Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #14931 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mom got sick 2 days after she got her flu shot.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #14932 
Creat

Oh no :( hope she feels better soon
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #14933 
BettaHeart

+1 ^^^
i always get the sniffles after my flu shot, not fun
~~~~~~~~~~
anti-rant: omg omg omg my babies are going to be here tomorrow !!! eeeee!!!!!! i never make that noise but this time its called for
check them out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqA_...ature=youtu.be
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #14934 
Creat

so gorgeous love the babies wishing them a safe trip !
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #14935 
SnowySurface

I hate how the flu shot is over simplified. Pharmacies, TV comercials, and even random posters make it seem like anyone no matter age, gender, or medical history can get the shot and be good to go immediately. But there are some tips you have to keep in mind to get the flu shot safely.

1) Are you sick or have a weak immune system? Even if it is just the sniffles you should not get a vaccinee if your immune system is already busy. You'll overload yourself and make things worse. Maybe if you are autoimmune compormised you are better off getting the shot. But in that case you should speak with your PCP and not a random pharmacist.

2) Is the flu season 2 weeks or more away? Your system needs about 2 weeks to build antibodies to fight the flu. If you get the shot too late, you run the risk of fighting the flu vaccinne while your body is fighting the actual flu. I got my shot back in mid August to make sure that doesn't happen.

3) Are you allergic to eggs? If the answer is yes, then the flu shot can kill you. If the answer is maybe, get tested so you know the flu shot won't kill you. XD

4) Are you sensitive to the flu shot? The shot should give you a mild case of the flu. If you get the full blown flu or a flu so severe you end up in the hospital, then the vaccinee is completely useless and should be avoided. There are people who honestly are better off getting the flu than getting the flu shot.

So I guess my rant is due to a mix of misinformation and lack of information about the flu shot. It bugs me when the shot is advertised as this "cure all" anyone can take to prevent the flu, but it's not. Just like every other drug some people can have it and some people need to stay away from it. I happen to be one of the people who can benefit as long as I get it early enough; But even I consider the shot useless for myself after mid September. I'll never understand why pharmacies administor the shot all the way into December. By that time you've been exposed to the flu and made antibodies the old fashioned way. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #14936 
Freyja
Banned

Adding to Snowy's post, there is no real reason why a healthy adult should get the flu vaccine. Flu vaccines are recommended for young children or the elderly.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #14937 
ThePearlFish

I personally prefer not to get a Flu shot. Plus (knock on wood), I haven't gotten sick in a few years.

My rant is why does my BF take months and months to put stuff away when I keep reminding him and it has been sitting in a huge pile in the same spot for months! Makes my job of cleaning just a little more difficult. Causes me stress trying to get him to pick up after himself. >.>
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #14938 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Lol I had to look up the meaning of knock on wood so I wouldn't drive myself crazy thinking about it all day. I've heard the saying but didn't know the meaning.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #14939 
Creat

I dont get immunized usually cause I am a poor college student who spends all her income on her fish lol
My rant: Still not getting over this cold! Grrrrrrr.... (ironic isnt it lol)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #14940 
Bettawolf19

I only got the flu shot once and thats because of my dad and how he has a weakened immune system because the meds hes on. Otherwise I don't even bother with it.
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou