thanks to you fish man.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #9182 
fishman12

What? Diablo whacked me first.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #9183 
Neil D

ORLY? You hit me for singing a song. Is someone gonna make a FWII thread? Someone else should, besides me.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #9184 
fishman12

Eh, tomorrow.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #9185 
1fish2fish

I'm a little late on this but I think it's only fair I'm allowed a retort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
Why? This is a rant section, if I cant voice my hurt feelings here then where can I ?
Voicing hurt feelings is one thing. Blatantly bad mouthing another forum is another thing and could potentially open up legal issues for this forum.

Quote:
Actually I did read the sticky and I let the mod know that I had. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on quality fish without any experience knowing how to spawn them correctly. That is just a recipe for failure. I used my current fish to gain the experience so that I can breed quality fish. The other mod didn't agree with my actions and apparently neither do you and that's fine. You have a right to your opinion.
That's your prerogative and a legitimate reason. No one said that your reasons for choosing to breed pet store fish were wrong. They simply expressed concern for where those fish would be placed. Because finding homes for them might be a little more difficult than if they were a different tail type or color. Unless posts were deleted before I read the entire thread (which I did, multiple times).

Quote:
Generic does not mean common. Please show me a definition that states that generic means commonly found. Had she told me they were common I would have agreed because anyone who has even seen a Betta has seen a multicolor VT. However she said generic which is an insult. She is saying they are not as good as other fish, not that they are more common.
Actually generic and common are synonymous, unless Mirriam-Webster is a liar. A word is only an insult if you let it become one. I'm not her so I cannot say if she meant it as an insult or not but considering she said she did not mean it as an insult I can only assume that is the truth. Yes, maybe common would have been a better choice of word but when it comes down to it it's all semantics. I got chewed out because I said a fish was common, everyone takes the meaning of a word differently based on their cultural and socio-economic background so you cannot assume that because you take the meaning of a word one way that everyone does.

Quote:
No hundreds of fish die everyday because WE the people don't care enough about fish to push legislation that protects them!! The fish are not dying from old age! They are dying because the pet stores treat them like expendable crap and they know they can get away with it!! Like I told your buddy over there if you wanna make a change than get up off your computer and start raising awareness about fish keeping!! Start a volunteer group to come and clean out all the Betta cups at the wal mart's and pets stores. Do you actually think you can prevent Betta deaths by attacking hobby breeders?? Seriously??
Do you actually believe that legislation would keep fish from dying in pet store cups? The closest analogy I can come up with is the anti-puppy mill legislation and the evidence that it has done little to nothing to put a dent in the puppy mill industry. Pet stores do need to increase their quality of care for the fish but they also need to quit ordering more fish than they can realistically sell and need to change the way they display their bettas.

Again, I don't see where anyone was attacking, everyone on the forum is a hobby breeder. Yes, they prefer to see fish being bred from quality stock, but that doesn't mean they attack any member who chooses to breed pet store stock.

And FYI, I do speak out on betta awareness. I've gotten the fish sections shut down in 2 of my area wal-marts and have seen a huge change in the husbandry in my local Petsmart and aquarium store. I've written two articles for my college newspaper about the importance of proper animal husbandry. And I've been rescuing, adopting out, and fostering unwanted or deformed bettas for the past 2 years.

Quote:
Really?? Because I told your friend that I had homes for my Betta's and she still kept attacking me. Even going so far as to say I would have a hard time giving them away. Seems you didn't even bother to read the thread did you? You just jumped on the attack wagon just like they did...
Again I did read the thread multiple times. All I saw was several members congratulating you on your spawn and one or two expressing an interest in where you would rehome them.... it's a nice way of figuring out if your serious about finding good homes or just breeding for fun (without much care for the fish).... People ask the same questions on this forum.

I don't feel everyone jumped on any bandwagon and I don't feel I'm attacking you either. Just expressing my objective opinion, and again my concern for this forum and any repercussions that can come from "bad mouthing" other forums.

Quote:
I think it's rude of you to jump into an issue without looking at both sides. I think it's wrong of you to come and defend someone just because you are close to them. I respect your loyalty but blind allegiance is not very wise.
I'm not particularly close with anyone on that forum. Again, I've been around the block or two and I know what can happen when forums start mixing each other.

I am also not loyal or have any "blind allegiance" with any forum. There are SEVERAL things I do not agree with on that forum ... particularly the pack mentality they can sometimes have and several things I do not agree with on this forum.

I also have looked at both sides (as much as I can reading a thread with half the posts deleted). I did read most of the thread prior to the posts being deleted and honestly didn't see anything wrong with the posts. From what I can see the whole thing is stemming from one word which one person feels is a derogatory statement against their fish and what other people feel is a word synonymous with common or easily found.

I'm sorry you felt so attacked. I'm sure the posters on that thread never meant you to feel ganged up on.

I won't post any more. I just felt it was unfair that I couldn't get my last response in because I was away.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #9186 
Sakura8

*sigh* Please, can we put this issue to bed now? I don't like seeing people argue. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #9187 
Neil D

goodnight issue!

Anyway...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #9188 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
BRB moving to Minnesota! Who's coming with me?! Betta commune anyone?

@Bettas Rule, yeah I agree. There is a petco by me that treats their bettas (and all fish and animals) amazing and I only shop there. I know the money is spread out and just goes to the company in general but I give them good feedback and tell other stores about them hoping to inspire some change. There is literally no local fish store in the area, I have searched and searched. I wish someone would prove me wrong. The closest one is bout 45 minutes away and I don't even know that they have bettas.
I am ready! Betta commune here we come! lol
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #9189 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
*sigh* Please, can we put this issue to bed now? I don't like seeing people argue. :(
LOL It's cool I am over it already, I said my piece already.

So on a lighter note my special order crowntail came in today
No pictures yet but he is a black orchid . When I take some pictures I will post them in the Betta picture area
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #9190 
youlovegnats

Black Orchid!! *grabby hands*
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote