Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #1 
Campbell

Clamped Fins & Lethargic?

I've had this crowntail for about a month. I've never seen him eat a pellet, only freeze dried bloodworms. (I've posted about this before) I don't think this is the cause, but a symptom. But anyways, the past few weeks he has kept his fins clamped and is swimming in odd jerks. He usually just sits on the top or in his cave. I had him in a heated divided tank, but he got worse and I've moved him to a 1/2 gallon ISO so I can observe him better and do daily water changes... but I don't have it heated. It's around 76 degrees and his tank before was 80. Would one of those mini heaters work in a 1/2 gallon? Should I use aquarium salt? I've had fish long enough to tell when something's wrong, and this is defiantly on of those times.

I think it's also worth nothing that his color is still wonderful. I'll try to get a pic up, but they don't do much. Just show a clamped up fish.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #2 
Fermin

Hi there. Have you checked your water parameters recently? What were the readings? Heating his hospital tank is probably a good idea.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #3 
Campbell

Well I don't have a test kit. This all started in a divided tank, and the other fish was fine. I change his water every day because his tank is so small. I really think his water is okay because it comes from the same aging tub my other fish's water does. I also know crowntails are very sensitive to how hard water is, but his fins aren't curling and my water is not hard at all.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #4 
Adastra

Heat and water quality could be an issue. If you can't afford to get him a larger hospital tank, you could still get a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin from wal mart or target. 4 gallon bins are only about $3 and they are safe to use with heaters--these make ideal hospital tanks because of their shape and the fact that they're so easy to clean.

Have you looked for signs of velvet? Sometimes it's necessary to darken the room and look at the fish with a flashlight in order to see the yellow-gold granules between the scales. Have you been able to observe any of his feces? Internal parasites can cause a fish to lose their appetite and become lethargic. White, stringy, or otherwise abnormal feces can indicate internal parasites.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #5 
Campbell

I checked for velvet about a week ago when I put him in the ISO, and he didn't show symptoms. And I have a rubbermaid bin, but thats not an option because my mother won't let me use it. I don't know why, I bought it and it's sitting empty in my room. Whatever, I don't feel like arguing with her. But the positive of the current ISO is I can keep a closer eye on him. I would think he'd be okay with 100% daily water changes.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #6 
Campbell

Well he passed away. At least it wasn't a surprise. He was sickly when I got him.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Well he passed away. At least it wasn't a surprise. He was sickly when I got him.
Sorry to hear about your Loss mate.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote