Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #15631 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Are they easy to care for dog wise?
Oh no!
Far from easy. And if you "take it easy" when caring for them, they start having issues.

Emma's wrinkles need cleaning everyday. And it is no easy task. She hates the cleaner I use. If I don't clean them, all the dirt and grim that gets in there will irritate her and she'll start scratching her face non-stop.

Her eyes(and 98% of pugs) need special eye gel. If not, she gets all these gooby, sticky eye boogies. And her eyes get really dry, sticky and uncomfortable.

They are a breed that can come with a whole host of problems if not carefully bred. I know I got lucky with her. She has no breathing problems. If she did, she would have to undergo surgery to help her. They can also have eyes that protrude quite far from their skull. Making them very easy to eye injuries.

The only problems I have with her is her minor skin issues. And that is VERY minor. Lots of dogs these days come will moderate to severe skin issues.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #15632 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post

Haha I see you went with the children idea too. I was going to use mother/father but figured that some posters may be happy to give their parents away!
Yup! My dog (and my other critters) are my BABIES! I don't want human kids, and my critters bring out my maternal instincts.:P

I think pugs are such funny little dogs :) They always seem happy and i love their little snuffles. My dog on the other hand is freaked out by their snorts, grunts and noises :P

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 11-22-2012 at 08:39 PM.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #15633 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I wasn't going to respond to your post, but it just peeved me off.

The reason I don't want to give my dog away to someone, is because it's my dog and I can be selfish as I want with my dog. If that person is so desperate for a dog they can go as you said and give a home to one of the multitude out there are so desperate for one.

I would find that a lot more emotionally rewarding than trying to take someone's dog who they clearly love.

Also my dogs and cats are important to me. What makes my emotional needs any less valuable than someone just because they have a disorder? It would be like if someone came up and said they would like to take one of your children as he/she makes them happy. I really don't think you would be open to that no matter how 'happy' it makes them.

Also, we do not keep shelter dogs here. We own purebred GS that we show so really a shelter dog isn't going to be a suitable replacement. While we have had them in the past and two of them were some of the best dogs we have owned, our goals are different nowadays and so the dog we are after is most likely not going to be found in a shelter.

Haha I see you went with the children idea too. I was going to use mother/father but figured that some posters may be happy to give their parents away!
So...answer me this?
Why spend so much money on a "pure-bred" dog? Why not go give a dog in the shelter a loving home? Do you know that for every dog you purchase from a breeder thousands more are being killed because you decided you wanted a "pure-bred" dog?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #15634 
LittleBettaFish

Same here. I feel I would probably be an awful mother. Just have a very low threshold for repetitive noises and have no maternal instinct whatsoever. Seeing children and newborn babies just sends a shiver down my spine.

I also don't do hospitals, doctors, needles, anything painful etc. and giving birth seems to cover that entire spectrum of dislike.

I always ask my mum what she got out of having me that she couldn't get out of just having more cats haha. Cannot see the appeal in raising children at all.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #15635 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
So...answer me this?
Why spend so much money on a "pure-bred" dog? Why not go give a dog in the shelter a loving home? Do you know that for every dog you purchase from a breeder thousands more are being killed because you decided you wanted a "pure-bred" dog?
That is actually an incorrect statement and one that really gets my goat.

Properly bred purebreds (not those produced by 'hobbyists', BYBs or puppy mills) are bred with a purpose in mind. The type of home they are sold into are usually very unlikely to dump their dog off at a shelter and even if they do it is usually sent to the breed rescue group for adoption.

Me buying a purebred dog because I want to know the temperament, health, background and upbringing of that dog (all of which play an important role, particularly in a strong and reactive breed such as shepherds) does not directly correlate to the euthanasia of the thousands of dogs in shelters and pounds.

Those dogs are there because of ignorant, irresponsible and lazy owners. They are there because of people who failed to make provisions for their animals should something happen. They are usually there because they are dogs and the people purchasing them would be more suited to owning pet rocks than a living, breathing animal that requires more effort than a pat and a 'good boy'.

Even if I never ever bought another purebred dog again thousands of dogs would still be in shelters. You then know what happens when all the good, responsible breeders of dogs stop breeding? You end up with dogs whose genetic history is unknown, dogs who have severe health problems later down the track because of a lack of screening, dogs who have huge holes in their training because their owners couldn't be arsed getting off the couch and teaching them.

My dad has a dog we got from a shelter here. It is a two year old pitbull cross who was dumped at the shelter because the owners did not have a fence. This dog has severe separation anxiety and is all over you like a rash with no off switch. My dad's yard looks like a Jurrassic Park exhibit as he struggled to keep him contained. He is a very sweet dog and when he listens he is very smart and loves to please. However, never in a million years would that be the kind of dog I am interested in.

Yet there are thousands of 'Porters' out there who will be destroyed because no one wants a dog that is going to scale a 5ft fence and push through electric fencing to get out.

I know I certainly would not. It is hard enough raising a puppy from scratch, let alone fixing the mistakes of others.

So don't rant at me and anyone else who chooses to purchase from responsible breeders. We are not the problem, and if there were only people like us in the world there would probably be many less dogs sitting in those shelters waiting for a home that is never going to come.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #15636 
FishyFishy89

No, what I am "ranting" about is breeders who think they're dogs' purpose is to be shown off and paraded around or they're dogs' purpose is to guard or sit beside it's family.
NO! Breeding shouldn't be done unless countless research is done to IMPROVE the breed as a whole.

Now I am NOT debating this further. End of conversation. Period. Provoke it even further and I will report.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #15637 
ThePearlFish

That's unfair fishy, just because someone doesn't have the same beliefs as you doesn't mean they are wrong, eh? :)

I think the purpose of a REPUTABLE breeder is not to only further the breed as a whole, but to maintain the integrity of the breed's past. Without these reputable breeders, we'd have mutts that might look like somewhat purebred, but the breed will eventually die out cus bloodlines are muddied.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #15638 
5150wicd4fish

Rant! Time to change forums...where's administration when you need them..
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #15639 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
That's unfair fishy, just because someone doesn't have the same beliefs as you doesn't mean they are wrong, eh? :)

I think the purpose of a REPUTABLE breeder is not to only further the breed as a whole, but to maintain the integrity of the breed's past. Without these reputable breeders, we'd have mutts that might look like somewhat purebred, but the breed will eventually die out cus bloodlines are muddied.
I didn't say she was wrong.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #15640 
ThePearlFish

Rant: we still have so many of the guests awake and I am soo tired. I don't want to go to sleep cus I am having fun being part of some of these convos., but eyes are TIRED..

Tags
bettathanyou