Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #11 
kuklachica
Member
 
kuklachica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I WISH there was a "cycler"!! It would be so much easier! Yes, you can buy the test kits at the store, but you can get a cheaper one at walmart.com.

EDIT: He doesn't NEED a light, but it doesn't hurt him. But your plants WILL need a light, a florescent one or CFL, to let them grow.

Does your tank have a cover?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #12 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
Whatever you do don't overfeed them. I feed my boys 3 pellets a day, I used to do more, they are healthier now. I wish I did but I don't have live foods for them.
I fed him a frozen brine shrimp when we got home. I'm going to get some gravel and shiny marble-rock thingys too.
I'm going to the pet store tomorrow. I saw some lime green gravel it was awesome. :D
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #13 
XSprinkleFaceX
Member
 
XSprinkleFaceX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
I'm not being mean. Sorry if that's what it sounded like!
But regarding the feeding question i feed mine twice daily. 3 pellets in the am 3 at pm. You can give him fruit flies and bloodworms as treats. Bloodworms are looked at as like "candy" for bettas. If you feed them too much theyll get obese so feed them as a treat. As for the fruit flies i dont know how the yaffect the bettas. The light: you should get a fluorescent because incandescent lights heat up the water, and thats not good if you already have a heater.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #14 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
I WISH there was a "cycler"!! It would be so much easier! Yes, you can buy the test kits at the store, but you can get a cheaper one at walmart.com.

EDIT: He doesn't NEED a light, but it doesn't hurt him. But your plants WILL need a light, a florescent one or CFL, to let them grow.

Does your tank have a cover?
Yes - but I had to take it off for his filter.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #15 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
I'm not being mean. Sorry if that's what it sounded like!
But regarding the feeding question i feed mine twice daily. 3 pellets in the am 3 at pm. You can give him fruit flies and bloodworms as treats. Bloodworms are looked. at as like "candy" for bettas. If you feed them too much theyll get obese so feed them as a treat. As for the fruit flies i dont know how the yaffect the bettas. The light: you should get a fluorescent because incandescent lights heat up the water, and thats not good if you already have a heater.
Alright - thanks! :) And I was kidding about you being mean. :P
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #16 
kuklachica
Member
 
kuklachica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Be careful without the cover. Bettas LOVVVVVVVE to jump, and kings especially have more umph without the long tails to hold them down. Many people have found their bettas on the floor the next day without a cover. So just keep an eye on him!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #17 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Alright - I might have to put it back on. I don't want my buddy jumping out.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #18 
kuklachica
Member
 
kuklachica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I have a tank that is divided into sections, one betta in each section. I have one guy (with a long tail) who jumps a good 3-4 inches each time I got to feed him. He's jumped over the divider so many times that I've had to make a little top for his section!! They are crazy!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #19 
prettylittlefishy
New Member
 
prettylittlefishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Michigan, US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
I have a tank that is divided into sections, one betta in each section. I have one guy (with a long tail) who jumps a good 3-4 inches each time I got to feed him. He's jumped over the divider so many times that I've had to make a little top for his section!! They are crazy!
They really do have personalities. If everything with this betta goes good for a few weeks, I'm going back to the store and getting a few more. But this ones always gonna be my first!
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #20 
kuklachica
Member
 
kuklachica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Just remember that males can't share tanks with other bettas, unless they are divided.

You gotta love the first ones :) They jump-start the addiction (yes, it is an addiction!).
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.