Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #1 
RedBeard

Exclamation PLEASE HELP, I Don't Want To Lose Another...

HI =) I just bought my first CrownedTail Betta on July 30th as a "pet" for my son's 2nd birthday, (YES, I knew I would be Mr. RedBeard's caretaker & to ALWAYS keep his tank in a safe place, out of reach of my son).

I bought Mr. RedBeard from PetCo along with:
~~ an Aqueon MiniBow 1gal desktop aquarium kit, which included;
~ a quite-flow power filter with 1 filter cartridge
~ an aquarium light hood with a 7-watt incandescent bulb
~ 1 trail-sized packet of Aqueon Betta food
~ 1 first & second use tap-water conditioner/treatment
I also purchased for Mr. RedBeard’s tank:
~~ a 2lb bag of red, pink & purple gravel rock's
~~ a 6oz bottle of concentrated conditioner and tap-water treatment
~~ gold standard betta pellet's
~~ 2 small plant's
~ 1 lotus-style so he could lay on it
~ 1 small neon pink soft-foxtail (which I trimmed down) for decoration & to bring
out his beautiful blue, green, teal & maroon color's & dark red/maroon whisker's
(which was where his name came from)
~~ and lastly a net to use if needed to take Mr. RedBeard out if needed when I cleaned his tank and
replaced the filter.

Through this entire process my husband and I had a FISH-sale’s associate with us helping to ensure we had everything we needed for Mr. RedBeard’s good health and long, happy life. This morning I awoke when my son did, went into his room to get him up and Mr. RedBeard was dead. His eye’s were bulged out with a white film covering his entire face. About four or five days before I noticed above where the light bulb was there was an indent in the plastic that looked like the bulb was melting it. I did turn the bulb off that night & decided to leave it off at night from then on. Last night as I was feeding Mr. RedBeard I did notice his eyes were bulged and they appeared to be capped like, you would see with a molting snake.
I tried repeatedly to call PetCo, but got no answer. This morning, after finding him dead, I called PetCo finally getting an associate. I attempted to tell them what had happened, that I wanted another Betta. They would not listen to me so I had my husband talk to the associate, he told them the same thing’s that I had and they told him the tank may have malfunctioned and we could bring in our tank, a water sample with Mr. RedBeard in it and they would replace everything.
What I want to know is, is there anything I can/should do differently???? Any advise would be useful & Thank you soooo much in advance.
RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #2 
Sarada

How long did you have him before he died?
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
Sarada

Also did you have a thermometer? If the bulb was hot enough to melt the plastic I am wondering if the water was too hot for the fish.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #4 
XSprinkleFaceX

To me it sounds like it was the tank melting issue that probably melted some chemicals into the fishes water and it poisoned him. If i were you I'd change the lightbulb next timet o a fluorescent. They tend to produce less heat than the incandescent.
And as for the tank a 2G is probably better for the fish since it's a little bigger for him to swim and all plus it makes things easier since you dont have to do as many water changes.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #5 
kuklachica

Did you change his water while you had him?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #6 
RedBeard

yes I did change the water once
RedBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
yes I did change the water once
Did you use a water conditioner?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #8 
Drift

I had an incident were the hood I bought had incandescent lighting. Tank's water parameters where good. Popped my Betta in, he was ok for an hour. Cam home 6 hours later to him on his side gasping. Touched the water and it was warmer than bath water. The hood almost cooked my poor boy. :( I never recommend them because of this encounter. I think this possibly could be the culprit of the water being to hot.
I would return the melted one and replace the light with a fluorescent bulb. I'm sure your betta would appreciate a larger tank if possible. Check craigslist, I've found several 10 gallons under the free section. Make sure you do multiple water changes weekly with a dechlorinator to keep the ammonia levels down too. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulged eyes, crowned tail, tank and tank care, white film