Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #1 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Talking First Betta! :)

Hey, this is my first post here! Today while waiting for my kitty's claws to be trimmed, I walked around the store. I saw a rack with a bunch of little cups on it. I knew they we're bettas. I started browsing and I found one with "King Betta" labeled on it. I bought him for $25.99, (only becauses he's green, orange and transparent! He's so pretty!). While the lady at the cash register held him, I started walking around, as I didn't have anything to keep him in. I bought a betta care guide at the store, and while reading it (still in the store, and my cat was ready so I had them give her a bath), I found the things I needed. I bought him...

A package of live bloodworms
A package of flightless fruit flies
Standard betta pellets
Frozen brine shrimp
Floating log (for bubblenests?)
Java moss ball
A bridge
Thermometer
Dechlorinater
10 gallon tank
Heater
Filter
Some fake foilage
And a suction cup leaf so he can lay on

Does it sound like I have everything I need for my new fish? Also, what's a king betta exactly?
I need name ideas!
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #2 
XSprinkleFaceX
Member
 
XSprinkleFaceX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Wow. Sounds like your set.
Are you going to cycle your tank? (Probably a good thing to do since it minimizes the amount of water changes.)
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #3 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
Wow. Sounds like your set.
Are you going to cycle your tank? (Probably a good thing to do since it minimizes the amount of water changes.)
Where can I get a cycler? Is it just something I can buy? I already spent $100 on this guy. :p
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #4 
kuklachica
Member
 
kuklachica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your guy (btw, we LOVE pics!!!)!! :):)

A king betta is a betta that can get quite large, possibly 4 inches-ish. It is good that you got a 10 gallon because they need more room than the average betta.

Sounds like you got most everything. The only things I would recommend at this point are these:

A water test kit. You will need to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in your tank to make sure they don't get too high while your tank cycles (check out our sticky about cycling here).

A siphon and possibly a bucket to do water changes.

Gravel for the tank.

Not sure what kind of fake plants you bought, but plastic has been known to tear their fins. Just keep an eye out for that. You can run pantyhose over the plants and decorations to test them. If the nylons snag, then your fish's tail will snag.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

EDIT: You may also want to get Aquarium Salt. It is a good medication for many illness bettas may have.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 
XSprinkleFaceX
Member
 
XSprinkleFaceX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
LOL! You don't buy it ... Search about the Nitrogen Cycle.
Here are some good links to help you out.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...-methods-3067/
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #6 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your guy (btw, we LOVE pics!!!)!! :):)

A king betta is a betta that can get quite large, possibly 4 inches-ish. It is good that you got a 10 gallon because they need more room than the average betta.

Sounds like you got most everything. The only things I would recommend at this point are these:

A water test kit. You will need to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in your tank to make sure they don't get too high while your tank cycles (check out our sticky about cycling here).

A siphon and possibly a bucket to do water changes.

Gravel for the tank.

Not sure what kind of fake plants you bought, but plastic has been known to tear their fins. Just keep an eye out for that. You can run pantyhose over the plants and decorations to test them. If the nylons snag, then your fish's tail will snag.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

EDIT: You may also want to get Aquarium Salt. It is a good medication for many illness bettas may have.
Alright what are some good live plants I can get then? Awwh my little guy made a bubblenest. Can I get water test kits at a petstore?
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
Sarada
Member
 
Sarada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kenora, ON
Yes most pet stores have water test kits. I like e-bay for my live plants...but I have limited resources where I live.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #8 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
LOL! You don't buy it ... Search about the Nitrogen Cycle.
Here are some good links to help you out.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...-methods-3067/
Lol don't be mean. :p I have snakes, this is my first fish!
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #9 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Also, what and when should I feed him? And is there any kind of light he needs? His temp is at 78 and he seems happy. He's chasing filter bubbles and he made a nest in his log. I think he's happy.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #10 
Sarada
Member
 
Sarada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kenora, ON
Whatever you do don't overfeed them. I feed my boys 3 pellets a day, I used to do more, they are healthier now. I wish I did but I don't have live foods for them.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.