Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #1 
derpmeister

To salt or not to salt?-- tail fin problems.

Yesterday my betta had a small tear in his tail, which I thought he blew out from too much flaring, but throughout the day two more small tears appeared and his tail is looking ragged. This morning it doesn't look worse but it hasn't gotten better yet. I don't think it's fin rot because there is no discoloration and he is extremely active and eating very well. I think he might have injured the tail on a plant (that I removed) and then made it worse but swimming around so much (he only stops swimming at night when the lights are out). Either that or he's tail biting.

Water parameters are good, water is at a stable 80 degrees, he's in a 10 gallon filtered tank by himself and getting 25% water changes daily to prevent infection.

My question is, should I add a tablespoon of aquarium salt to the tank? People say different things, but I would really like to prevent infection and help the tail heal ASAP because he has a gorgeous tail. Thanks!

Last edited by derpmeister; 08-11-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 
peaches3221

aquarium salt should probably help. do a water change first and raise the temp to 82-85. you can also add bettafix or melafix, both available at petsmart and petsmart.com. BEAUTIFUL betta! hope he gets better soon!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3 
Adastra

I would forgo the bettafix/melafix--some suggest that the melaleuca in them is harmful to a betta's labyrinth organ, besides, it's not really necessary. Warm, clean water is all he needs to heal back well--a few days of aquarium salt may help but don't feel the need to continue with the salt until the fin has fully healed, just a few days should be enough to stave off infection.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #4 
derpmeister

I dunno, I have seen some really good and really bad things from Melafix/Bettafix. I wouldn't use Melafix though. I just added a little salt and I'll keep up with my water changes but if worse comes to worse I'll medicate.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #5 
Waldo183

When my fish's fins started to tear I raised the water to about 82 ish? And I added aquarium salt and did every other day water changes... His fins started healing up within 2 to 3 days...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #6 
derpmeister

Okay cool. I raised the temp to 81 and I've been adding tiny amounts of salt. It's been 2 days and there's not any new growth yet but it's not getting worse so I'm hopeful. :)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #7 
lunalove199

It may take a while. My male betta has the same problem but hes doing better with the salt :]
Closed Thread