Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 
bloo97

Talking For Those Betta Fish People...

I wrote this paper today and I wanted to see what you guys thought!

How To Care For a Betta Fish

Betta fish are incredible. They are jam packed with personality, love human attention, and have some of the most beautiful colors on a fish. But unfortunatly, many of these fish are not treated well. Either they don't get fed, they have too small of a tank, or their water is not changed. I will tell you how, from my own excperience, how to care for your betta fish.

BOWLS & TANKS
A common misconseption about bettas is that they can live in tiny bowls or tanks. Even jars. Well, that is very bad. Betta fish need atleast a 1 gallon tank to be happy. But if you get a large or a king betta fish, it will need a larger tank. Some good tank accessories are: A filter, a heater, gravel, and a tank light.

FEEDING
Betta fish need to be fed reguarly, and depending on their size, anywhere from 3-8 pellets/flakes. Fasting day is when you don't feed your betta for one day to help with digestion.

BUBBLENESTS
If you notice a mass of bubbles in your tank, CONGRATULATIONS! You have a bubblenest! Males typically build these when they are sexually mature. You don't have to breed them if you see this.

MALES + MALES = BAD
NEVER, EVER, NOMATTER WHAT, PUT 2 MALES IN THE SAME TANK!!! The males are extremely territorials and will fight to the death.

These are just the basics of betta keeping, and there is no limit to all of the facts about betta fish out there! I hope this helps you enter the awesome world of betta fish!

So what do you all think? Any (Nice) comments will be appreciated!!

(If your from bettafish.com You Have already seen this.)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #2 
CaliforniaFishkeeper

Quote:
MALES + MALES = BAD
NEVER, EVER, NOMATTER WHAT, PUT 2 MALES IN THE SAME TANK!!!
IDK why I'm posting this here in particular, but the bold wording like triggered a memory of mine...

Anyways, a buddy of mine who used to breed bettas kept 2 male brothers in the same 10g for years and had no problems. It was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. He just told me that they had been together as fry and were transferred into the 10g as juveniles together and had lived together ever since. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Last edited by CaliforniaFishkeeper; 08-12-2010 at 07:34 PM.
CaliforniaFishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #3 
bloo97

Wow! That's so cool! I wonder why they didn't attack each other....?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #4 
CaliforniaFishkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Wow! That's so cool! I wonder why they didn't attack each other....?
I don't know, but I've heard that in the wild they aren't as aggressive and that it's selective breeding for fighting purposes that intensified aggression in the species among males.
CaliforniaFishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5 
bloo97

Oh, I've heard of that. (:
Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
I wrote this paper today and I wanted to see what you guys thought!

How To Care For a Betta Fish

Betta fish are incredible. They are jam packed with personality, love human attention, and have some of the most beautiful colors on a fish. But unfortunatly, many of these fish are not treated well. Either they don't get fed, they have too small of a tank, or their water is not changed. I will tell you how, from my own excperience, how to care for your betta fish.

BOWLS & TANKS
A common misconseption about bettas is that they can live in tiny bowls or tanks. Even jars. Well, that is very bad. Betta fish need atleast a 1 gallon tank to be happy. But if you get a large or a king betta fish, it will need a larger tank. Some good tank accessories are: A filter, a heater, gravel, and a tank light.

FEEDING
Betta fish need to be fed reguarly, and depending on their size, anywhere from 3-8 pellets/flakes. Fasting day is when you don't feed your betta for one day to help with digestion.

BUBBLENESTS
If you notice a mass of bubbles in your tank, CONGRATULATIONS! You have a bubblenest! Males typically build these when they are sexually mature. You don't have to breed them if you see this.

MALES + MALES = BAD
NEVER, EVER, NOMATTER WHAT, PUT 2 MALES IN THE SAME TANK!!! The males are extremely territorials and will fight to the death.

These are just the basics of betta keeping, and there is no limit to all of the facts about betta fish out there! I hope this helps you enter the awesome world of betta fish!

So what do you all think? Any (Nice) comments will be appreciated!!

(If your from bettafish.com You Have already seen this.)

This post feels like one designed to invite plenty of controversy (perhaps not).
Would agree that they are attractive ,and also hardy fishes if kept in proper enviornments.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #7 
bloo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
This post feels like one designed to invite plenty of controversy (perhaps not).
Would agree that they are attractive ,and also hardy fishes if kept in proper enviornments.
Nah, It's not ment to create controversy. Just an article I thought I might share.