deal with these turkeys. Especially the last one.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #14464 
SnowySurface

@AngesRadiuex

In my opnion there is nothing in any school on this earth that can be harder to take then Physical Chemistry. Physical chem is the demon offspring of chemistry, physics, and multivariable calculus. You would think 3 entities wouldn't be able to spawn together to create one hellish offspring....but they did. T~T

So...yeah. Statistics is far from the hardest class you could be taking.

Also, I think what your teachers want as far as bathroom habits and sick days are concerned is illegal. I missed work a few months back because of food poisoning that was so severe I took a trip to the ER. If I had that case of food poisoning while taking your classes I would have 3 choices.

1) call out sick like a sane person, go to the hosiptal, and get penialized

2) Skip the trip to the hospital, come to school like a crazy person, and get penialized for going to the bathroom 5 times in a 2 hour period

3) Skip the trip to the hospital, come to school like a crazy person, use the nearest garbage can for my "needs", and get kicked out of school all together

I don't give myself food poisoning on a weekly basis, but when life happens you shouldn't get failed for it or have marks taken off your passing grade. I'm pretty sure you can go above their heads to save your grade if an emergency does happen. But you shouldn't have that many hoops to jump through in the first place. : /

Last edited by SnowySurface; 09-10-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #14465 
AngesRadieux

Yeah, I know statistics isn't the most difficult class. The hardest part is going to be keeping my temper in check if he goes off bashing arts majors again. He pulled up some stupid article about college majors that make the most money. The moment I saw the title I was like "I know where you're going, and I DON'T like it!" I think I shut him up a bit when he started rolling his eyes every time my hand went up to answer a question because I was answering everything.

I actually don't think it's illegal. I think teachers do have the right to make rules like that, but they're just unreasonable. In an ideal world, I wouldn't have to miss class. But things do happen. And while my school course load isn't too heavy (despite what my professors claim), I do work and I have therapy so scheduling a tutoring session on my time to regain points lost just because I got sick and couldn't go to French class would be a pain.

Same thing with fiction writing. Ideally, I wouldn't have to miss class. I'm not the type of person who cuts class all the time, doesn't come prepared, etc. I'm a pretty good student and if I generally don't miss class. But if something happens, I can't always control it. What if my car breaks down one day and for some reason my mom isn't around to drive me? Or, again, if I get sick with something a bit less manageable than a cold? It's just ridiculously unreasonable.

I probably could fight it if I really needed to, but I shouldn't have to argue and go through all kinds of appeals to pass a class just because I happen to get sick or have car trouble or some other unpredictable problem that stops me from getting to campus. Plus, I hate to break it to them but this is a COMMUNITY COLLEGE! It's not like it's known for its rigorous courses, anyway. Sorry, it just isn't.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #14466 
Shirleythebetta

Lol my university teachers aren't as harsh as that. I go to a private university even. Omg.

And bashing the arts major thing. I hate to say it but I told you it wasn't respected. Never thought community college would act so high and mighty abt it though. Wow. Its almost like educational racism. Stick with your dreams though. People are going to bash them, thats life. The fight is what makes achieving a dream worth it. If life was easy we would all be bored.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #14467 
dramaqueen
Banned

I went to a dinky little junior college my first 2 years and they couldn't care less if you got up and walked out because you had to use the restroom.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #14468 
Pataflafla

Sister's male cat has been acting off for a few days now, so we took him to the vet. His right eye was a bit swollen, so they took xrays and didn't really see anything.

Now, the two option the vet gave us are both bad news. The better of the bad is that he has an abscess behind his right eye. The worst of the two is that he has a tumor, most likely in his brain.

Our poor sweet, angel boy isn't doing so hot and it on antibiotics and the strongest dose of pain killers to safely use with his weight. Needless, to say he's a little out of it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #14469 
tpocicat

Poor little guy! *hugs*
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #14470 
TheCrabbyTabby

*Rant of the Day*

Ugg. I hate the fact that this medication I take makes me fat. I gained well over 60 pounds on it. I feel fat, disgusting, and ugly. I also feel sometimes, like any guy I would be interested in, would be turned off by my fat. I long for the days when I was a slim 120 lbs. I just want my body back the way it was before I started this stupid medication.

I tried going off of it secretly, but I was caught soon after loosing a job opportunity I blew. Apparently I get edgy and wound up, then end up building anger til I blow up in a fit of pure rage. The medication I am on is supposed to help with that, but I dunno. Is it worth being obese just to have mental stability?

Stupid problems, stupid meds, stupid me.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou