Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1 
derpmeister

Unhappy Starting to blow his tail from too much flaring?

So I think Toki is beginning to blow out his tail because he flares at everything all the time. I don't think it's fin rot and I *highly* doubt he bites it. Whatever it is, I've been keeping the water very clean with daily water changes in his 10 gallon tank.

Should I add some stress zyme to help the tail grow back? How long will it take?

Bad quality because he was starting to flare at the camera and I was trying to move it away, but you can see the little tear in his tail.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #2 
derpmeister

Well, now I'm starting to think that it's the betta log I bought him that did it. It was a little rough on the inside and I just put it in yesterday, and he slept in it all night. I sanded it out today though so now it's nice and smooth. I'm just not sure what it is though...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 
derpmeister

Okay, in a matter of hours the whole bottom part of his tail is in tatters like the rip in the picture. I don't know what's causing it. I've done the pantyhose test on all of the tank decor. The filter current is baffled and very gentle, and he doesn't go near the filter anyway.

He is extremely active as usual, and shows no other signs of sickness. The water parameters are fine and it doesn't look like fin rot at all. Water is at a stable 80 degrees. Is it possible his tail could rip from too much swimming? He swims constantly.

I want to make sure they don't rip anymore.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

If you're fish flares constantly it's very likely he's bitting off his tail.
When they swim around and see that "other" fish following them they attack!
It's like a dog chasing his tail. Do you keep the tank's light on a lot? You might want to turn it off to eliminate the glare.
I only turn on my lights for a few minutes a day when I'm admiring my fish so they are under supervision. Yup! I'm a little overprotective.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #5 
vaygirl

This seems to be going around. I had the same problem. It happened overnight. Everyone thinks it was tail biting and tail wear caused by stress. He's new (been with me since Thursday). His water stats are also all clear. He swam a lot too. In fact, I don't think he was even sleeping. Like you, I baffled his filter. He seems a lot calmer with the baffle in place and I'm hoping he'll just calm down. Just keep his water as clean as you can and keep an eye on him to see if he's resting. If he has a light, try turning it off for a few hours a day. Sometimes the light causes stress in a new fish (if he's new).

Here's a pic of mine for comparison's sake:

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #6 
derpmeister

He's a very pretty boy! I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I've only had Toki for a week but I've had many bettas before, and this hasn't happened to any of them. I don't think he's tail biting but I will start turning his light off for a while during the day and keeping up with my water changes.

Should I add a tiny bit of aquarium salt? I've heard mixed things on AS with bettas.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #7 
vaygirl

You can add salt. I did. Just make sure you don't use it for more then 10 days. I never had this happen either. I've had the odd tear and blown tail in my other guys but never like this. And never this fast. I hope he gets all better. His tail is gorgeous in your avatar pic. :( Poor guy.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote