Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #16491 
Hadoken Kitty

No, but it was YELLOW. I didn't get a chance to. I opened the bag and a lot of it spilled, so I just wanted to get him in a tank quick. >.<
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #16492 
Bombalurina

A girl I know from work who is about 13 is causing me a bit of animal-related heartache. I told her when she bought her first goldfish that her tank was too small. I bought her a filter, which she only turns on once a week, and water conditioner, which she doesn't use at all. She only feeds them when she remembers. After the predictable death of two of her fish, she bought another three, despite knowing that the tank was two small for even one (it's about 2.5 gallons).

When they go away, they lock the cat in the garage with a bowl of food and some water. They go away for several days, so the cat has to ration itself, and they have no cooling, so their garage could easily be as hot as 35+ degrees celcius at this time of year.

She had a guinea pig, which recently died. It wasn't neglected but it wasn't well treated either. Her mother has bought her another one, and now they are thinking of also getting a male and breeding.

These are the people who won't buy meds for their cat because they are too expensive. This means that they are not going to be able to afford to neuter a guinea pig after she has had her first litter, so they will have more and more and more and the female will always be pregnant and they won't be able to rehome the babies.

It doesn't matter what I say to this girl. I think she cares, but she lets her selfish desire to have the animals she wants override it every time.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #16493 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
No, but it was YELLOW.
The yellow just means that the seller put IAL (Indian almond leaf) in the water to make the move less stressful. IAL turns water yellow.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #16494 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
The yellow just means that the seller put IAL (Indian almond leaf) in the water to make the move less stressful. IAL turns water yellow.
Yea...I know this now. :(
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #16495 
LittleBettaFish

When you say your fish arrived sick, is it a visible injury or disease (such as ich)? Or is it just clamped and inactive?

Shipping is incredibely stressful on fish, so it is not uncommon to have a fish go sit somewhere on the bottom of the tank breathing hard and showing very dull colours.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #16496 
Hadoken Kitty

He would stop moving and stop breathing all together. He did it in his bag, too.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #16497 
GoodMorning

He could be stressed and in shock from all the moving. Keep him warm and give him a full day's rest, maybe more.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #16498 
Shirleythebetta

Survived the baby shower thanks to my mom being there and being able to hide and take pictures from a convenient corner.

Anti rant! I got a rat today. He was a feeder rat so I have no idea what breed nor do I care. I am so glad to have a rat again and now plans are in motion to buy him a rat condo with my tax return! YAY. He is light blond with a white line on his forhead and dark red eyes. He is so sweet. Not sure how old he is though. Looks like he was just weened. I will post pics somewhere soon once he relaxes a bit.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #16499 
Bombalurina

Make sure you get him a buddy. :) Can't wait for pics! There aren't different breeds of domestic rat: all of them are rattus norvegicus.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #16500 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Make sure you get him a buddy. :) Can't wait for pics! There aren't different breeds of domestic rat: all of them are rattus norvegicus.
I always thought of them as different. Are names like fancy rat just cutsey names?
I am aiming to get him a friend after tax refund comes and I get him a larger cage with lots of levels and toys. Sigh*I couldn't leave him behind and risk him being devoured by a snake. He is too pretty. I had this one pair before my ex husband turned into a jerk. My twins, they went to a good home with a lovely family because I was supposed to move to Germany. Grrr, I miss my boys but at least I can start over with Jack and his future bud. It's going to feel good to have a pair back. I have missed it so much.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou