Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #1 
mybettajaws2010

Exclamation PLEASE HELP! Betta Peeling?!

Hello,

I bought a male crowntail betta from my local pet store about 5 days ago. He's quite the lively little fish! He eats quite a bit, is very active, builds bubble nests, etc... But there is one problem.
Just the other day, I noticed what looked like peeling skin hanging off his fins. It will usually just hang around on him until he begins swimming around quickly, then it falls off. It hasn't affected his activity or eating habits whatsoever, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I've been doing about 30/40% water changes, to see if that helps.

Here's a little info about his living quarters:
1 Gal tank
No filtration system
From what I can tell, a stable temp of around 75-80

I've thrown a little bit of aquarium salt into his tank, maybe that's the cause?
I've read on a few other sites that it could just be the fish adapting to the new living situation and whatnot, and should correct itself over time.

Anyways, I'm looking for a response from someone who's dealt with this similar situation, I really want to help my little man!

Thanks
mybettajaws2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #2 
Sarada

Skin problems in fish are usually related to water conditions or injury. In a tank that small I would do 100% changes every second day.(thats me though).

If he has always been alone, it is unlikely to be injury, but it may be infection from bad water quality.

It would be beneficial for him to have a heater so you can bring the heat up over 80.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #3 
Sarada

While treating the 'pealing' I would do daily 100% changes with aquarium salt.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic?

Since he is otherwise acting and eating fine, it may be a response to his new water- however, I would recommend that you increase his water changes to 100% every other day on a regular basis in a 1g unfiltered container to maintain water quality.

When a fish produces excess slim coat it is usually a response to an irritant from either the source water, external parasites, injury and sometimes being too cold.

What kind of dechlorinator are you using and are you adding it with each water change?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #5 
mybettajaws2010

I had some pics I took on my Blackberry, but I must've deleted them.
It looks as if he has cobwebs hanging off him, that's about the best description I can give.
it's not covering his entire body, though, just on some random spots.

I'm actually using purified bottled water because the tap water where I live is extremely toxic for fish to live in, and I read online it's perfectly okay to have a betta living in purified water.
My previous betta lived in purified bottled water for a very long time, and he was very healthy and active.
I usually put half a teaspoon of aquarium salt in the tank when I do a water change...
Should I continue adding salt?
Or should I just try pure water?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Due to the bottled water not being regulated, often it is filtered tap water and can still contain chlorine/chloramines and I would still use a dechlorinator with it, also due to the filtering process it can be lacking the needed minerals the fish needs as well and this need to be added back, there are additives you can buy or you can use some of your tap water..maybe 25/75 mix since you have questionable tap water.

Aquarium salt is a great product to use short term for treatments, however, long term use I would not recommend, it can cause internal damage and resistant in pathogens/parasites.

I would continue to use it at this point at a dosage of 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days and then get him in freshwater with every other day 100% water changes thereafter to maintain water quality to prevent health and fin issues

You may want to look into getting a heater as well, they have 7.5 watt heater that will work in 1g container to help keep the water in the 76-78F area. Too low or unstable temps can be stressful on the Betta affecting the immune response.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #7 
mybettajaws2010

Okay, so should I just start using my tap water (of course conditioning it so its able to be lived in by the fish) instead of bottled water?
Also, if this is the case, should I just do a straight change? or should I do like half and half at first?
Like, half conditioned tap water & half bottled water, then 75 conditioned tap 25 bottled, eventually to 100 conditioned tap?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

That is correct, you want to make the change over slow to avoid any sudden water chemistry swings.

Tags
shedding, skin