Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #5811 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
Yeah, most of my posts are from chatting. I don't give advice nearly as often as I chat. Mostly because I only know basic stuff, and by the time I see things I can answer, someone already has. I hate it when people ask about things that could be easily searched for, though. Zekie got SBD A LOT and I never once made a thread about it. Why? I got the salt dosage from another thread, and I did it. There was no question about how to do it, so I didn't waste everyone's time by making a thread about something I already knew how to do.
Which I wish more people would do. I understand that some people like direct replies but at least they could search information prior then come asking questions for clarification.

For instance in the breeding section there are a lot of questions on feeding. Perhaps we'd have less of those threads if people read the feeding sticky beforehand and then made a thread if they still had questions instead of not doing any searches and posting "So what should I feed my fry?" type thread.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #5812 
Neil D

Well I see nothing wrong with posting a new thread, because everyone's case is different. Even marginally. Especially for a first timer. It can down right scary.

What 1fish said also seems to work, but a forum is for asking questions. But read the stickies.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #5813 
1fish2fish

IMO one of the biggest reasons that long time members run away or take long breaks from the forum is they just get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. Yes everyone's case is different but after you answer the question "How do I treat fin rot?" a couple million times it get's tiring.

Instead I would advise a person to do the research before hand then come and say "My fish has fin rot, I'm doing A, B, and C but I would also like to know what caused it and what I can change to prevent it"... that would be a more interesting thread then "how do I treat fin rot".
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #5814 
Neil D

That's a long title? Most of the posts do ask that after the treatment has been administered. Prioritizing you know?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #5815 
1fish2fish

Didn't say it had to be the title.. just the general theme of the thread.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #5816 
fightergirl2710

I have to agree with 1fish, I get people asking me the same things about fish IRL, I feel like making a pamphlet and giving it to them X(
I learned a lot about bettas and their care from just researching, I joined here much later :) Of course getting personalised answers is awesome but how different can fish A's fin rot be different from B's?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #5817 
TheCrysCat

I could understand if it was someone who was worried and needed support, someone to tell them that they're doing all right, etc. but all of the threads I've seen have been more to the effect of "Oh hey, I either forgot how to do this or I never learned how to do this," "this" being some common disease. It takes less time to simply search it than to wait to get a reply.

I agree with Fightergirl, too. Sure, every case may be a little different, but most are going to be so close it's a moot point.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #5818 
Neil D

Why isn't there sticky for simple diseases? Just wondering...

Yes the theme, but the initial question is treatment. And personally it feels better to have recent answers, like actually talking to someone, than a recorded message. Does that make any senSe?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #5819 
TheCrysCat

There actually are two stickies. I don't blame you for not seeing them; I didn't know they existed until the other day xD

And I don't know why someone would feel that way unless their case was different somehow, in which case I wouldn't begrudge them making a thread. Or, like 1fish said "so-and-so has SBD, I'm treating him with epsom salt, do I also need to _____?" If you have a question you can't find an answer to, go ahead and make a thread. It just irritates me to see threads about really common diseases that take five seconds to look up.

Last edited by TheCrysCat; 07-20-2011 at 12:49 PM.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #5820 
Neil D

It's a security thing. Would you rather listen to a recording or actually talk to someone about a serious issue? I'm not saying to not search, but don't hesitate to ask.