Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Hello everyone! New here!

Oh, I hope this is the right section..

Hello! My name is Kat, and I hope to learn a lot here! I have always liked fish, but never had any of my own (though my parents have a pond with goldfish)

Although I have many other pets, none of them can be taken to college! :) just cause it's in a 'tank' doesn't mean I can take my ball python baby girl with me! :D

So, after looking through the different fish...I decided on getting a betta friend to take to my second year of college! But I want to do my research first!! I've seen too many people buy those stupid betta plant vases and.. As a reptile owner, I know that google can only get you so far! There is so much wrong information out there, I find it easier to comunicate with people so I can ask my own questions!

So, expect to see me around here! I'll be asking questions! hope to learn a lot! I want my future friend to have the best, healthiest life possible!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

Hi there, welcome to the great world of betta splendens. Just don't get bit by the betta bug " just joking" you will end up with a house full lol...
If you want a nice home for your friend you will be getting. I think a 5 gallon kit would be nice, it would give him plenty of room and it come's with filters everything. You just need sand or gravle and your betta friend. Also a 5 gallon does not take up much room, because I no you said your in school.. Anyway hope to here from you later.. Bye bye
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

LOL! Trust me i know what you mean by the 'betta bug'.. I've experienced such things in the past, and I can see how it would be hard to stop with just one! :) But let's see if I can restrain myself while in college, when I have my own place, I expect many more tanks to come!

A five gallon sounds nice in comparison to what I have already! Between the 20s for the geckos, the 10 for the pacman frog, and the 50 for the snake, and a full size cockatiel bird cage.. The size almost seems too good to be true! :) I don't see how anyone could give their bettas such tiny little tanks! They need to swim and stretch out those pretty fins!!

I'm curious as to the best place to buy from..I know that with most exotics big chain pet stores are a big fat NO NO! But I've been reading here about many good fish found at Petco? I haven't visited our local petco in a while, and I hope they do a better job than our petsmarts! The poor things all look so sad, stuffed in itty bitty bowls! Thanks for the response! :)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #4 
Alex09

Petco generally has a good selection of bettas. As for the tanks you could look around there or check out your local walmart (I visited their sites and walmart seems to be cheaper). Or you could order online.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #5 
Bettas are Betta

Hey and welcome im a new member too and im still exploring i have 3 bettas and a frog there names are Sushi, Wasabi, Soya (frog), and Ramen. You can probably see im a big fan of japanese food as names lol. I was bit by the betta bug right when i walked into the store. There he was (Sushi) trying to strech out and swim in his little cup full or water and poop a beautiful multi CT waiting to get a new home! Good luck!
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #6 
purplemuffin

All right! I am excited for my future petco visit, right now I'm just getting as much information as possible! I know how important a proper introduction to an environment is, so I won't bring home a fish until I'm ready to do it right!

I know I must sound awful annoying right now, but all this fish terminology is still new to me, and I want to avoid any bad purchases.. So..

Supplies.. Any specific brand to avoid? Any better than the rest? Especially as dechlorinating the water goes, that's new to me, so I want to be sure I get good stuff! I don't want to accidentally kill my fish! :(

And food! What are betta favorites? I hear some don't like flake foods, so I'm guessing that leaves some sort of worm? Are there specific feeders that have better nutrition than others? :)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #7 
Bettas are Betta

Try not to use melafix on your betta it really doesnt go well with his labrynth organ at all! Also try starting with flake food and moving to something a little better i personally would avoid worms (blood worms are OK) cause they carry desieses and parasites! Yikes.
try pellets, flakes, bloodworms and brine shrimp. (not all at once) My Wasabi will jump out of the water for flakes, brine shrimp and blood worms. only feed once a day though and maybe fast them once a week to rest their stomachs. Remember their stomach is only as big as their eye!
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

The bigger store's are going to have there prices high, then again they have to pay fr that big building there in, electric bill and so on. This mean's they charge more, If you have a family owned or smaller store to go to this is where you will find your deal. With that in mind the petco's and petsmarts have sale's on tank kit's. So you should look out for the sale if your going to one of them type stores... If I didn't have my friend's pet store then my walmart would be my place. I have 2 walmart's 10 minute's from me in either direction. One of them dont even sell aquatic stuff the other does and a 10 gallon perfecto or tetra aquarium kit with heater is 29.99, now at petco or petsmart its like 46.00. But you can find it on sale like I was saying and you can get it for 29.99 that's why it's good to wait for the sale unless you got a hook up like me with my friend's pet shop...
Best thing is research and shop around, Read the review's on thing's just check everything out and it will come to you. You will find that one tank your like that's the one I want for my betta...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #9 
vaygirl

IMO, Prime is the best water conditioner. I'm not sure Petco carries it but my Petsmart does. It works out to 2 drops per gallon and it removes chlorine and all the harsh metals and also ammonia if you have that present in your tap water. It's cheaper in the long run.

If you do get a 10 gallon kit, look into baffling your filter. The filter current on larger filters is often too strong for a betta. The baffling thread is stickied in the Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories forum at the top. There are other ways to baffle floating around using a filter sponge or filter floss.

Happy shopping! :D

Oh, and Linens and Things sells fish supplies and ships for just 1.99. It usually works out cheapest if you can't find what you need in a local store.

Don't worry about questions. You flood us with questions, we'll flood you with answers. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

Thanks so much for the information! I think I will end up getting the five gallon, at least to start! That way I can get a small filter and not worry about doing the baffling thing right.

So right now this is what I'm looking at..
The set up:
-Five gallon tank
-Small filter I keep seeing 2-20 gallon filters, or up to 3 gallons..Having trouble finding one for five gal..suggestions?
-Small heater Found..hydor 7.5 watt heater? Is this good?
The food:
-Betta Pellets Aqueon? Is that good?
-Fish flake food Ok, just to be clear, I'm looking for 'tropical' fish flakes right? And what are 'color enhancing' flakes?
-Brine shrimp/Blood worms
The extra helpers:
-fish scooper
-Prime water conditioner
-container to prepare water for water changes
-sand/gravel
-hides/decorations
-medicine
-thermometer
-liquid test kit

Look good? if anyone has any opinions, please tell me!