Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #15831 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I know. I have that. It's not like hibernation. Also it's Affective disorder, hence s.a.d.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #15832 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

"In many species, activity is diminished during the winter months in response to the reduction in available food and the difficulties of surviving in cold weather. Hibernation is an extreme example, but even species that do not hibernate often exhibit changes in behavior during the winter. It has been argued that SAD is an evolved adaptation in humans that is a variant or remnant of a hibernation response in some remote ancestor.[23] Presumably, food was scarce during most of human prehistory, and a tendency toward low mood during the winter months would have been adaptive by reducing the need for calorie intake. The preponderance of women with SAD suggests that the response may also somehow regulate reproduction.[23]"
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #15833 
ThePearlFish

I too think I might have a form of S.A.D. Olympia (though I am not diagnosed) My Depression gets worse and I notice a significant change in my mood and body functions in how I am with the late autumn/winter season VS spring and summer.

I don't see how Hibernation is like S.A.D. Hibernation does not contribute to emotional maladies and S.A.D. does not cause your body temperature to lower enough for you to go into torpor.

The above you wrote Chocolate, does not say that Hibernation is the same thing and doesn't even say that S.A.D. is a form of it. It is actually explaining how S.A.D. MAY have evolved from hibernation. Doesn't even say it is true only that they are guessing about it.

That is how I read the above.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #15834 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Thanks Pearl. I guess the only good thing about it is that I can see it coming every year now.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #15835 
ThePearlFish

Not related to the above I wrote just now, but I am jut extremely emotionally tired and sad. My communicating with the BF is taking a major toll on me. I feel like he doesn't care..And we are supposed to spend the rest of our life together...
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #15836 
moonsand0wls

I have S.A.D.
It's horrible.
I can't leave my house because of it. Or even see family or friends.
I spew up if I get dragged out of the house because I'm so nervous and feel sick etc.
And I faint.
D:
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #15837 
moonsand0wls

Oh wait... I just read that. S.A.D - Seasonal Disorder or whatever? Sorry, I thought you's were meaning S.A.D - Social Anxiety Disorder

My bad :L
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #15838 
ZergyMonster

That is why I think acronyms should be used after the use of what it is for. IE: Heart of the Swarm(HotS) or Pursuit Intervention Technique(PIT). It makes things so much easier to understand.

Personal rant: I showed my father a book I got because I never read and he got really irritated about the subject matter. He tells me that I am obsessed with Star Craft 2. I spend much less time with Star Craft than I he does with sports; and to me Star Craft 2 is my sport. Such bigotry.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #15839 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was only comparing the difference in activity to S.A.D. like what I read said it may be part of when earlier species hibernated.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #15840 
thekinetic

Personally I thrive on the cold dead of winter but that's a very complex part of me. Each season to me is like a fine wine each with it's own smells and feel. But while the spring, summer, and fall are happier the winter appeals to that somberness in me that I so often indulge.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou