Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #1 
Phoxly

20g Long Ideas?

I'm getting a 20 gallon long aquarium when we move into the new condo to upgrade from my 10 gallon and I really want to keep the main focus on bettas as opposed to putting in my male with a crap load of community fish and tetras lol. Anyone seen any neat ideas for a 20 gallon for bettas? I have thought of doing a sorority, maybe a divided sorority?

5 gallons for my male, 15 gallons for the girls? Or maybe two males on each end with girls in the middle? I have 3 cories which will probably reside in the middle with the girls, and 4 tetras, not sure how well they will do with the ladies.

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

girly soroity!
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

or divide for lots of males ;) thats what i did
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 
doggyhog

I would do it divided with one male and about 7-9 girls in the 15g section. That would be great!!!!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #5 
Phoxly

I used to think girl bettas were not as neat as boys, but they flare just like them, I think having 7-9 of them would be so fun. :D
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #6 
gahcrazy

I took a 29 gal and devided it into three sections. 5gal, 10gal, 5gal. on the ends are my males keeping guard, and in the middle i have 5 females. In case you are woundering why 20gals and not 29 it's because of several things, first the girls like to fight if theres alot of empty space, second because the girls LOVE to jump when i'm around (i use the exta room and have deviders that go 3 inches above the waters top.) and of course i don't want ANYONE jumping ship to vist the males or visa-verse.
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #7 
Dead Sunlight

lol! i never thought about the m/f thing! (im rather new at divided tanks)

just one problem, if u do that, males can detect the female hormones and that'll stimulate spawning.

lol im SOO doing that!
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #8 
Phoxly

I like the ideas of the males on each end :D I just don't know how divided tanks look with plants and driftwood in them. I'd like to kind of aquascape a divider with java moss maybe?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #9 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
I'm getting a 20 gallon long aquarium when we move into the new condo to upgrade from my 10 gallon and I really want to keep the main focus on bettas as opposed to putting in my male with a crap load of community fish and tetras lol. Anyone seen any neat ideas for a 20 gallon for bettas? I have thought of doing a sorority, maybe a divided sorority?

5 gallons for my male, 15 gallons for the girls? Or maybe two males on each end with girls in the middle? I have 3 cories which will probably reside in the middle with the girls, and 4 tetras, not sure how well they will do with the ladies.
I personally think divided tanks look like crap. I have a 20g long aquarium and I had it divided 3 ways for my bettas. I ended up buying them all their own small aquariums and turned the 20g long into a planted community tank. Just my opinion, keep it simple and undivided imo.
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #10 
WillowTree

I like the idea of a male on each side and a sorority in the middle. I think that would be fun and look great!
WillowTree is offline   Reply With Quote