Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #1 
Capricorn

Nitrite spike... again.

I really just don't get this anymore. So two days ago I lost all of my ghost shrimp due to an error on my part. The nitrites in my tank spiked way, way up. A Partial water change didn't cut them back down, so I removed my female betta, did a 100% change, and put her back in the next day. Last night the levels were fine, and today I get home (just now), check the water, and they've jumped back up again! Nothing's changed in that tank, and overnight the nitrites have come back up again.

Any theories? About to do a partial change again to see if that helps.. I've used so much water in the past week changing tanks that my parents are going to flay me alive, haha.

I'll fill out the info sheet if you guys want it, by the way.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a min-cycle going on....this is a filtered tank...right?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Yeah, it's filtered. Should I let it run its course, then? Is it safe to leave the fish in or no? Every time I check the water the nitrites are up to 1-2.5ish, so at the moment she's in a critter keeper next to me instead. What usually triggers these. OFL?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When your shrimp died and you did the big clean you most likely up-set the cycle/balance of the tank, it may take a couple of days to 1-2 weeks to settle all depending on how long it was cycled to start
If you didn't do anything with the filter media like clean in tap water, change it out and/or over cleaning of the substrate it may fix itself in a day or so, I would keep up with water only changes to keep the nitrite in the less than 0.5ppm range if you keep the Betta in the tank, if not you need to feed the tank daily or the bacteria will starve and monitor daily
What are your nitrate reading and any ammonia reading-also pH and water temp
Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #5 
Capricorn

I don't have the ammonia reading since I didn't make it to the LPS today, but right now I'm looking at ~1.5ppm for nitrite, my ph is near 8.4 (ouch) and the water temp is ~82 degrees.

The filter was rinsed gently in water from the tank, but not scrubbed or replaced.. hopefully that'll be okay?

I think I'll keep the betta out for at least a day or two until I can get a hold on the nitrites in there at least a little better.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

No nitrate reading? that is a really important one to have and the one that will tell you if you are cycled or not

Your pH and temp are fine-I just wanted to make sure the pH was not too low for it to properly cycle.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #7 
Capricorn

Er, yeah, I do have a nitrate reading, forgot to add that in.. it's at about 10, the color is someplace between 0 and 20 on my chart here.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #8 
Ajones108

What kind of testing kit are you using?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #9 
Capricorn

It's one of those dumb dip-stick ones, I have to stop by the LPS on Monday to get a good liquid one.. I did check it on my own tap water and my ten gallon, though, and they both came back with no nitrites present.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #10 
Ajones108

I don't really know then... I'm trying to figure out why MY nitrites spiked but I'm using a liquid kit.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote