Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #841 
DragonFish

I usually don't do this....but this REALLY ticked me off...
Rant-
So, today at work...

Meverhears someone talking about bettas as I'd just finished helping a customer-

Lady:-to her kid-Oh, bettas don't need a filter or a heater or anything fancy

Me:-butts in because I'm an employee and its my job to offer proper fish-care information-Actually, thats a common misconception. Bettas are in fact, tropical fish and require a heater with a stable temp of 78-80 degrees

Guy: I had a betta in a bowl and it lived for, like, two years and it was just fine

Me: Well when properly cared for, a betta can live to be five years or even older.

Guy: Well, its jsut a fish anyway, so I really don't care -in a rather irritated and hightly tone-

Me:-attempts not to strangle customer-

So that pissed me off, upset me, and kind of threw off my night a bit....
AND I got my hands all sliced up from the glass lids of the fish tanks :/

Anti-rant(because I need to say something positive ;P):
That other PK boy is still there...I might end up bringing him home, even if Bobby gets better.
There were also a bunch of cute little kids, and one girl who hugged me xD It was adorable.
OH! And I've put the albino Leopard Gecko at work on hold ;) So I'll hopefully be getting him in the next week or two <3
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #842 
Adastra

Oh man, I volunteer for a cat rescue that works out of a local Petsmart. On adoption days I usually spend 80% of the time stopping people from buying bad products for all kinds of animals--painted hermit crab shells, non-aquatic plants, that horrid cheap hamster food that's full of corn, etc. Sometimes they take the advice, and sometimes they don't, but if there's even one person that does take the good advice, I win. Some people are just incurably ignorant and there's nothing you can do about it, just hope the animals don't suffer too much. :/ It really does leave a bad taste in your mouth when you take the time to explain everything logically and in detail and they just think you're some kind of idiot.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #843 
DragonFish

-Sighs- Exactly...its really frustrating :/ So far I've been able to help many new betta owners get proper setups and gave them proper information...most people are rather happy about it too, but it was like tonight was ignorance night or something...I also explained proper betta care to another woman, and though she wasn't rude or anything, she seemed a bit irritated that she would have to take 15 minutes a couple times a week to change water in an uncycled 2.5 gallon >_>. I think I just turned her off of the idea though....which is fine with me. Better they know the proper info and choose NOT to get the animal rather then go ahead and get the critter anyway and stick it in horrible conditions ;P
Her daughter was the one that hugged me though xD <3 Adn in general they were nice people.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #844 
Maryrox247

Rant: All of my sorority is dying from DROPSY!!!!!!! Ember is pineconed and bloated right now and i cant get medicine to treat the whole tank with right now!!!! GAAAH STUPID FREAKIN' DROPSY!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #845 
Adastra

It would be best to separate out all the sick ones, then. Any healthy girls will find it instinctive to pick on the weak individuals, and in turn are put at a higher risk of getting sick themselves.

@DragonFish

Much better that they're informed enough to at least make the decision about whether or not they can handle the care of an animal.. small animal (other than fish) sales and small animal product sales are also an area where people easily make mistakes.. there's no way I'd be able to be a good employee in terms of business knowing what I do about basic small mammal and herp care. I don't see how employees handle the ignorance out there without screaming at people.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-05-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #846 
DragonFish

I know very little besides the basics about rodent care, and next to nothing about reptiles besides leopard geckos....though I know quite a bit about Hermit Crabs and Fish, which is why I requested a job in the fish room xD Lol
And for the most part people are very pleasant and willing to listen so long as you have a good attitude(which, I do of course ;P). Haha, this was the first guy I wanted to just totally go off on....and I hear all sorts of stories about other ignorant customers from my co-workers in other departments...I suppose you really just have to have the patients to deal with people ;P

I remember now, I have a bit more to rant about...
So, I had to go through this little training session at work right? Well, of course, this meant some co-worker explaining to me everything I already knew about fish keeping....and though most of the stuff he outlined and explained was pretty valid and decent information, there were several things that made me want to just jump in and correct him soooooooo many times....it was REALLY frustrating.
Like...
-Ammonia above 2.0 is deadly, but anything under that is tolerable and fine.
-A fish-in cycle is better in a fish-less(AFTER I raised my hand and asked him about the fish-less cycle to see how he'd react)because...get this..."Sure, you'll grow the necessary bacteria and be able to cycle your tank, but its really a big hassle and you can't match exactly to the amount of waste your fish will produce so some of the bacertia will end up dying off."

Yeah. Hes a nice guy, but I wanted to strangle him towards the end. Today was just NOT my day....

Though, on a lighter note, Iceman seems to be eating....

Last edited by DragonFish; 10-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #847 
bloo97

Lol did you actually try to strangle him?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #848 
vaygirl

I'd like to see THAT rant.... "I strangled a customer and I broke a nail!" :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #849 
ThePearlFish

ok I now want another life, I am too tired to deal with this one anymore.

I am NOT going to tell my job by the end of the week that I am not working there anymore, I don't care what my dad says, and right now I don't care if I don't have insurance and I don't care if I freaking don't have any friends and pretend I am happy on the outside and don't care if my since my BF says he spent the whole past weekend with me he is going to spend the whole next one gaming and therefore don't care if I don't get to see him at all till like tuesday to say bye to him when he goes off to his new job and don't care that I'll probably fail this lab test and don't care if it costs $400.00 for a 2week Rx for ulcers and JUST DON"T CARE!

why should I care about what everyone else wants if no one cares about making ME happy.

okay I am done whining and throwing a 2 year old temper tantrum.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #850 
metalbetta

I hate getting up early. I'm NOT by any means a morning person. But guess when I always work? Grr.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou