Betta Fish Forum banner

Someone overfed my fish...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Phoxly 
#1 ·
What should I do? I cleaned up 2 tablespoons of leftover food from someone in my house feeding my fish, I'll be so damn lucky if they don't all die. My cories were secluded and hiding under their coconut, my betta was swimming around like normal, and the tetras were all opening and closing their mouths like they were chewing.

It was the tiny granules that sink to the bottom I normally feed my tetras, my betta ignores them cause he can't chase them as they sink, I normally feed 2-3 granules per Tetra and call it good, they are about the size of a betta pellet.

I cleaned it all up already and did my weekly water change, been about an hour now and the cories are starting to check things out, and my betta is acting normal. I am skipping feeding tonight and tomorrow morning I'l give my normal 2 pellets to the betta but I really dont' know what else to do...

#2 ·
You should test the water a few times in the next few days to make sure you don't get a nitrate spike--it shouldn't be too bad since you scooped out a lot of the food and did a water change/cleaning afterward, but better safe than sorry, right?

I would fast them for now and see how they look in the morning--you seem to be saying that they're not bloated, so the damage seems to be very minimal. If they don't appear to be bloated, I would assume that basically everything's fine. Someone in your house just needs a good, stern talking to.

#3 ·
They were acting all chipper and fine this morning, no one came forth and said they fed the fish, they all denied feeding them that day which it was obvious they did.... It was probably a case of them not realizing how fast the food comes out. I actually poor it into my hand first to make sure I get the right portion, or use a small bowl.

I think I'll put the daily portions in the tiny sauce bowl and if they want to feed they can just toss that in and it should be fine. I fed my normal bottom feeder shrimp pellets which slowly break apart and some tiny pieces will float to the top which the tetras feed off of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.