Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #11 
vaygirl

You can leave him in the hospital tank for a couple days after to monitor. Just make sure to do a good water change after the meds are done.

If it's one ml per gallon (and I think it is but check the bottle and make sure) then one and a half drops isn't enough. One thread on the lid is one ml. It's something like 15-20 drops. I have an ml syringe that I use and I just counted it out. It's probably easier to use 1 thread on the lid.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #12 
sgoheen08

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
You can leave him in the hospital tank for a couple days after to monitor. Just make sure to do a good water change after the meds are done.

If it's one ml per gallon (and I think it is but check the bottle and make sure) then one and a half drops isn't enough. One thread on the lid is one ml. It's something like 15-20 drops. I have an ml syringe that I use and I just counted it out. It's probably easier to use 1 thread on the lid.
Well the bottle only reads 2 capfulls per 10gallons...(Not very helpful)--my boyfriend did the math and said I would need 1/10 of the capfull which seemed like just a drop or two eyeing it..It didnt turn his water blue at all..not sure if it is supposed to though..Maybe what he calculated was for just one capful..agh..IDK.. And when you say "good" water change, does that mean a complete 100% water change? Or just 50%? Also, while I am medicating-should I change the water 25% daily? or just do that on the days that I give him the medicine?

Thanks for all your help! I just really want to save him, he is such a trooper!
sgoheen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #13 
vaygirl

Most caps are 5ml but I could be wrong. It would be helpful if they gave you the ml dosage on the bottle but I guess they left that bit out. How big is the bottle? And is the lid the same diameter as a quarter?

You could try going to the company website and looking at the FAQ or even mailing someone there to find out the proper dosage for a 1 gallon.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #14 
sgoheen08

Quote:
Most caps are 5ml but I could be wrong. It would be helpful if they gave you the ml dosage on the bottle but I guess they left that bit out. How big is the bottle? And is the lid the same diameter as a quarter?

You could try going to the company website and looking at the FAQ or even mailing someone there to find out the proper dosage for a 1 gallon.
Ok, I totally missed the parenthesis that it had after 2 capfuls. So the bottle reads: treat with 2 capfuls (10mL) per 10 gallons.

yes the cap is the same diameter as a quarter.

So I should give him 1mL per gallon. Duh! This is what his water conditioner says too! I should have known..but since I have that all figured out, and since I dont have a mL measurer...I need to know how many teaspoons equals a mL (Ill figure this out hopefully through google). But if you know how many drops 1mL would be then that would save me some time..

So do you suggest me starting the medication days over since I didnt put much in? The amount I put in yesterday was basically a quarter of a teaspoon (i filled a 1/2 teaspoon halfway equalling a quarter of a teaspoon)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #15 
sgoheen08

The amount I put in yesterday was actually a half of a 1/4 teaspoon (i filled a 1/4 teaspoon halfway) which tells me it was almost the right amount because I should be giving him just under a 1/4 teaspoon since 1tsp=5mL and 1/2 tsp=2.5mL and a 1/4 tsp=1.25mL

Last edited by sgoheen08; 08-19-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #16 
Phoxly

You definitely have a fighter on your hands, I'm surprised he has lasted so long, you are doing the right stuff though! I'm rooting for him.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #17 
sgoheen08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
You definitely have a fighter on your hands, I'm surprised he has lasted so long, you are doing the right stuff though! I'm rooting for him.
Thanks phoxly..He is such a trooper and he had to deal with an irresponsible owner (me) and I feel so bad for not knowing all the things I know now when I first got him. I feel like I did this to him and now I am trying everything possible to help him make it through this! If he doesnt pull through, I will be devastated becus I have grown sooo attached to him and hes pretty much all I think about now...im constantly worrying about him and I dont feel ok unless I am right next to him. :(

I know I know its just a fish..but in my house, hes another family member as are all of my pets...lol
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #18 
vaygirl

You were darn close, so I'd just continue what you're doing. :)

And as for the water change, yeah, I'd do a full when the meds are done just to eliminate any ammonia. I don't think you're supposed to change the water during meds. It should say on the bottle whether you do or you don't. Sorry I can't be more help in that department. I've been lucky thus far with no sick fish. All my dosing info comes from using liquid fertilizer for my plants.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #19 
sgoheen08

Quote:
You were darn close, so I'd just continue what you're doing. :)

And as for the water change, yeah, I'd do a full when the meds are done just to eliminate any ammonia. I don't think you're supposed to change the water during meds. It should say on the bottle whether you do or you don't. Sorry I can't be more help in that department. I've been lucky thus far with no sick fish. All my dosing info comes from using liquid fertilizer for my plants.
No, you have been great...thank you soo much for all your helpful info!

The bottle says no water changes neccessary or temperature adjustments but I will continue to keep his tank at 79-80 degrees which his heater seems to be doing ok now..

I will continue his treatment..so tomorrow (day 3) I will add maracide again and also on Sunday (day 5) then should I continue to keep him in the medicated tank a couple days after? Or should I put him in his ready 1.5 gal tank once he is done with meds (day 7)?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #20 
vaygirl

It's really up to you. He might be more comfy in his home tank. Whichever you think would help him recover his mojo. :)