Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #19481 
carnationcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Hey CC. Let me give you some tips on growing plants...
1. Flourish is an amazing and concentrated liquid fert. I have a 20 gal and use about half a cap full once to twice a week. It works for anything that's not a root feeder and it lasts a long time.
2. Get the right kind of light. This is one thing to splurge on because it makes the tank look great and gives everything proper light to grow.
3. Buy a light timer. These will only set you back a couple bucks at walmart. They are sold where the outlets and outlet splitters are. It's well worth the money because you don't have to keep up with a lighting schedule, everything gets the right amount of light, the fish learn the lighting schedule and their eyes start adjusting before the change thus redusing stress, and the plants and lighting schedule help choke out algae growth.
4. Don't be afraid of fast growing plants. You just have to trim it every once in a while. The benifit of it is redusing resources for things like algae while slow growing plants can actually have algae growing on them! Plus, if it's something that grows tall (like water whisteria), it will eventually reach the top of the water and form a bed of woven vines and leaves. My bettas love to sleep in them.
5. Sand over gravel all the way. Easier to clean, better for corys, and no worries about disturbing plant roots. I get a kick out of my loaches digging in it and they keep the tank interesting after the lights go out (the lamp in out livingroom doesn't bother them). Plus they keep the sand loose and airreated which helps the roots of my plants. I have about 2 inches of Caribsea Supernaturals Sand. I forget the color, but it's beautiful, not course (like pfs), and not like muddy (like playsand).
6. Quarentene new plants just like you would a new fish. Not only might they have a disease, but they could have snail eggs on them. A week or two should be okay.
7. Enough plants in a tank basically cycle it for you and protect against crashes because they basically absorbe the amonia. You still need to keep up with your pwc, but it makes it all a little easier. Add Prime water conditioner too your toolbox and you shouldn't have to worry about tank spikes at all (unless you quit doing water changes or get some bad water.

Hope that helps ;)

And don't worry about his flaring. Some bettas are like that. Once there is some more coverage to break up his view and more hiding spots, he should calm down. Some bettas enjoy the company and get depressed alone while others prefer being alone or having space. I know in my tank I have 2 girls that you can't hardly ever get a picture of one without the other, one shy loner, and one who is very energetic but very picky about her food. They are very unique creatures which is why we have an entire forum dedicated to them which is as popular as it is. You see forums out there for classes and suspecies that get traffic, but ones started for single fish or invert species are mostly dead traffic wise. Bettas are individules, each as unique as the stars in the sky. It's why we love them so much and seem odd to other people who have never owned one and enjoyed them. They're like little bitty puppies with fins. ^_^
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you so much! Yeah. It's getting a bit better, methinks. George is still pretty mopey. But he's getting better.
carnationcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #19482 
InStitches

Two vet visits in one week. My budget cannot take it :(

I'm almost entirely sure my hedgehog has pelvic cancer but we have to go back to make sure her UTI healed up properly. Her back legs hardly work at all now :(

My kitten has chronic allergies and what I thought is ringworm is really just him chewing all his fur off. Awesome. I need to find out what he is allergic too because I feel bad about the idea of shooting him up with steroids every other month.
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #19483 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InStitches View Post
Two vet visits in one week. My budget cannot take it :(

I'm almost entirely sure my hedgehog has pelvic cancer but we have to go back to make sure her UTI healed up properly. Her back legs hardly work at all now :(

My kitten has chronic allergies and what I thought is ringworm is really just him chewing all his fur off. Awesome. I need to find out what he is allergic too because I feel bad about the idea of shooting him up with steroids every other month.
Check the ingredients of your kitten's food, that's the most likely culprit for hot spots like that. If he's eating dry food, you might want to try transitioning him to high-protein wet food, if he'll eat it. Since cats are pure carnivores, the non-meat ingredients often give them trouble. One of ours appears to be sensitive to carbs.

One of the other ones is allergic to perfumes found in kitty litter. Since perfumed kitty litter just smells like perfume over poop, doesn't bother me to buy unscented...
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #19484 
LittleBettaFish

Well I think one of our dogs ate this fizzing/chewy lolly I had in the cupboard. Our pantry hinges are gone and it doesn't shut properly, but almost all of the time the dogs just leave it.

I came down to find the packet the lollies were in on the floor, and there was one missing. They are individually wrapped in plastic, and about 15cm in size, and yet there is no trace of it anywhere.

I just don't get how one of the dogs could have eaten it and there was no trace of wrapper or sticky lolly in their teeth.

I'm still hoping it is lost and not eaten, but it's so infuriating! They could have at least eaten the doughnuts that were in there because I know they will pass through.

Mum is going to murder me if she has to pay for another surgery on one of our animals.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #19485 
Bluewind

Close long distance friends having problems and being to far away to go help :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #19486 
InStitches

I think it's his food... I recently changed to a new kibble for the sake of convenience (I purchase 4 or 5 star kibble as a rule, and most wet foods have lower protein than the kibbles I buy). I'm going to switch him back to the brand I was using previously. I that doesn't help I might try a raw diet.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #19487 
InStitches

you know, I think the new one has some grains where the old one does not. That's probably the issue.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #19488 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InStitches View Post
you know, I think the new one has some grains where the old one does not. That's probably the issue.
Seems likely. Let us know how it turns out :)
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #19489 
LittleBettaFish

Acne when I am 24 years old.

I never used to have bad skin when I was younger. But lately it has been driving me crazy.

I get these clusters of huge, pus filled whiteheads that are very painful and take weeks to heal.

I'm not sure if I am allergic to something (a lot of online sources suggest diary might be one cause) or it's hormonal, but it is so depressing to have these lumps everywhere and then scars left behind when they finally heal.

Unfortunately, I really can't afford to go to the doctor and then have the possibility of repeated trips to the dermatologist.

I have read that hemp seed oil is supposed to be good, and I am going to cut down on the amount of dairy and see if that does anything. Otherwise I know going on the pill may also help.

It's just so frustrating, and I don't want to get stuck in some vicious cycle where I am slathering on make-up when I go out to hide my acne and then just making it worse.

I'm never going to be particularly attractive, but it would be nice to have clear skin.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #19490 
Bluewind

Sucks to be a girl huh?

If you can avoid bc, please do. It's a hormonal nightmare. It makes us emotional rollercosters. Plus, a lot of women get nasty headaches out of it (myself included).

Here are a few tips I've learned over the years...

Clean sheets and pillow are actually important. The oil really builds up on them and can cause breakouts. Change sheets once a week to help. And make sure you're using the right kind of detergent (something unscented and gentle is prefered) and not a lot of softener. I use free and clear softener sheets, but go with whatever you like best.

What about your hair? If it's oily, hangs in your face, or isn't washed with the right shampoo for your hair, it can actually cause breakouts.

What about washing? Makeup is full of germs by the end of the day, so clean your face well and use a light mosturizer (I use half a pump of Nutragena) to replace the mosture your makeup has sucked out of your skin. Wash your face with white Dove bar soap and rinse well every night rather you wore makeup or not. Try using washcloths that were washed with little to no fabric softener as the rough texture is better for cleaning your face and body.

Diet and stress can cause breakouts. Try charting to find your triggers. Being overweight generally affects us girls too because we store several things inside fat cells including estrogen which effects mood, fertility, and skin (amoung other things). Remember that being underweight effects mood and fertility too, so if you're within 20lb of the correct weight (measured by a professional, not the generic doctor chart) you're fine.

This may sound like my oddest sugestion out of the lot, but a little natural sunlight and exercise can help. Sweating can help flush oils out of pores (it helped me anyway) as long as you clean up after. Sunlight has psycological and vitamin benifits as long as you don't over do it. 30 minutes a day is the recomended minimum although as little as 15 minutes can help your body get in better balance. At the very least, it will help naturally reduse stress.

Hope that helped :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou