Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #17681 
AAquarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I don't get it. How can someone treat his bettas like royalty with a planted 30 gallon but yet find it okay to shove THREE large to medium sized fantail goldfish into a 10 gallon with barely any decor?
To be honest I think most people see Goldfish as even more disposable than Bettas because they frequently see them being sold as feeder fish and at carnivals and in bowls.
AAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #17682 
JustinieBeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAquarist View Post
To be honest I think most people see Goldfish as even more disposable than Bettas because they frequently see them being sold as feeder fish and at carnivals and in bowls.
Totally. To many, fish, especially certain types like goldfish are disposable, easily replaced when killed off by ignorance and carelessness. I still can't believe how many people think fish cant feel pain, or have a three second memory, despite all the scientific eveidence to the contrary, so maybe the fact many think of them as unfeeling and stupid plays a part? So many times its like if someone gets a fish and it dies due to their lack of knowledge and/or concern it's like "Oh my fish just died! I didn't care for it properly, but before I stop to reevaluate my competency regarding this animal's care, let me replace it and put it in the same conditions that caused my other fish's untimely demise!"

I've known a few people in my life who've gone through multiple fish that they killed off with their ignorance, thankfully for the fish they all eventually gave up. (Betta in a tinyunheated bowl? Two goldfish in a one gallon? A whole tank of dead fish due to ignorance of nitrogen cycle?check, check, and check!) The thing that frustrated me the most was that these were people I knew were smart in other areas of life, but when it came to their own pet fish none of them thought afterwards "what did I do wrong this time that I can do differently the next time?" You'd think after some of these people lose a fish or two or ten they'd think "Maybe I'm doing something wrong here" but I guess not.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #17683 
PetMania

I am going to attempt a sorority again. It's going well, but the last time it didn't. I have 4 girls in there right now, and I think I might add 4 more, cause it's a 10gal.
PetMania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #17684 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAquarist View Post
Absolutely. But this person obviously knows how to correctly care for fish. Fully planting the tank, doing regular water changes, providing a variety of food, stocking correctly and so on and so forth. WHY would this person feel like it is okay to care another for type of fish incorrectly?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #17685 
Aquatail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Absolutely. But this person obviously knows how to correctly care for fish. Fully planting the tank, doing regular water changes, providing a variety of food, stocking correctly and so on and so forth. WHY would this person feel like it is okay to care another for type of fish incorrectly?
Do they know it's incorrect for that specific type of fish? When I was young and got those little goldfish from the store, as much as it shames me to admit, it didn't occur to me that the way the pet store cared for them wasn't the way I should. Unfortunately, I was na´ve and didn't learn until later that the pet store was not the best place to learn to care for my new pet. :(

Last edited by Aquatail; 12-23-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #17686 
Elsewhere

Rant: I need this driftwood to sink already! It's been soaked and boiled and soaked for three months, yet it keeps floating! I've tied it to a rock, I've sat it under a rock- still floating! Any kind of advice, or should I just give up on it?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #17687 
PetMania

Wow, three months?

I don't have driftwood, so I don't know what to say :/
PetMania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #17688 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatail View Post
Do they know it's incorrect for that specific type of fish? When I was young and got those little goldfish from the store, as much as it shames me to admit, it didn't occur to me that the way the pet store cared for them wasn't the way I should. Unfortunately, I was na´ve and didn't learn until later that the pet store was not the best place to learn to care for my new pet. :(
I'm fairly certain they know it is incorrect. They know about the nitrogen cycle and how to correctly stock fish tanks. They've given correct advice for a variety of fish.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #17689 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Rant: I need this driftwood to sink already! It's been soaked and boiled and soaked for three months, yet it keeps floating! I've tied it to a rock, I've sat it under a rock- still floating! Any kind of advice, or should I just give up on it?
Slightly bury it. I have a stick that still won't sink.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #17690 
LittleBettaFish

I was flicking through the latest magazine we purchased and in an article about some interior designer/renovated house, there was a big bowl with several comet looking goldfish in it that was right on the coffee table.

I wish people would understand that in terms of inappropriate housing, that is the equivalent of housing a group of puppies in a solid walled crate where they get to crap and pee on each other the whole time.

However, the latter would probably be a lot less 'artistic'.

You could also drill some slate to the bottom of the wood and then bury the slate. I have seen other people do this.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou