Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #17261 
Shirleythebetta

I'm in my BA now and I still am messing up APA formatting. It's irritating. I got a B on a paper I should have gotten an A on. Only reason I got the B was because I don't get the formatting. The professor told me that. That is annoying.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #17262 
SnowySurface

I've never understood why APA formating matters so much to so many people. I brought a book on formating when I was in a class that wanted 5 page papers every week and a 20 page final. I liked 3 formatings much more than APA. It's not like that's the only way to write.

The book is at home so I won't be able to qoute the name of it here, but I can't write in APA without re-reading the APA format section. T~T
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #17263 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Yes but the receipt comment was meant for the sister, who now has the BC, and may have acquired it from the mother or from BVS, in which case I would ask for a receipt or evidence that she acquired. So...
Ok, all joking aside I've always seen the birth certificate as belonging to the person who was born. While it is not a picture ID, it can be used in cases when multiple pieces of ID are needed. I personally use my drivers license and passport when I need 2 pieces of ID. But if I ever needed 3 pieces of ID my birth certificate is the only other piece of ID I have besides my social security card. The mother may have paid for it and the sister may be holding it, but it is the husband's ID.

I do not know much about the law on birth certificates, but common sense would declare the person who can use the birth certificate as ID the owner. Yes, the mother pay have paid for it and even gotten a literally receipt to prove she paid for it. But she paid for it for her son because 10 minute year olds don't have wads of cash. Even if the mother or sister had a reciept, that doesn't change the fact that the birth certificate belongs to the husband because it's proof of his birth and his non-picture ID. It just shows who paid for the birth certificate at a time when the husband was too young to do more than cry, poop, and suckle.

To my knowledge, my grandfather could not take my drivers permit and call it his own just because he paid for it when I was 16. I also doubt that my mom can take my driver's license and call it her own because she paid for the drivering school and driving test. I don't see why a birth certificate would belong to the person with the reciept instead of the person it identifies.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #17264 
amzingaly

My university bookstore is such a rip off! I sold my textbook back to them for $3 and I payed $60 for it. Urgg always a ripoff
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #17265 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Ok, all joking aside I've always seen the birth certificate as belonging to the person who was born. While it is not a picture ID, it can be used in cases when multiple pieces of ID are needed. I personally use my drivers license and passport when I need 2 pieces of ID. But if I ever needed 3 pieces of ID my birth certificate is the only other piece of ID I have besides my social security card. The mother may have paid for it and the sister may be holding it, but it is the husband's ID.

I do not know much about the law on birth certificates, but common sense would declare the person who can use the birth certificate as ID the owner. Yes, the mother pay have paid for it and even gotten a literally receipt to prove she paid for it. But she paid for it for her son because 10 minute year olds don't have wads of cash. Even if the mother or sister had a reciept, that doesn't change the fact that the birth certificate belongs to the husband because it's proof of his birth and his non-picture ID. It just shows who paid for the birth certificate at a time when the husband was too young to do more than cry, poop, and suckle.

To my knowledge, my grandfather could not take my drivers permit and call it his own just because he paid for it when I was 16. I also doubt that my mom can take my driver's license and call it her own because she paid for the drivering school and driving test. I don't see why a birth certificate would belong to the person with the reciept instead of the person it identifies.

Didn't read the post you responded to, but to clear at least something partially up.... all government issued IDs (including birth certificates) belong to the state, not to the person listed on the ID, nor to the person it was issued to. You can try to force the person to give it back to the person refered to in the documents by taking legal measures, but it's only an easy thing to do if you can prove that they are misusing the documents or have intention to do so (eg; the person has a history of identity theft, or used your birth certificate to take out a credit card in your name). Also, if it is a mother and the birth certificate was issued TO her (basically, when you were born) it's not so easy to just demand it back, because basically the government "gave" it to her. If, like your example of a driver's permit, it was issued to you... then you can demand it because she/he/whoever never had legal possession of the ID.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #17266 
Bombalurina

Something has bitten me on the back of my wrist and it HURTS. Blast this country with its many poisonous creatures.

Despite multiple blood tests, the doctor still has no idea what's wrong with me. It feels like glandular fever again, but my liver is fine, I don't have jaundice and it's not in my bloodwork. But I also not it isn't Ross River Fever or a bundle of other things I've been tested for. :(

I sent an email to my boss for my retail job today, tendering my resignation (which technically I didn't have to do anyway because I'm just a casual), and I'm kind of dreading his response.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #17267 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I've never understood why APA formating matters so much to so many people. I brought a book on formating when I was in a class that wanted 5 page papers every week and a 20 page final. I liked 3 formatings much more than APA. It's not like that's the only way to write.

The book is at home so I won't be able to qoute the name of it here, but I can't write in APA without re-reading the APA format section. T~T
I don't understand why it is so important either. I think it's ridiculous all the different ways you have to properly cite different sources. What irritates me the most is it knocked me down an entire grade because I didn't cite an online journal properly and I spelled the authors entire name instead of writing just his initial.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #17268 
Freyja
Banned

I got lucky. As a lit major I was required to format in MLA style, which is infinitely easier to do.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #17269 
JadeAngel

How do you even cope with this!?
I wanted 2 children my whole life, decided on 2 with my husband (he claimed he wanted 2) long before we got married. We've been married for 8 years, and we have a 3 year old girl. We'd talked about having 2 for the first few years, and then decided it was time to have our first just when we got a sudden surprise and got her a year early. Then he talked about having a 2nd right after she was born. You know, all at once, get the diaper stage over?

Then he said we better wait, and he kept doing this to me for years. Saying he thought maybe we'd have one and then saying better wait. His main excuse was our economical situation. Well, now he has a good job, but it's not good enough, now it's "what if I suddenly lose the job?" he's waiting for the "right moment" with every excuse in hand, and the right moment will never come because his excuses aren't things that will change. They're "what ifs" Then sometimes he says he's not sure if he wants a 2nd and he's happy with just 1. And then he tries to turn it on me and make me feel like I'm unappreciative of our daughter.

Yesterday we talked about it and I told him why I thought it would be a good time now, and we had a nice calm discussion. He said he'd need to think about it. I told him fine, take months if you want. No, he comes to me an hour or so ago to tell me I thought about it... and... no. I don't want one right now. How can you do that to someone!!!!!! How can you lead a woman on for years about another child? Then how can you make up your mind in only a few hours worse yet, he said he's still not sure. Then why tell me no!? Why bring up my hope and then crush it, again and again and again! I feel like he broke my heart. I told him I don't want to talk about it until he actually makes a decision because I'm tired of the up and down mind changing. It's not fair.

Yeah, and I walked off without talking more to him because I didn't want him to see me cry, as he'd say I'm trying to make him feel bad for me. So I got in the car and left and just pulled over and cried by myself on the side of a desolate road. So I don't say anything to him because its not worth fighting over, and fighting won't help it anyway. Then he gets annoyed at me for not talking.

It just hurts a lot. And it's really just not fair, because we had discussed this extensively for years.

Worse yet, I can't even talk to the one person I normally would, my best friend. She is married but doesn't have kids or want them. She'd just side with him "why have a 2nd kid? they just get in the way! I don't even want ANY" so I feel alone on top of it. I'm so angry, and so sad at the same time. I just can't stop crying and I don't even have someone to talk to it about
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #17270 
LittleBettaFish

What a horrible situation for you JadeAngel. Unfortunately, people change as they go through life and choices and decisions made years ago may no longer be what they want now. Perhaps you could go through a third party like a marriage/family counsellor and see if you can't talk more about it there, rather than just between the two of you.

Now here is my inconsequential rant. Why will my blog/site not look the way I want it to? I want to re-do the whole thing and it is just not working out. Ugh, I hate anything design/coding related. I can never get it to look how I want it to.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou