Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #15621 
LittleBettaFish

I also suffer from depression and social anxiety, so much so I have been unemployed for a year because the thought of doing anything proactive such as sending off my resume or enrolling in a university course makes me feel like I would rather be dead.

What I have written is in no way offensive. A crutch is not a way of coping with depression, particularly when that crutch is going to be completely dependent on you for everything. Depression is never rational. Feeling fine and coping one day does not mean feeling fine and coping the next.

If the man found comfort in being around my dog I would let him do things like walk it, play with it etc. but also advise him to look into treatment options offered by professionals. I don't really think you cure true depression with a dog.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #15622 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pets can practically cure depression Carter manages my deppresion better than the meds. I don't have social anxiety but I have anxiety, Depression, Adhd, and Asperger syndrome.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #15623 
LittleBettaFish

I think pets do have a very positive impact on our lives. I know I love having my cats cuddle in with me every night, or watching our dogs playing at the park in the yard together. It is a definite mood booster and I would definitely be much worse off (but most likely wealthier haha) without them.

However, I think on the point you brought up that we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Doesn't make anyone's opinion less valid, just means what might be good for the goose might not be as good for the gander.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #15624 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree to disagree. Was that good social skills?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #15625 
FishyFishy89

I find it very sad that y'all are so selfish with your pets that if your pet OBVIOUSLY was helping someone you'd still hold onto your pet with grabby hands. I take my pug to visit the elderly every Sunday.(it is the only time she is sane and calm) If any of those elderly obviously needed my pug and could correctly care for my pug, then I wouldn't stop to give that person my dog. My dog loves helping these people and imagine if I could give her the ability to do that 24/7. She'd be in heaven. Lastly, there's other dogs in shelters that need a loving home too. Some people cannot take in more than 1 dog. And being able to give my dog to someone who needs her and can use her passion can open up a spot in my home for an animal who can be saved.

Why? Why be selfish?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #15626 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love your pug it is adorible is there anything funny they do?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #15627 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I love your pug it is adorible is there anything funny they do?
Thank you.
Everything they do is funny.
They don't make normal dog noises. I rarely hear her actually bark. 95% of the time it is a "Boof".
She snores and snorts ALL the time. She's insanely hyper yet she'll sleep all day long. She's very manipulative and super smart too.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #15628 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are they easy to care for dog wise?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #15629 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
CB no I would not give the dog to him. Relying on a dog like that is not healthy and that person should be seeking professional help to deal with their issues. Also, who is to say your dog isn't going to end up abandoned or mistreated if the person in question is suffering through a particularly bad patch. Some people struggle to look after themselves when depressed, how are they going to look after my dog properly?
I agree with this post.

I am diagnosed with depression and I know how hard it can be when you get yourself in a rut. Some people cannot cope or take care of themselves. I would not trust someone unable to properly care for themselves to care for my dog.

Quote:
I find it very sad that y'all are so selfish with your pets that if your pet OBVIOUSLY was helping someone you'd still hold onto your pet with grabby hands. I take my pug to visit the elderly every Sunday.(it is the only time she is sane and calm) If any of those elderly obviously needed my pug and could correctly care for my pug, then I wouldn't stop to give that person my dog. My dog loves helping these people and imagine if I could give her the ability to do that 24/7. She'd be in heaven. Lastly, there's other dogs in shelters that need a loving home too. Some people cannot take in more than 1 dog. And being able to give my dog to someone who needs her and can use her passion can open up a spot in my home for an animal who can be saved.

Why? Why be selfish?
It is one thing for your dog to help out by being a therapy animal, but still remaining with you at the end of the day. Not every animal has the personality to be one however. I would certainly not GIVE my dog to someone cus they had issues. My dog thinks she is MY dog. She thinks I belong to her, in her pack. It would be hurtful to HER if I just handed her leash to someone one day and said "You keep her forever and ever."

Quote:
Carter manages my deppresion better than the meds. I don't have social anxiety but I have anxiety, Depression, Adhd, and Asperger syndrome.
An animal CANNOT cure any disease. They can only act as a therapy aid to help you cope with it.

Chocolate- so would you give Carter to someone else to help them since he has such great potential to help someone with a disorder?

I would think not, as you yourself said he is so important to you since he helps you. But what if someone told you that they needed him more than you, but could not guarantee taking good care of him because they do not know when their disorder can get bad and they forget about everyone but themselves?

ETA- My pets are like my children. You do NOT leave your children with some stranger cus they think he is special and leave them there cus they would make their life special, right? :P To me as I said before, to rip me away from my dog from me would be the equivalent of someone taking my soul away.

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 11-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #15630 
LittleBettaFish

I wasn't going to respond to your post, but it just peeved me off.

The reason I don't want to give my dog away to someone, is because it's my dog and I can be selfish as I want with my dog. If that person is so desperate for a dog they can go as you said and give a home to one of the multitude out there are so desperate for one.

I would find that a lot more emotionally rewarding than trying to take someone's dog who they clearly love.

Also my dogs and cats are important to me. What makes my emotional needs any less valuable than someone just because they have a disorder? It would be like if someone came up and said they would like to take one of your children as he/she makes them happy. I really don't think you would be open to that no matter how 'happy' it makes them.

Also, we do not keep shelter dogs here. We own purebred GS that we show so really a shelter dog isn't going to be a suitable replacement. While we have had them in the past and two of them were some of the best dogs we have owned, our goals are different nowadays and so the dog we are after is most likely not going to be found in a shelter.

Haha I see you went with the children idea too. I was going to use mother/father but figured that some posters may be happy to give their parents away!

Tags
bettathanyou