Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #16161 
Shirleythebetta

Good moms and dads are few and far between. Kids get things way younger. Parents use the excuse now "but that's what they wanted for Christmas" and buy kids whatever nonsense they want. That's what my nieces mom does. My nieces and cousins got tablets for Christmas. My mom bought her a cell phone when. She was nine. Its too much. I had a different mother when I was her age. I don't know what happened to her after we grew up.

My eight year old nephew is worse. He has a wii, an xbox, a PSP, a Nintendo D's, and every toy he could think of and tells his parents no they tell. Him to get outside. Its like parents have gotten lazy. They don't care anymore. With these kinds of influences around now I'm almost glad I can't have children without years of treatments. That would make it harder for parents who want their kids to be Kids. My niece gets mad at me because I won't buy her high healed boots and movies about teenage girls. She wanted me to get her a movie about three girls who go to France after graduation. One of the girls is a high school dropout working as a waitress. I want her to go to college why would I buy her stuff like that? Things that show her that giving up on an education and working minimum wage while living on your looks is okay? I don't think so. She needs someone in her life who shows her morals. Her mom approved of that movie and called to ask me to buy it for Christmas. She got a big fat no.

P.s. you have to earn/give respect to get it... I get sick of people who treat me like crap because I'm young which apparently equals stupid around here.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #16162 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelessaddict101 View Post
OKAY here's a rant. D:<

I absolutely hate those people who think they know everything and will not take the advice of anyone else. This person just will NOT listen to me when I say 5 CT male Betta should not be housed together, in an undivided tank, just because they have been together since birth and aren't aggressive. No matter what I tell them. Hmmmph. Disaster waiting to happen.
Actually, it is possible.... But the tank would need to be a decent large size and preferably LONG. I still got some of my boys with the many females. But they won't stay in there forever :3

Shirley: when I have kids I'll probably have them taken away. Since by law you can't discipline because it hurts their poor little minds, you can't say no because it'll damage their poor little minds, and cannot refuse them something because it'll damage their poor little minds.... Well in my house there is no TV in the bedroom, game stations would be FAMILY owned, chores would exist, and so would time outs and groundings. Temper tantrums in a store means a walk to the vehicle and NOT getting what they want. My kid also won't have billions of toys and clothes. Or a cellphone until they are maybe 10 and that is the specially made one for kids... Which has programmed numbers and no Internet access or ability to text or call strangers. To those dang whiners who screwed up the system I'd be a terrible parent. To REAL people, I'd be a good one.

Young = stupid. Such a typical stereotype against age groups.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-06-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #16163 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Actually, it is possible.... But the tank would need to be a decent large size and preferably LONG. I still got some of my boys with the many females. But they won't stay in there forever :3

Shirley: when I have kids I'll probably have them taken away. Since by law you can't discipline because it hurts their poor little minds, you can't say no because it'll damage their poor little minds, and cannot refuse them something because it'll damage their poor little minds.... Well in my house there is no TV in the bedroom, game stations would be FAMILY owned, chores would exist, and so would time outs and groundings. Temper tantrums in a store means a walk to the vehicle and NOT getting what they want. My kid also won't have billions of toys and clothes. Or a cellphone until they are maybe 10 and that is the specially made one for kids... Which has programmed numbers and no Internet access or ability to text or call strangers. To those dang whiners who screwed up the system I'd be a terrible parent. To REAL people, I'd be a good one.

Young = stupid. Such a typical stereotype against age groups.
I know. I believe in discipline too. Its a shame all of those "intelligent" professional psychologists and government workers release that kind of crap into society. To much interference has created an escalated number of people who don't want to work and live in their parents basements playing video games and eating chips. Not to mention parents who just dont care. Honestly mine will probably be taken away for "abuse" to if I ever decide to have one. I will not allow any child of mine to grow up believing I will be around forever to take care of them. Kids need to learn how to earn things they want just as much as they need to be comfortable with technology. I started working at twelve and have bought my own clothing since that age. This is the first time since then that I haven't had a job and its because I am in business school and my husband wanted me to give myself a break until I get my degree in march.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-06-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #16164 
Sena Hansler

Exactly. I'm more old fashioned... With many aspects. Which is another reason I won't "achieve much".
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #16165 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Exactly. I'm more old fashioned... With many aspects. Which is another reason I won't "achieve much".
Sena I think you are going to do just fine. You are independent and taking your life in your own hands. I used to get so upset when people told me I was selfish for not having kids I dont want. Sometimes it still hurts when family says it but I had to realize that I can't live life to make others happy. Which is another reason I didn't have four kids at twenty two like my friends and I got married in a courthouse instead of spending thousands on a wedding I didn't want. Since I don't have kids like them me and my friends haven't talked in several years because I have no children and a loving husband and my own home with four cars and freedom. Most of them are hopping boyfriend to boyfriend and living with/off their parents. No matter what they say I am happy with my life and don't feel me and my husband need a kid to complete us as a family. We are a family just the two of us and we are both happy. I refuse to let anyone diminish that because they feel the need to tell me how to l live my life. I think others get down on women like us because we have a better opportunity to live our dreams than the rest do. That isn't a remark for women who desire to be a mom. To be fair some women dream of motherhood. That isn't who I am. I love kids but I dream of starting my own business. That's who I am.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #16166 
ThePearlFish

I do hate how people with kids are all like "Oh! You life is meaningless without kids, they are the best thing that ever happened to me and when you have a kid of your own you'll understand" Um, it is nice that that is your POV on your situation, but I don't feel that way and I don't WANT kids ever. To me my animals and especially DOG are just as precious to me as any kid would be to its mother and to me THEY are the most miraculous precious things in the world.

"Oh, but you'll want kids one day. If not now, then at some point, I thought I didn't but I changed my mind"

Good for you, but *I* won't change my mind.. -roll eyes- Ugh!
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #16167 
Sena Hansler

Well, I mean I am not "good enough" for society, therefore won't "achieve anything". But it doesn't mean I don't achieve what I want And I do want kids. We've been talking about it more and more... And the way things are going at work with the hypocritical and discriminatory manner of my managers I'll probably be home more for my betta breeding.

I think no one HAS to have children. Someone I work with does not have the maternal desire, neither did her mom or her grandma. And therefore she has no children and is fine with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #16168 
Shirleythebetta

Sena-Its okay to want children. I am on the fence but leaning more towards no as I see the struggles that mothers face. Not sure if i want to give up what i want to do. For me if i have children i will be home raising them. I dont want my possible children to be raised in daycare. I want to be there for everything if i have them. Plus, my mom didn't work when I was little and it benefited me a ton having a parent around all the time. But, my point is, What is important is living life to your own standards and not societies.

Pearlfish-i hear that crap all the time. It gets really old. My sis in law decided to get on me about getting pregnant because she was... uhhhh no. Don't know if I want them and certainly am not having one because you are thank you

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-06-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #16169 
bethyMT

What blows my mind is that people don't realize how much WORK it is to raise children. Yes, you can be disengaged and lazy and let your kids have whatever and spoil them. But to really parent is kinda exhausting. It's a difficult job, at least IMO. This is no walk in paradise, and yes, it does give your life another layer of meaning, but it's not everything.

Since I had my two girls my life is more complicated and frankly, stressful than it had ever been prior. I have to know exactly what they're doing all the time. They need to learn stuff, they need meaningful interactions, they need experiences. They need parents to listen, and discipline, and talk, and help them figure stuff out. And all the while, the parent has to balance his or her own life while simultaneously being there for the child all.the.time. It's hard.

If you don't want kids, I don't blame you. No way. Everybody finds meaning in a number of places. Doing anything because you "should" just sets you up for failure and a lifetime of unhappiness.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #16170 
ThePearlFish

I don't care exactly if others have kids if they want, but they should respect that and not push their views on me. I have reasons why I do not want, and IMO should not, have kids.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou