Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #11 
PeiMai

I'm going to try and get some type of valve to regulate the amount of pressure running the UGF and see if that helps...otherwise its setting up the ten gal and moving him to that with a baffle for the power filter.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #12 
PeiMai

This is either the laziest Betta on the planet or something isn't right I'm convinced. He's been swimming off and on all day now he has taken to hanging at the top of the tank right at the surface. He's breathing gills are moving but he just hangs there tilted off to his left a bit. Am I just paranoid at this point?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #13 
lunalove199

Like adastra said, fish take time to adjust. Even after I do water changes for my fish, they stay at the bottom, or in one place for a while until they feel like its safe to move around or they adjust to things. It could take hours, or a day. It just depends on the fish. I would only be worried about the fish if he stayed in that spot for more than a day. :]
lunalove199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #14 
PeiMai

After everything I'm starting to think that I've got paranoid bettasplenden-itis. I keep checking him constantly.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #15 
PeiMai

woke up this morning and......dead.What am I doing wrong!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Oh my.....I am so sorry.....

I don't often recommend this, but I think maybe you need to use bottled water with you next Betta and see if you can keep one alive. At least it will rule out your source water as the cause.

You did everything right and the Betta should not have died...I am truly sorry you are having so much trouble......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #17 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Oh my.....I am so sorry.....

I don't often recommend this, but I think maybe you need to use bottled water with you next Betta and see if you can keep one alive. At least it will rule out your source water as the cause.

You did everything right and the Betta should not have died...I am truly sorry you are having so much trouble......
I actually have done the bottled water routine...and same result. I even tried the "Betta water" ...same thing.
I brought water samples to the store tested their water my water and both were about the same ph ammonia nitrite chlorine chlorimine and nitrate lvls. Literally, the guy told me that he sees more of the CT's and red VT's come back so why not try a blue one so here I am. We opened his cup and watched him together for a bit, fed him a piece of food and he was much much more active than all of the others. I'm totally at a loss.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I sure hope this one works out for you..dang the luck....I hope it is fish related and not water related...so much easier to fix.....

My thought on the water was heavy metals, arsenic type problems...you can contact your local water company and find this out, is you fish guy in the same county as you, if so, he should be a great resource for that information too.
Does the pet shop sell R/O water-you may want to try that
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #19 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I sure hope this one works out for you..dang the luck....I hope it is fish related and not water related...so much easier to fix.....

My thought on the water was heavy metals, arsenic type problems...you can contact your local water company and find this out, is you fish guy in the same county as you, if so, he should be a great resource for that information too.
Does the pet shop sell R/O water-you may want to try that
They actually are on the same water system as me. So I really don't think its that. I don't maybe its just me maybe I'm the harbinger of death for betta's and just don't know it.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #20 
PeiMai

The 'FaNuGy' or at least that's what I'm callin him for now. I also tied a knot in the air hose to the filter and that does seem to have worked rather well hopefully its tolerable for him.
Attached Images