Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #1 
CodeRed

Scraping scales?

Something's up with Vali. It almost seems like he's losing his scales, but there's literally nothing in the tank on which he could scrape them off? They almost look like sores.
Before:

Now:

Help me? I don't believe it's the water quality, since he's been perfectly fine so far, and he shares the same water as 10 other fish. Unfortunately, I don't have a test kit, so I can't provide answers there. However, since this is the first time this has ever happened, I can't believe it's water quality related, since it's only happening to him alone.

1. What is the size of your tank?
5.5 Gallon

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
See above

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Freshwater

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
About 3 weeks now, but it's uncycled

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 betta fish in the tank, only about an inch long, had him for maybe 3 weeks

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
He has his own tank, so it wasn't really needed.

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
78 degrees

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
No

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
None. It's uncycled.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
None. He's an easily aggravated fish, and didn't appreciate the bubbler x3

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
No sunlight, doesn't have a light schedule besides the normal one, as light aggravates him and causes him to flare excessively.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
I changed the water exactly 5 days ago in a 100% changed. I have no substrate, so I don't vacuum it. I do, however, scoop out uneaten food.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
He's fed flakes every day at around noon. He doesn't eat often or very much, and is a very picky eater.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
None besides the scrapes. He seems otherwise completely healthy, without even showing any lethargic-ness, floating, or anything of that sort.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
I gave him a drop or two of bettafix to healing some holes he blew in his fins with excessive flaring a couple of days ago, but that was before I really realized he was hurt. Other than that, no other medicines or treatments have been undergone.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Does he have any plants and\or caves?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #3 
CodeRed

He has some plants and one castle, but neither have ever caused problems before...

Here's the tank:
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

The castle is what I would be worried about. I have the same one and the betta would swim into the little hole inside the bigger hole.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 
Dead Sunlight

He could have done some scraping on the castle.

i suggest u take out he castle and continue with daily 50-75% waterchanges, with 1 teaspoon per gallon of pre-mixed aquarium salt to prevent from any bacterial infections from the wounds.
They should start to close up with warm-dchlorinated water. Betta-fix contains an ingrediant that can damage the laberianth organ, so I advise u not to use it.

The longest u should use the salt is 10 days, then stop for 5 days and if wounds are still not completly healed, continue for another 5-10 days depending on how the sores are looking

other than that, he should be fine.

hope this helped, DS.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
CodeRed

Thanks guys (: I'll do that.
If I take out the hide, should I put anything else in there for him in the meantime? To sleep in, I mean? Or should I just leave him in there with the plants?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #7 
Dead Sunlight

if u have any decor thats not sharp or anyting, u can, u could also put a mug in there, but he'll be fine with the silk plants.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

*first I want to say I'm sorry he's not doing so well*

Second I want to say (and I hope you don't take offense) but I LOL'd at some of your replies to the questions. He sounds like a Diva ;)

If you can turn your heater up I would turn it up to 80* and try adding aquarium salt for 10 days. I would do daily pwc's in addition to your regular maintenance just so his water is extra clean. I would add the aquarium salt without letting it dissolve (just dump it in), however I would introduce it slowly, starting with a small amount and adding more each day until you reach a full dose.

It looks like scrapes to me but I could be wrong. This is just how I would proceed until I figured out what was causing the scrapes (if that's what it is).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #9 
CodeRed

Thanks again for the info! I know how to treat fin rot, but scrapes and other injuries totally escapes me :P It's just not common around here! I hope he enjoys his "Number one Dad" mug X33
And yes, he's a total Diva. He's got such attitude, and then he sometimes shows his sweet side. I don't know whether to hug him, or sock him. So to speak, of course.

Edit: By here, I mean around my house x3 Whoops.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #10 
Owlets

Injuries aside, he's a very gorgeous boy, i'm not surprised he's a diva!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote