Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #16871 
FishyFishy89

Kitty, unless your a graduate with a doctorate degree....you shouldn't be all "I'm right you're wrong."
Even then, I've met CHILDREN with more respect.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #16872 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by koincidenskis View Post
More of a dramatic case, but yes that does happen when you are in a manic state (people claim they are Jesus or other famous characters). I live with someone who has Bi-polar and I have seen mania hit first hand. Plus I have read countless books on it.

Most of the time you will feel elated, can't sleep, and just feel like doing everything.

People think bipolar is when you are happy one moment, then sad the next, then happy, then angry. Which is totally not the case as I have become educated in what this mental illness truly is. It can take weeks to set in and as I described above it you will go through mania, then you will come down, and probably go into depression, then normalcy.
I agree, I never experienced a manic episode. I never said I have it. I never even been diagnosed with anything. My girlfriend does know what bipolar is, her brother is bipolar and he goes through cycles of mania and major depression. What you described is textbook bipolar i disorder, which in severe cases can result in psychosis, hallucinations, and delusions. However, I do believe that there are varying degrees of severity and crossovers. For an instance, people with bipolar ii do not have full manic episodes, though they can have periods of hypomania--increased impulsiveness, productivity, and good moods. Instead, they alternate between bouts of major depression and normal moods. Because their hypomanic episodes don't always affect their ability to function and may even be regarded as them being happy, they often go undiagnosed.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 03-10-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #16873 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Kitty, unless your a graduate with a doctorate degree....you shouldn't be all "I'm right you're wrong."
Even then, I've met CHILDREN with more respect.
You don't have to be a graduate with a doctorate degree...you learn that in your first psych class in college. I wasn't trying to be rude. I said that many times and even apologized during it if I was coming across as rude. I was more so trying to educate than anything.

Besides, I have been in a mental institution myself, when I was younger, and have seen both extreme and "socially tolerable" sides of the mental illness spectrum. I have read about cases using the international database of science literature and even then you don't read about cases of bipolar patients believing that they are Jesus.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #16874 
FishyFishy89

Regardless of wither or not you apologized, t's still VERY rude(and immature) to act the way you did. For all you know, you could of seriously offended the poster.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #16875 
Hadoken Kitty

Look, I am sorry if I offended them. I really am. I can't help but be annoyed, though, that people are okay with misinformation being tossed around, whatever it may be about. If this were about fish, everyone would be throwing a hissy at the poster.

Even though I am wrong about the way that I went about it (I don't have enough pride to not admit that), I still stand by that I can't stand misinformation being thrown around. Re-reading it, yea, I made an *** of myself by saying it that way, and I probably should've re-written it. It's a little late now, though.

I have a right to say I am right. You have a right to say I am immature for me saying that I am right. Let the poster speak for themselves, though.

Last edited by Hadoken Kitty; 03-10-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #16876 
Bombalurina

I don't know enough about the issue to comment on who is right and wrong, but I don't think HadokenKitty was at all rude or disrespectful.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #16877 
RoMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't know enough about the issue to comment on who is right and wrong, but I don't think HadokenKitty was at all rude or disrespectful.
I agree with you... AAHAHA just had a smart arse taxi driver. He miss said Silent and he looked at me and said "they should change the name to shut up harbor"
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #16878 
Romad
TFK Moderator

It's an interesting and complex topic but please keep it civil folks. Thanks.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #16879 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
It's money that my dad EARNED serving his country!
He earned the entitlement, for himself and his dependents. The money was used by receipients already on social security as it went in from your dad's paycheck.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #16880 
SnowySurface

Man...why do I have to be late by a day? XD I agree and disagree with Kitty and Fishy.

It's not common, but I do believe there are times when someone without a degree is right and someone with a degree is wrong. Mainly due to the fact that there some things that can be learned in the field that cannot be learned through a text book. There are also times when having a degree does not make you right because it's narrow (i.e. my masters in chemistry does not make me an art history buff). So, I do agree that it is rare when someone can say, "I'm right and you're wrong," but I disagree that a doctorate degree can make someone right. That negates life experience too much for my taste.

Being "right" is a much more complex issue than most people will admit. I mean, back in the day you were "Right" if you believed the sun orbited around the Earth or that the Earth was the center of the universe. I rarely say I'm right because so many "Facts" in the sciences have either changed or been disproven that I don't assume my text book will be accurate 100 years from now. So, I rarely quote text books since text books need correcting repeatedly as new information is discovered. But I still went the acedemic route for both my BA and MA in chemistry because I do still see value in a text book education. I don't assume that my text book is written in stone.

Yeah...those two paragraghs make me seem anti-education don't they?

So, on the one hand I can see Fishy's point of view because I do not have a master's in ichnology and therefore I cannot claim to be a master of betta fish even after caring for them for the past 9 1/2 years. To this day, even with nearly a decade of experience, I cannot save a sick fish. I just fail at fixing anything worse than fin rot and stress stripes (does that even count? ). So, I know I don't have the education to diagnosis something as severe as velvet or Ich. But on the other hand, I can see Kitty's point of view because I may not be an expert on fish, but I do know a bit more about water chemistry than the average member and picked up some tricks after nearly a decade of hands on experience. If someone does have a fish with fin rot due to dirty water, I can walk you through making your fresh water improve from Oh-dear-God-why- to I-could-almost-drink-this- with my eyes closed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I to keep my "I'm right" moments to hard facts. Like, "I'm right, you can't have a betta fish in water with ammonia levels of 2.5." That's a fact that is correct no matter how much someone whats to defend a 1 gallon set up that only has it's water changed once a month. When the fact is less solid, like water changing schedules, I don't go so far as to say "I'm right, do 2 50% and 1 100% water changes a week" because there are plenty of members who do 1 50% and 1 100% a week and get the same results.
In my opinion, I think depression diagnosis can go under the "less solid" fact section since there are a lot of variablies like severity, frequency, how well the person is treating the depression, ect.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou