Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #11 
Dead Sunlight

yes, after a few days, they will get used to each other.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #12 
Neelie

having had more troubles with my divided than anywone else on here im guessing, i can outline what the cons are anyways. the pro's have faded a little since i've seen how much better they do in critter keepers.
now, i guess my problems were already programmed because my 32g long is split 6 ways, which is too much imo.

first couple of weeks went good in my divided. 3 fish, so the tank was half stocked. water stats were all perfect and stable. added more fish until i had the compartments filled. all went well for a while until the 1st started to bite its fins. i swapped him to the corner compartment thinking he needs some space but it didnt improve.
it wasnt long till the 2nd started to bite. however, i ignored it and they stopped after 2 weeks or so.
i then had to move house, which all went well and i set up the tank again with no problems.

then, disaster hit.
an unknown illness caught draco, my super delta dragon. i took him out but he died just 2 days later. then, it spread to another 2 fish withing a few hours. i took the tank apart and put my remaining fish into critter keepers where they were doing fine. another that had caught it, recovered.

my point; if something goes wrong in a divided, you risk your whole stock. thats is a con that weighs out all pro's imo. hence why i wont list the obsious pro's...

im now setting the divider up again however, as i believe the illness issue was my own particular fault...

the flaring that has been addressed is indeed stressfull for the fish at first, but after a few weeks mine had adjusted. infact i think to a certain extent mine enjoyed each other's company. so it seemed
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #13 
Sarada

Mine flare over tanks that are several feet away regardless. Unless they each have their own room in the house they still freak over the other fish.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #14 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Mine flare over tanks that are several feet away regardless. Unless they each have their own room in the house they still freak over the other fish.
Mine do this too, my RT swims to the corner of his tank and pines for the other male, its cute lol

This is a good thread, I have been debating whether to divide my 6.5 gallon so that I can get a CT but my main concern has always been the tail biting and also the fact that if something goes wrong then the whole tank goes down lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #15 
Mizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkB33 View Post
Was wondering what some of the posters here thought of their divided tanks. I like somethings about my 10 gallon divided tank...but there also maybe a problem with them. I'm learning that a split tank may cause stress for the fish. Being able to "see" the other bettas in the tank may cause repeated flaring and stress...thereby causing other maladies. How's everybody else doing with their divided tanks? What, if any, problems are you experiencing? What do you enjoy about them? Have you had disease spread with a divided tank?
Harder to keep clean & do tank maintenance. Doens't look very good imo. Easier to keep more bettas
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #16 
Jayy

You guys are REALLY scareing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I'm planning to divide my 10 and 35 gallons and from these replies I don't know If I'm still going to. Is there some way you can lower the stress by adding more plants??
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #17 
Jayy

A replie from someone with a divided tank would be great!!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #18 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
A replie from someone with a divided tank would be great!!
HUH??? I replied because I used to do divided tanks. I don't anymore & explained why.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #19 
Jayy

I didn't mean it that way. I just wanted a replie from someone to help me out.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #20 
FloridaBettas239

I seen someone said something about the kritter keepers, They are ok but for a decent size kritter keeper like say 1.5 gallon is 8.00 - 14.00 dollar's or more. And you can buy a bare 10 gal tank for 10.00. I have done this a couple time's, got a 10 gal for 10.00 and built a acrylic top lid for it with a sponge filter for under 20.00 And that's a huge 10 gallon for the them..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote