Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #5821 
dramaqueen
Banned

What I don't like is when a person joins, posts something like Urgent! I think my fish is dying! Help! , 3 or 4 people answer and they never come back. If it's so urgent then why not come back to see if you have answers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #5822 
TheCrysCat

Then, by your logic, all books are worthless. And if one of my friends was sick, I'd much rather listen to a recording of someone that knows what they're talking about than go out on the street and ask random people. If you need support, make a thread. If you need help, make a thread. But if you just forgot how to do something and could look it up in five seconds, just look it up :P
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #5823 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
It's a security thing. Would you rather listen to a recording or actually talk to someone about a serious issue? I'm not saying to not search, but don't hesitate to ask.
I don't think there is anything wrong with researching AND asking. If people could find every answer to stuff on the internet then why have forums?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #5824 
TheCrysCat

I'm only talking about really simple things, like finrot and SBD :P I can understand making a thread about something more complicated and unpredictable, like popeye, but... there are a million threads about sbd and finrot, so couldn't you just take dosing instructions from one of those? That's what I did, because there was really nothing else I had to ask, and I would've felt stupid posting a thread saying "hey, my fish has SBD. I don't have any questions or anything, but I just felt like telling you guys and distracting you from people who honestly can't find information and need help."
Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #5825 
Neil D

That's what was trying to say DQ! Yes books are worthless. Lol Jk, but books are great for initial researching, isn't there ever a time where you could just ask a person about anything?

EDIT: sometimes with (for example) SBD, someone can mistake SBD or whatever for something more serious, or vice versa.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #5826 
fightergirl2710

Sometimes you do need to ask.. Books can have complicated language sometimes and not every one can understand what is being explained, if you ask someone, they can always simplify it and explain it till you get it :).
But never underestimate the power of a book! :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #5827 
TheCrysCat

I'm not saying that you should never make a thread about anything. This is a forum; it's meant for discussion. I'm saying that some things are simple enough that there's no point in waiting a few hours for an answer when you can look it up in a few minutes. For things that are more complicated than "put salt in water, add fish, wait" I can understand. I never posted a thread about Zekie having SBD, because I didn't see the point in it. I had the instructions, and I didn't need someone to tell me *again* what dosage of epsom salt to add in.

And the book thing was a metaphor. Obviously, no one thinks books are worthless. I was trying to say that posting a thread when you have no questions is pointless. If it's something that you have questions about, or need clarifying, or just need someone to tell you you're doing alright, go ahead and post a thread. If you're just too lazy to type something into the search bar, that's your problem.

Last edited by TheCrysCat; 07-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #5828 
Neil D

Yeah they're perfect for a campfire ....as fire wood.

Any one in the 21st century would use and e-reader of iPad...

Edit: sometimes there are different treatments for certain diseases that aren't on other places on the forum.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #5829 
fightergirl2710

Pfft! That takes the charm away from a book >_>
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #5830 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a couple of books that I refer to once in awhile. For something like breeding, I'd rather get advice from people here because there are some things that you can't really learn from a book. And with breeding, each situation is different so you'll get different opinions.

Tags
bettathanyou