Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #1 
Bettas are Betta

Question betta and awesome tank mates.

I have a 2.65 gallon tank with a male betta and i was wondering if there was any good pleco or sucherfish kinda thing that would make an awesome tank mate to clean up the gravel and stuff! Thanks
Bettas are Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #2 
Bettas are Betta

How about corydoras and how many? can they stay in with my betta in a 1.5 and 2.65 gallon tank?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #3 
meeka

Plecs will grow way toooo big for your tank and its also not really suitable for any kind of cories are they also like to be in a group
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Nothing is suitable as a tank-mate in that small of a tank.. Just a betta is the only thing I would put in there.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 
puddin

If you want to clean up the gravel, get a snail. Cories do not clean, they are just bottom feeders and need to be in a group and at least a 10 gallon to feel happy.
puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

As doggyhog said there is nothing you can put in a tank that size with a betta. Its just too small. That includes snails and shrimp. If you want tank mates your going to need to get a 3+ gallon tank. If you want a tank with fish in it your going to need to get a 10+ gallon tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #7 
b3ttaf1sh

I would suggest a larger tank if you want the betta to have a tankmate. At least 5 gallons, 10 would be more suitable. Then you could put snails in there once there is a lot of algae and bacteria for them. And shrimp or ADF's could leave peacefully with a betta too. As for fish i would recommend a platy and certain types of loaches. Nothing aggressive or long-finned.

Last edited by b3ttaf1sh; 08-12-2010 at 11:48 AM.
b3ttaf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #8 
zelilaa

I hate it when people say "Go out and buy a bigger one it's too small" Ugh. If you could buy a bigger one, what would you be doing with a 2.65 gal anyways? Shees. I do not know of any that would work. My betta is by himself in a 2.5 gal tank right now, but I a'm getting two cherry shrimp at Christmas time. =D I would recomend a snail. I know you said fish, but all the bottom feeders I can think of would out- grow the tank. Plecos grow huge, and cories are just scavengers. They won't clean the tank. Seriously, snails are SUPER cute and just 1 would be perfect. But be prepared with lettuce or the like when it needs food other then just algae. Because not much algae will grow in a 2.65 gal tank. Like.. ever. So make sure it gets enough food! Of course, I bet you prefer fish over snails. Most people do. Even I do! Your tank IS big enough for one other fish... but no bottom feeders would do. Snails is the only option. Darn. =(
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

Actually a 2.5 gallon tank is not big enough for another fish. A tank that small just doesn't have enough room to support two fish, especially with an aggressive species like Betta splendens. Any fish that would stay a small enough size to be put in a tank like that require a shoal which means they must be in 10+ gallon tanks.

A snail would do but most people get mystery snails for their first snail and they would not do well in such a small tank without lots of extra water changes considering how much waste they produce. A nerite snail may be a good choice but the OP doesn't seem to like snails. Even then an extra water change would be needed because that is over stocking a tank that small.

You might get away with putting a shrimp or two in there but in a tank that small I can't see how the shrimp will be able to hide from the betta should he choose to eat them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #10 
Bettas are Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
I hate it when people say "Go out and buy a bigger one it's too small" Ugh. If you could buy a bigger one, what would you be doing with a 2.65 gal anyways? Shees. I do not know of any that would work. My betta is by himself in a 2.5 gal tank right now, but I a'm getting two cherry shrimp at Christmas time. =D I would recomend a snail. I know you said fish, but all the bottom feeders I can think of would out- grow the tank. Plecos grow huge, and cories are just scavengers. They won't clean the tank. Seriously, snails are SUPER cute and just 1 would be perfect. But be prepared with lettuce or the like when it needs food other then just algae. Because not much algae will grow in a 2.65 gal tank. Like.. ever. So make sure it gets enough food! Of course, I bet you prefer fish over snails. Most people do. Even I do! Your tank IS big enough for one other fish... but no bottom feeders would do. Snails is the only option. Darn. =(

Actually when i brought out that tank from the garage the whole thing was a covered in a thick layer of dark green algae and there is still a few spots with big dots getting bigger and bigger and its really hard to get out of the corners of the tank and all that goodness! :P