Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #17821 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
My mom has type 2 diabetes, neuropathy, atrial fibrillation, 60% blockage in her heart and a twisted colon and sleep apnea.
My dad knew he was very unhealthy and didn't go see someone until he had his stroke last year. It scared us because we had to have a talk about what would happen if my dad died.
When my mom took him to the hospital, he had a stroke, blood sugar at 399, high blood pressure, high cholestreol, and something else that I don't remember. My dad's side of the family has a history of heart problems and cancer. I could very well contract one of those.
My mom has to be tested for sleep apnea, thyroid, cancer, diabetes (she is overweight), and colon issues as well. Recently she got a fissure in her colon, had to have surgery for kidney and bladder stones, had her golbladder removed, and another surgery for something else that was really serious.
My dad died in England, but was resurrected moments later. He had a blood cot and died at the airport, and I was only 10 weeks old.

Overall, my parents have had a variety of health issues. It's really hard being the only healthy one in the family (my sister had to see a nutritionist and tested for diabetes), as I can keep at a low weight whilst my family struggles to lose weight. I get these looks when we go places, like "Why is she with them?" and comments and such. I even gained weight in my dark times, but lost it in a few months.

I am trying to occupy myself, like trying out hip hop, but I can't because my family can't afford much, so I am in a tough spot.

I fear that my dad will die soon if he doesn't do something about his weight. If he dies, my family is screwed because we won't have anything to fall back on...
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #17822 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mom is on a bloodthinner to keep her from having a stroke. She has atrial fibrillation.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #17823 
PetMania

Hmm, I know a few people on blood thinner. On my dad's side of the family. *again, the heart issues*
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 AM   #17824 
Sakura8

My mom is on coumadin/warfarin. She has a home test kit though, so she doesn't have to go into the lab for blood tests. Her veins were on the verge of collapse.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #17825 
Kali

Hugs to everyone who's family is/has having health issues, people often don't realise the strain and stress that it can put on loved ones, even if you aren't a direct carer.

As to my rant, whoever first came up with the bizarre idea that the customer is always right needs to be beaten with a cash register. Customers are NOT always right, In fact sometimes they are very very wrong. They do however BELIEVE they are right and will continue to argue they are right no matter how many convincing arguments/managers/alternative solutions you present.

Also.
In Australia we are lucky enough to enjoy universal healthcare. For certain medications (the list is quite extensive) the government will cap the cost at $36 and pay the rest themselves. This means insulin costing $400 will only cost a customer $36. And that's not just for disadvantaged families or those on welfare, that's every Australian citizen. For some, including those on welfare, single parents, students and the elderly, the cost is only $6!!! For that $400 medication.

However, this copayment contribution (the price the patient pays) generally goes up by 10-20 cents every new year. The government does it, not us, and we cant control it. Yet try explaining this to all the people who've decided I'm ripping them off and taking advantage of them!!!
Btw these are the same people with a new pack of smokes in their bag (which now cost more than $20) telling me they can't afford their child's medicine because the price went up 10 cents!

I try so hard not to be judgemental, I work in a pharmacy in quite a poor/disadvantaged area, and I'm a student so I understand what it is to struggle financially, but seriously people!!!

And don't get me started about the people who rant and rave because travel vaccinations aren't covered by this scheme. I'm sorry, the scheme is to help people deal with illnesses and not be crippled by medical fees. If you can afford a mid year holiday in Thailand you can afford the $50 typhoid vaccine, don't expect the government to pay for your holiday!
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #17826 
Kali

Whew. I feel better now, thanks guys :D
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #17827 
PetMania

:)

My dad had really good insurance so that the $600 a month for medication became less than $100.

Rant: Little sister being mean to me even on my birthday, calling me a party-pooper, lazy, fat, stupid....the list goes on. Anyways, it's hard being a big sister. For anyone that is a little sister or brother, just know that you aren't having as hard of a time as us. Yeah, your parents may tell you to be like your older sibling(s), but we usually get the smack when it comes to getting into trouble. I am blamed for everything my sister does, and it hurts. Most of the time my parents pamper my little sis whilst grounding me for yelling at her because she slapped me....

D: Sometimes I wish I wasn't one of only 2 kids. I wish I had another sibling to give my sister someone to put her attention on. Yet, then she will think that she is all mighty and powerful because she is a big sis. URGH! She reminds me a LOT of my aunt. Kinda runs in the family through at least one child, and that's her.

Phew. I got that off my chest and now I can breathe.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #17828 
FishyFishy89

I don't get it....you strive to keep the community friendly, yet when someone isn't caring for a guinea pig correctly and they state "you're stressing me out" or "please stop being mean" everyone just shuts up and leaves the conversation. Sure, lets just stop here and not bother to tell the person WHY it is incorrect, inhumane and likely neglectful to care for their guinea pig in the way they are.

The last time I was active on that forum, it was very clean and it was very clear that we wouldn't tolerate users who refuse to care for their guinea pig(s) in the ways that has been proven to create more healthy and happy guinea pigs. Most times if they continued to incorrectly care for them, they were banned. They were NOT tolerated. The forum was supposed to be the setting example for other guinea pig forums. And now it's turning into a money making forum. They don't care. They just want more traffic on their site to get more money.

It just really bothers me how a forum went from being all about educating the public on caring for guinea pigs to about traffic to their site.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #17829 
Sakura8

Fishy, all I can tells ya are forums are a mysterious place.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #17830 
thekinetic

It's not even 9 and already my day sucks! First I wake up with a panic attack and then burn my hand cooking breakfast. It's going to be one of those days! >.<*
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou